Waiting 2.1.2: Journeymap waypoints erasing sporadically between session.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
This is the second time I have lost all the waypoints that I have set in journeymap. I started up the game from the curse launcher. Connect to my server and found all waypoints had been erased.

First time I had gone into a single player save that was using the same save name and seed as the server. When I reonnected to the server all the waypoints I had set were gone. I am not for sure if they were in the single player save. It showed the server map for a instance then wrote the single player map over it.

This time I disconnected the server. The waypoints were there at this time. Uninstalled Mcaffee Antivirus plus. Then restarted my PC. Edited a libre office spreadsheet. Saved, then closed it. Loaded Curse. Loaded Infinity. Loaded my terraria OST playlist through VLC media player. Connected to my server. Checked for windows updates. Was showing mom how waypoints would help her get back to her base if she were to try playing again. When I noticed I had no waypoints to show her. They were all gone.

Not for sure what caused it. Journeymap has always been spotty when it came to maps, and waypoints. This is the first set of times I have lost all my waypoints and not been sure of the reason though.

Mod & Version:
journeymap-1.7.10-5.1.1rc1-unlimited.jar

Edit 001:
I might know part of the cause. I looked in the journey map data folder. In the mp folder it has my server listed six times. I am not for sure the exact save mechanic for journey as far as differentiating between maps. It is the root of all my issues though. I think it actually decides it by world name or the name of the connection used. So the seed is totally ignored. Which I think is actually the most important part of what makes maps different.

I am thinking now it didn't erase my maps and waypoints as use a different folder then the one they were saved in. The "server name" that is set by the client for that server may be the only variable used in by jouneymap to label the save folder for the map. not for sure though. The folder names for multiplayer are rather complex it seems.

Last edited:

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I've noticed the same thing. It happens whenever the serer is updated to a different pack version (2.1.1 to 2.1.2 for example). You can just copy the data from one server instance into the newest. Just make sure to do it when the server you play on updates the pack.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed the same thing. It happens whenever the serer is updated to a different pack version (2.1.1 to 2.1.2 for example). You can just copy the data from one server instance into the newest. Just make sure to do it when the server you play on updates the pack.
Yeah, it always happens on updates to the packs that use it. This is a different issue though. I haven't updated or reset the curse instance to cause this. I could show a image of what I mean. I will work on that. I guess.

Edit 001:
Turns out the image wouldn't have helped. Half the folders and waypoints refereed to the old world that the server was using. Only three of the six folder that referred to that server were for this world.I also haven't updated the server any of the times this has happened.

I haven't changed the motd in server.properties any of the times either.

Last edited:

Velasticus

Jul 29, 2019
Something is causing your local machine or server to reset configs or reset the UUID that JourneyMap assigns. I had to hardcode the UUID on our server so it doesn't change between modpack updates. You can configure this by editing (or creating) your JourneyMap server config in <minecraft_dir>/config/JourneyMapServer/<SERVER_NAME>.cfg:

Code:
{
  "WorldID": "0126e20f-abcd-4c41-efgh-e88955a615af",
  "UseWorldID": true,
  "SaveInWorldFolder": false,
  "cave": {
    "PlayerCaveMapping": true,
    "OpCaveMapping": true,
    "WhiteListCaveMapping": ""
  },
  "radar": {
    "PlayerRadar": true,
    "OpRadar": true,
    "WhiteListRadar": ""
  },
  "ConfigVersion": 1.12
}

The key elements are the "WorldID" setting (you can get this from the list of numbers that follow your JourneyMap directory name) and the "UseWorldId" setting (needs to be set to true).

Reactions: DeathOfTime

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Something is causing your local machine or server to reset configs or reset the UUID that JourneyMap assigns. I had to hardcode the UUID on our server so it doesn't change between modpack updates. You can configure this by editing (or creating) your JourneyMap server config in <minecraft_dir>/config/JourneyMapServer/<SERVER_NAME>.cfg:

Code:
{
  "WorldID": "0126e20f-abcd-4c41-efgh-e88955a615af",
  "UseWorldID": true,
  "SaveInWorldFolder": false,
  "cave": {
    "PlayerCaveMapping": true,
    "OpCaveMapping": true,
    "WhiteListCaveMapping": ""
  },
  "radar": {
    "PlayerRadar": true,
    "OpRadar": true,
    "WhiteListRadar": ""
  },
  "ConfigVersion": 1.12
}

The key elements are the "WorldID" setting (you can get this from the list of numbers that follow your JourneyMap directory name) and the "UseWorldId" setting (needs to be set to true).
I will have a look into this. Thanks. I will reply if there is any further issue related to this.

Edit 001:
Right after downloading the file, editing it, then re-uploading it. I found out there was a update to infinity. So now I am setting up the update to my server and client.

It isn't a good Idea to click on the update from the Browse Modpacks/Infinity/Versions screen. It erases the entire instance and installs a new one. Probably didn't help that I cancelled it as soon as I had seen what I had done. Now I need to completely reconfigure my client. That will take awhile. I haven't backed anything up from that instance in ages. I also deleted the backups that curse made with the instance that was still listed on its main minecraft page. The instance was already gone. Curse just hadn't realized it had erased it yet.

LoL, setting everything back up is going to be awhile.

Last edited:

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
You can change in the Server Config of Journeymap so the data gets stored in the World folder of the Server.
Took me thinking about it to figure out what you actually meant. A little research on the Journeymap wiki helped too. At first I thought it was that it would save the map data to the config file. Eventually got it straightened out in my head, I think. It will save the "Wrold ID' there.

I am still figuring out the exact settings I want to use. Until those are set in stone everyone on the server will probably be losing there map data on at least a temporary basis.

I am trying out the one you mentioned now. Along with setting my own custom World ID, and setting it to actually use the world ID. Will see eventually if all the setting changes gets everything working the way I want it to.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
OK, I think I got it all figured out.

The server didn't like me setting the World ID in game. Doesn't seem like any other option was really available. The WroldID file in the worlds save folder wasn't understandable when i loaded it in my text editor. When the other player and me disconencted from server to sort out the files to the new client side mp world data folder in Journeymap we could no longer connect to the server. I did manage to get into game on my second try. It kicked me out as soon as I got to see I had made into game though. Every attempt after that failed. Even restarting the client was no good.

It stated on the journeymap wiki that setting the world id in game wouldn't cause any issue. I am not for sure what went wrong. I looked at the relevant files. They looked alright. Though they had been edited by the server recently. I restarted the server and haven't had a issue since. No one else that has connected to the server has ran into any problems either.

Going to see if I can tag this thread as solved. I am not certain of it being fixed though. I think as long as I remember to take measure on modpack updates it shouldn't be a issue any longer.

edit 001:
solved tag wasn't available. there were three choices. I didn't think open, or closed fit. So it is now tagged with waiting. which fits really well. As I will be waiting to see if the issue I reported is still a issue in the future.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Journey map unlimited 5.1.1 for 1.8 has been released and its not from the beta.
Nice to know. I will be really happy when a modpack I am playing releases that version.

No, Really, It actually is good to know. I really like Journey map. It has been one of my favorite map mods. Thanks for the information.