In your opinion: BuildCraft of Redpower

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Best system for transport of items

• Total voters

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Transposer basically = obsidian pipes though.

Void pipes have no equal in redpower though, the smallest you can get is 2 blocks I guess with transposer + lava, but even then it's meh compared to void pipes.

It works identically to void pipes per people's looks into the code, and is a good deal cheaper than a void pipe, so I'd disagree in that regard.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
if better to you means pulling single items but being more compact (by a single block) then yeah, I guess...
but still, no.

Lack of block updates is the primary reason. Simply a better design for a item transport network except in cases when there are multiple close-by destinations (such as a wall of similar machinery) is secondary. More compact is tertiary.

Futalis

Jul 29, 2019
RP machine's lag issues (I'm looking at you relays, and timer spamming) has caused me to revisit BC pipes for my systems. I'm loving BC pipes way more than RP at the moment.

If Eloraam were to fix the lag issues inherent in her engines and make it so that her engines didn't need a physical copy of the item (for filtering) and instead made ghost copies (like the diamond pipes) then maybe I'd switch back.

Also, most of the machinery we use works way better with BC pipes than with RP due to how BC pipes are inventory smart whereas RP tubes are direction dependent (which means BC systems have a bit more flexibility).

Edit: Also, thermal expansion liquiducts and conduits wherever I can spare. I refuse to use conductive pipes and waterproof pipes.

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower for anything more complex. If I want something quick and compact, then a wooden pipe with an autarchic gate works great (especially if a turn is needed, since you can't put a turn right next to the source inventory with RP because filters/transpoers have to face directly away from it). Everything else, though? RP tubes are superior for making sure stuff ends up exactly where it should, as well as being much simpler to create complex structures with thanks to covers keeping them from joining, and the ease of adding covers to tubes that are already in place (facades work for covering up holes, but nothing else, and even then they can be cumbersome to install if you don't plan ahead). BC pipes only win out because gates can add conditionals, and even then that tends to be a matter of convenience more so than anything else (though I couldn't have set up my system that shuts off the water supply to my fermenter when apple juice is available without using a gate). And also apiarist's pipes. They're useful.

Reactions: Confidential1207

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
It works identically to void pipes per people's looks into the code, and is a good deal cheaper than a void pipe, so I'd disagree in that regard.
Weren't void pipes supposed to be "less intensive" on servers?

And also, it's not much cheaper- one glass a ink sack and a redstone vs a piston, something else, cobble and wood? It's about the same, and with void pipes you get 8. Plus it take 2 blocks, not one.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
I use both. Buildcraft has become better over the last couple of updates.. And RedPower is great.. But to much of it causes way to much lag. So I tend to use Redpower for the huge projects.. And Buildcraft for the Others... Or the ones that need lots of pipes.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Weren't void pipes supposed to be "less intensive" on servers?

And also, it's not much cheaper- one glass a ink sack and a redstone vs a piston, something else, cobble and wood? It's about the same, and with void pipes you get 8. Plus it take 2 blocks, not one.

The way RP2 handles the request of sending something into a block of lava (from what I heard, so this may be incorrect) is that it just removes the item (which is identical to how a void pipe works).

But I was thinking of obsidian pipes, heh. Void pipes are cheaper (unless you've got Mo Creatures enabled, then good luck ever finding squid for ink sacks), and a better choice. But not the only choice.

Zafum

Jul 29, 2019
Transposer basically = obsidian pipes though.

Not really, obsidian pipes don't require a Redstone signal, and are easier to use in larger quantities.

Nobody's mentioned the RP Manager yet, which can often negate the need for laggy Timers. They're expensive though :|

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Not really, obsidian pipes don't require a Redstone signal, and are easier to use in larger quantities.

Nobody's mentioned the RP Manager yet, which can often negate the need for laggy Timers. They're expensive though :|
If you chuck an item into the larger hole side it automatically ingests it and chucks it into tubes on the small end.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Nor do transposers. adding a redstone signal to a transposer just makes it's area of "suck" larger, similar to putting an engine on an obsidian pipe.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Eh

