What would YOU change about BuildCraft?

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
Sure, it's nice to have mods that care for performance, but you can't demand from a mod to take care that no one kills performance.

Though I can understand the sentiment, I do disagree, especially of the mod author desires to have their mod included in a modpack destined for deployment on a server. In general it has to be expected that a mod will be installed alongside of other mods and all should play well in the server ecosystem.

To be fair a lot of modders out there are not familiar with performance profiling and tuning, or heck, may not even be aware of such a thing. Of course, it has to be stated that I am biased this way because I spent the last 20+ years of professional software development on server side systems.

Good idea! Though you could just disable BC's chunkloading.

I don't think the features are equivalent. If chunkload of quarries is disabled, those chunks will unload as soon as the player is out of the area. Or am I misinterpreting how it works in BC?

Reactions: GreenZombie

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I don't think the features are equivalent. If chunkload of quarries is disabled, those chunks will unload as soon as the player is out of the area. Or am I misinterpreting how it works in BC?

Yes, but you could just require players to place a Personal Anchor next to a Quarry instead, for example. As a free bonus, quarries cannot be used as free chunkloaders that way. (Hmm. I should make it so that quarries stop chunkloading after they've mined to bedrock.)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I do have issues:
Getting a modded server to maintain 20tps is a problem for admins.
Having pipes chunkload themselves causes the server to run hot even when there are no players are online.

The number of chunks is far less compared to actually having a player online. As I said earlier- If this itself is an issue then your server is chronically underpowered and you have some much bigger problems at hand.

Causes unrelated poorly performing systems to continue to negatively effect other players even when the offending player logs off.

This is a user created issue, not the fault of the mod. Any competent admin can deal with it fairly easily.

Negatively effects players who don't expect that their base will continue to consume limited fuel when they log off.

This is a fair issue. However dropping the loading negatively effects players who partly "wonder out of range" causing a quantum effect when the half loaded pipe network changes its behaviour depending on the presence of an observer.

(Hmm. I should make it so that quarries stop chunkloading after they've mined to bedrock.)

I'm reminded of my 'cobble-gen prank' which jams the quarry.
- you may want to add a little something something that'll shut it down if it mines the same location X times.

Reactions: LuigiHutch

dragon_fang101

Jul 29, 2019
I would add something like a wooden pipe, maybe combnition wood/diamond?
so you could specify which items to pull out?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
No Emerald is filterable.

You could put a personal chunkloader down, but the range is only 3x3, which isn't enough for a max size Quarry. And having the option of personal chunkloading means that for say me, who doesn't have a server to run it on, I only need it when the game is running, it doesn't make a difference. But for a server, having a quarry stop loading, means the light stops updating, the water stops updating, and all the lag freezes for everyone when that person isn't online.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Maybe a Gold Adorned Wooden Pipe for Speedy Extraction?
If, by "speedy extraction," you mean pulling items from the inventory at a greater rate (i.e. in larger stack sizes or more timer per second), BC already has the technology to do that: For larger stacksizes, dump more RF into the pipe at once with a stronger engine or by configuring more "Energy Pulser" outputs into your gate (each additional pulser active at once doubles the stack size, by the way); and for more activations per second, use multiple engines.

If, instead, you meant pulling items out of the chest and immediately giving them a speed boost, I agree, that would be helpful. I think that's been requested as an additional feature on the Emerald Pipe once or twice; however, I don't remember what came out of that if anything.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
You mean while the game is not loaded? That would be awesome!

Really, though, quarry chunk loading works in SSP if you are not in the area.
I think they mean while playing a different world, or on multiplayer but not on the world its in.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019
So basically you want the single player instance to continue running without actually running the instance? Wut.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
well that would be awesome. log off, next day 5000 diamonds? yeah I'll take that.

The only way for that to work is to keep the game running in the background, which sounds like a terrible idea for multiple reasons.

unknown zombie

Jan 31, 2013
Florida
I just updated to BC 7.1.8 (from BC 7.0.26) and the Redstone Engines that I have on Pipes and Pumps are operating slowly.. They never heat up past blue phase. Is that normal now? If so, why?

Last edited: