Chicken chunks got the axe in Infinity update?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Went to make a chunk loader in my newest world and no matter how much I retyped "chunk loader" or clicky clicked, no chicken chunks chunk loader. I am not amused. The MFR chunk loader is not an acceptable option. Thats what i get for updating. :/

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I might be a complete idiot, but I am absolutely unable to find the actual changelogs on the new changelog site...

Could they have moved to the Immibis loaders like so many other packs have these days?

(On that note there might be some technical reason why Immibis loaders are better, but I do find that Chickenchunks offers FAR superior features)

mathchamp

Jul 29, 2019
Chicken chunks is still available but disabled by default. If you click "Edit Mod Pack" you can enable it.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Pretty sure they removed ChickenChunks when they added FTBUtilities, which adds the ability to force-load chunks without having to use any actual, physical blocks.

I haven't messed with it yet, so I don't know what all goes into that.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I might be a complete idiot, but I am absolutely unable to find the actual changelogs on the new changelog site...

Could they have moved to the Immibis loaders like so many other packs have these days?

(On that note there might be some technical reason why Immibis loaders are better, but I do find that Chickenchunks offers FAR superior features)

To get to the changelogs you need to actually click on the link that looks like it should start the download. That takes you to a download links page which includes the changelog.

On the thread issue: isn't ChickenChunks removed because ForgeCraft2 has dropped it as a major source of player induced lag. The railcraft world and personal anchors are preferred as the world anchor can be instructed to require fuel but not interact with pipes, and the personal anchor can be configured to allow free use to load players bases while they are online.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
On the thread issue: isn't ChickenChunks removed because ForgeCraft2 has dropped it as a major source of player induced lag. The railcraft world and personal anchors are preferred as the world anchor can be instructed to require fuel but not interact with pipes, and the personal anchor can be configured to allow free use to load players bases while they are online.
ChickenChunks have had the configs to set chunk limits per player, work only when online, CD after logging out before they disable etc. for ages(if not always).
A common practice that have worked since I started playing was setting it to limited chunks per player, only loaded when online. If permanent Chunkloaders were really needed the server OP could then be petitioned to place down a OP chunkloader(which have separate configs).

You cannot blame the mod for server owners inability to set up their servers through very basic config settings.

To get to the changelogs you need to actually click on the link that looks like it should start the download.
:confused:.......
That is about the most unintuitive piece of webdesign I have EVER seen...

Last edited:
Reactions: DeathOfTime

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
ChickenChunks have had the configs to set chunk limits per player, work only when online, CD after logging out before they disable etc. for ages(if not always).
A common practice that have worked since I started playing was setting it to limited chunks per player, only loaded when online. If permanent Chunkloaders were really needed the server OP could then be petitioned to place down a OP chunkloader(which have separate configs).

You cannot blame the mod for server owners inability to set up their servers through very basic config settings.

:confused:.......
That is about the most unintuitive piece of webdesign I have EVER seen...

As I posted in another thread on the subject of Changelogs, I never thought about selecting the download link because I look at changelogs while in the process of updating the pack... Why would I click to download? I'm sure those needing the Zip files anyway didn't have any problems... :D

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
FTBUtilities, which adds the ability to force-load chunks without having to use any actual, physical blocks.
How do you get it to force load chunks? What govern's when the chunks are loaded?
Holy crap! Thats what that map is! Thank you so much! :D
I would like verification that this is what one of the things that setting claims on the utilities map does. It might explain some stuff, and help me decide on what settings are best. Right now I have been changing the settings to give the players on my server more freedoms without making them op. For example I changed the limit on homes to five for everyone. I set the claim chunk limit to 1,000 for everyone. Any player could decide how explosions work on there chunks. The creepers are suffering for it, instead of walking away they have gained the power of the endermen and just disappear before my eyes.. That is a small price to pay though.

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
FTBUtilities will have the ability to chunk load. This feature is not implemented yet.

ChickenChunks as some awesome configs to limit how chunks get loaded but it was also causing a lot of issues and corrupted chunks. I think the main reason to have the mod disabled by default is actually that, chunk corruption. Many people and servers lost worlds coz of ChickenChunks...

If you want to limit players to only have loaded chunks when they are online, make a small minetweaker script to remove the world anchor and only allow personal world anchors. These ones only load the chunk when the player is online.