BC - 4/10, randomness, dropping stuff, engines to power engines to power engines, hard timing, gates, low cost, good for simple small setups, autocraftingbench, hoppers(wish they collected from the top, like a hungry chest, would be great for water based systems same as the hopper in better than wolves)
RP - 7/10 laggy, hate timers, hate forth, love relays, love the logical way the items move, great sorting, wish there was a multi-output rellay
RC - 6/10 sound spam, large footprint, stuff comes in batches, need buffering, some more complicated machinery is very VERY hard to do. Lovely logical item flow, precise control, real messy in larger systems, costly too, great for medium closed loop systems
Factoryzation - 7/10 Love routers, magnificent amazing powerful routers, tiniest footprint ever, useless without rellays/tubes/pipes, learning curve, high cost, pretty much useless w/o machine filter a/o item filter = 1 diamond each, great for MASSIVE SYSTEMS WITH MASSIVE ITEMS FLOWS, neat but flawed sorting, needs a sorter to filter out the stuff you DON'T want sorted into barrels, packager, barrels
Gtech - didn't play much with this yet, nice with other IC machinery, cost
Thaumcraft - 6,5/10 limited use, golems get into each others way, very high cost, vastly superior item collection, +points for style. Golems + rellays = love
CC - 2/10 - inefficient for transport/collection, learning curve, superior for everything else, however, question was transport
TE - 9/10 amazing compact systems, liquiducts, tesseracts, balanced cost, larger systems require tubes/pipes/routers, relays/hoppers are also a must
EnderStorage - 6/10 useless standalone, tesseracts are imo better(sorry mate), enderpouch = love though

It's best to use 'em all together. Despite the scoring, there is no clear winner for me and I would hate to lose any of 'em.

I'm playing a modpack for a damn good reason.

Reactions: Guswut

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
For transport of items....... RedPower tubing is by far superior to Buildcraft pipe......

Biggest issue with BC pipe is that it is just a PIPE, it doesn't think, doesn't navigate, it's not intelligent, if no valid destination exists the item makes a run for freedom in the overworld.... it's simply a pipe and has never confessed to being anything else.....

Redpower tubing on the other hand is very intelligent (at every junction it will recalculate where the item is going if the destination becomes full), it's faster than non-gold bc piping, it lags less (sit and watch an item in BC pipe going backwards) and lastly and most importantly if it arrives at the destination and for whatever reason there is no longer space it will go back not just throw itself out of the tube/pipe.

Couple that with the fact every RP machine has a buffer space for items to return back to then you can see why it's so damn good.

But more importantly the question is flawed, you cannot compare tubing to piping or ask which is better as they are 2 totally different things doing a similar job.[DOUBLEPOST=1361737067][/DOUBLEPOST]

The votes for BC piping are probably people who have never used RP tubing to it's fullest.

Since when did hollow metal/glass cylinders think. BC pipes are far more realistic. More basic and fun in my opinion.
Tubes just carry iteams in a more convenient way, no more. It is the machines why we use redpower tubes.
Pipes have character, they sort, pull stuff from inventories and have gates on them. They have so much more functionality.
But yes redpower tubes are better to use in sorting, automation, and such because of the machines (sorting,retriever, ect)
So if I had to chose either one of them, and can only use that one, it would be buildcraft all the way
I also forgot to mention it has better liquid transportation.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Liquid ones should work too for stuff like Magma Crucibles and Aqueous Accumulators. And for the energy ones, even if they don't take engines directly, TE's conduits will work.

Why doesn't TE have an item transport system? The way Lemming's done Liquiducts and Conduits, I'd love to see a seperate item-only network. Now, if all the mods that add tubes, pipes, and wires could be compatible with RP2 covers to hide them and keep them from connecting...

Pharro

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft by far has the superior system for transporting items. Hands down.
What does it for me - Gates.

When you get down to the basics...
Redpower is item-focused. When you're focusing on what to do with items - Tubes are better.
Buildcraft is machine-focused. When you're focusing on what to do with machines - Pipes/Gates are better.

There is also another use case where one system is easier than the other:
If your dealing with a system that has an on-demand requirement - pipes are easier to implement.
If your dealing with a system that is continuous or has a set cycle/pattern - tubes are easier to implement.

Really it all comes down to how much space you have to work with and what exactly you want done. There is more then enough logic with each system to skin the cat any way you like.

Either way if you're not using both - your kinda limiting yourself.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Why doesn't TE have an item transport system?
Politics.

Yeah and do you really need yet another transport system that people will compare to all the others? To stand out it would have to be beter then everyone elses. Either system wise or cost wise. The frist is hard to do as the current systems are all really good in there own way it would be hard to beat. The later would just be a cheap way out be beter beuase you cheaper is not something I want to buy into.

But realy do we need another option? At this point the only system that would be better when be a vertial item transport cloud of some sort. You know... like the tesserract.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
But thermal expansion does every other transport so wonderfully, I'd like to see what comes up with pipes, it could be really cool or useful...or both. Sorting systems are mid game for me, so price isn't a huge worry, transporting everything with tesseracts (no, I don't do that :p) could get expensive and impressive.