Applied Energistics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
My opinion:

Not the worst thread title I've ever seen. It doesn't exactly provide information as to what the thread is about, but it makes readers curious and motivates them to click on it. It also evokes mental images of Guild Wars 2's Asura race.

You might want to capitalize the second word, since it's a title.

I would rate this thread title a 6.5 out of 10.

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
...I think i'll actually be on topic...

I've played with it a little bit in a ssp world of mine based on direwolf20 pack. (I also have logistics pipes)

It's REALLY powerful just from the sheer amount of items the drives can hold. Fairly expensive but having a lot of your items stored in one *block* (A lot more goes into it than one block but yes it is all in one block) is incredibly nice. I haven't gotten far enough to begin auto crafting and I'm not quite sure if it can automate resource processing (ores into ingots) like my old log pipe system could very easily but the storage part is just so powerful.

That said, actually powering it makes using it at any point of early game, a nightmare. From my experience it uses basically its own biogas engine to power it. Given that i hadn't messed with biogas before it means I spend a lot of down time keeping it running so i actually have access to my storage system. My other problem with that idea is eventually once you get the resources to actually generate power with out issue, it's just a pain and serves no real purpose other than to be annoying. You setup an advanced or mv solar array and laugh at the waste of space you just made because it requires power. I understand why, but I feel like there could be better ways to do so.

That said I freaking love the features so I deal with it and cant wait to learn more of it. (Auto crafting looks amazing) Also I cant understate how expensive it is. Where logistics pipes was kinda spendy on the iron and gold, This thing requires its own new fairly rare ore(Less rare than diamonds and spawns pretty high up), and blows through gold and diamonds.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
On a serious note, might try it. The screenshots looked complex and scary, but I managed to tackle routers, so I'll give this a try.

Syrinori

Jul 29, 2019
On a serious note, might try it. The screenshots looked complex and scary, but I managed to tackle routers, so I'll give this a try.
It looks complex and I havn't messed with a lot of it. But for basic storage and access the screenshots really overcomplicate it.

You make a me controller, a drive, and an access terminal, make a storage disk, place all machines next to each other, power the me controller with some form of mj or eu power. Place the disk in the drive. Access drive (Deposit or withdrawl items) via access terminal.

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
The consensus seems to be that it's overpowered, but having played with it extensively this weekend, I really don't understand that judgment. Not only are all the machines and their components expensive to craft, they also require a ton of Buildcraft power to craft them. Nearly all of AE's blocks require a component that needs to be made in an Assembly Table with gold/diamonds and a rare new ore (quartz). You won't be making any of this stuff until you have a significant infrastructure already in place, making it a mid-end game mod. Unlike EE2, it doesn't give you any methods to generate resources. It doesn’t add any crazy tools or armor… well, it adds a tool that lets you smelt cobble into smooth stone in the environment, but making your floor look pretty at the cost of energy is hardly OP. Nor does it really allow you to condense all your storage into one block. You will need at least three- one block to house the drives which contain your items (ME Drive), one which allows you to access your items (ME Access Terminal), and one which keeps the system powered and acts as the hub of the network (ME controller). If you want to be able to pump items into your ME network and customize your drive storage, you will also need the ME interface and ME preformatter.

Prior to implementing Applied Energistics, I had 6 full silver chests. After implementing AE, I have a 5 block storage network, the contents of which can be accessed through one single block. It requires constant power (IC or BC) to run. So, overpowered? I hardly think so. It is, however, completely awesome. I haven’t gotten to implementing wireless access, automatic crafting, or automated input/ouput yet, due to the cost… but the mod can do all of these things. In the beginning stages, Applied Energistics is just a really expensive way to put your items into drives of various sizes instead of chests of various sizes. You’ll need to invest a significant amount of time, power and resources before you can really reap the benefits. I’d argue that you needn’t bother until your storage room is getting really full, and you have resources to burn. Unless you just love the idea. Which I do.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Stuff, in Times New Roman and font size 3 for some reason...
I've done some survival playing around with this mod, and ditto to all that this guy has said. However, unlike most people here it seems, I've actually gotten into automation. It is very powerful, but does nothing a Logistics Pipes system can't do, just a lot faster. Also, it is ridiculously expensive compared to ANY other automation mod, even if you ignore the non-trivial power requirement.
Overall, I think it is an awesome way to add mid-to-late game automation and item storage, and an even more awesome way to bring your base resources together in a single 'cloud', so to speak. However, to do anything more powerful then a room full of barrels, you'll need to do a LOT of mining and have a solid energy infrastructure set up.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that, in terms of lag produced, it is leaps and bounds over RP and BC.

EDIT2: And this link may be useful to mention as well: http://ae-mod.info/

Reactions: Zexks

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
I wrote two posts in Word (Arial, size 10) earlier and copy and pasted them into the forum. For some reason, that messed up the font. My other post turned blue. :S

Edit: Both posts are now fixed, and easier on the eyes.

Reactions: abculatter_2

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I love the idea that power failures could potentially cut you off from your inventory, making it extremely difficult to fix the power failure. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1361817976][/DOUBLEPOST]
EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that, in terms of lag produced, it is leaps and bounds over RP and BC.

Is that leaps and bounds better, or leaps and bounds worse?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Is that leaps and bounds better, or leaps and bounds worse?
Leaps and Bounds better, mainly due to there being no item entities whizzing about everywhere.
Though, there may be other things I'm unaware of that makes it more laggy in certain cases, but as far as I can tell it's just overall better in that regard.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, there are a lot of really bad youtube "tutorials" and spotlights for this mod where the person does way too much talking about how to make each block but spends zero time actually showing it working and what it can do. Having tried it in single player I just didn't like it all. It strikes me as a cross between CC, FZ and then GT and SC on steroids for being frustratingly hard to make even basic stuff happen, just for the sake of it. I don't really get the point of it either. I get the feeling that the mod was created to solve some sort of problem that doesn't actually exist.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Firstly, there are a lot of really bad youtube "tutorials" and spotlights for this mod where the person does way too much talking about how to make each block but spends zero time actually showing it working and what it can do. Having tried it in single player I just didn't like it all. It strikes me as a cross between CC, FZ and then GT and SC on steroids for being frustratingly hard to make even basic stuff happen, just for the sake of it. I don't really get the point of it either. I get the feeling that the mod was created to solve some sort of problem that doesn't actually exist.

It's an evolved variant of the concept expressed by Logistics Pipes. This seems very desirable to me. Probably what people are stressing about is that a unified version of logistics pipes without the limiter of chest storage shoots a metaphorical broadside into every other item transport method. Imagine an ore processing and sorting system based off this mod. While expensive, it would essentially be homogenous; an input ender chest and a few paddles attached to machines. Boom. Obama does the exploding fistbump to you as you solve the nation's logistics problems and finally fix those bridges.

That said, I'm really confused by some of the features in the mod. For example: why would you ever want multiple networks? Seems like the disk formatting would let you deal with potential issues there far more eloquently. The only thing I can think of is that huge inputs like multi-quarries might be segregated from the main network so as to prevent them from filling up your storage disks with garbage.

Reactions: Guswut