Soon(tm), FTBUtilities will have chunk loading and all this issues will be in the past

Reactions: DeathOfTime

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
FTBUtilities will have the ability to chunk load. This feature is not implemented yet.

ChickenChunks as some awesome configs to limit how chunks get loaded but it was also causing a lot of issues and corrupted chunks. I think the main reason to have the mod disabled by default is actually that, chunk corruption. Many people and servers lost worlds coz of ChickenChunks...

If you want to limit players to only have loaded chunks when they are online, make a small minetweaker script to remove the world anchor and only allow personal world anchors. These ones only load the chunk when the player is online.

Soon(tm), FTBUtilities will have chunk loading and all this issues will be in the past
FYI: Railcraft's config has options to enable or disable each of its chunkloaders, as well as set fuel usages for each and whether or not they can be automated. Unless you want non-default recipes, Minetweaker isn't even needed.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

I do not buy this world corruption "issue" with chicken chunks at all. I believe that at around MC 1.4.7 there were bugs that could cause chunk resets, but for the longest time the heavy lifting of chunkloading has actually been mostly handled by forge - any world corrupting bugs from one chunkloader should manifest just as strongly in other chunk loaders.

Reactions: rhn

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
FYI: Railcraft's config has options to enable or disable each of its chunkloaders, as well as set fuel usages for each and whether or not they can be automated. Unless you want non-default recipes, Minetweaker isn't even needed.
So used to MT that I actually forget the configs
I do not buy this world corruption "issue" with chicken chunks at all. I believe that at around MC 1.4.7 there were bugs that could cause chunk resets, but for the longest time the heavy lifting of chunkloading has actually been mostly handled by forge - any world corrupting bugs from one chunkloader should manifest just as strongly in other chunk loaders.
I never had a problem with them but internet is full of reports with them...

Sent from my CUBOT ONE using Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I never had a problem with them but internet is full of reports with them...
And we should always trust what we read on the internet!

There was an issue in one specific 1.4.7 version. I was playing on a server back then and witnessed its effect. But to my knowledge and experience there have been no issues since.

We should all be vary of ignorant people who encounter bugs and just blaming the first thing that comes to mind. Like when Enderstorage was massively blamed for causing chunk resets everywhere, but strangely enough it seemed to only be when using them in junction with Enter-thermic pumps... Any other pumps or other applications was fine.
Maybe some of these bugs are not as simple as "This mod BAD!"

NunoAgapito

Jul 29, 2019
I am not saying to trust on the Internet... But if experienced pack makers that have direct access to mod developers and forge developers also comment about CC causing chunk corruption in some situations that no one can actually pinpoint then maybe, there is an issue. As I said, I never had an issue and love them but if they can actually cause an issue and corrupt a world that I will give an extra time dedication(talking about Expert mode), I will trust their decision.

And the Enderstorage/ender pump/quarry chunk reset did actually happened. Not sure if its fixed now but ender chests used to have a strange way of loading the chunk, not properly recommended by Forge and would cause the chunk reset when the enderquarry also tried to load the chunk. I think it had something to do with the enderchest selfloading the chunk instead of using Forge methods and when the quarry asked Forge to load the chunk, all strange things happened and forge just assumed chunk was corrupted and regenerated it.

To me, it only happened with enderchest and enderquarries. Strangely enough, never had an issue with ender pumps and ender tanks.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

...and then Vanilla Minecraft was changed. A multitude of times, if you count all the snapshots :D

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I am not saying to trust on the Internet... But if experienced pack makers that have direct access to mod developers and forge developers also comment about CC causing chunk corruption in some situations that no one can actually pinpoint then maybe, there is an issue. As I said, I never had an issue and love them but if they can actually cause an issue and corrupt a world that I will give an extra time dedication(talking about Expert mode), I will trust their decision.

And the Enderstorage/ender pump/quarry chunk reset did actually happened. Not sure if its fixed now but ender chests used to have a strange way of loading the chunk, not properly recommended by Forge and would cause the chunk reset when the enderquarry also tried to load the chunk. I think it had something to do with the enderchest selfloading the chunk instead of using Forge methods and when the quarry asked Forge to load the chunk, all strange things happened and forge just assumed chunk was corrupted and regenerated it.

To me, it only happened with enderchest and enderquarries. Strangely enough, never had an issue with ender pumps and ender tanks.

Not only this, but the CC problem was confirmed by experimentation on Forgecraft... A private server populated by said Forge and Mod Developers.