#BlameMojang

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Precisely. There was nothing, other than either apathy or incompetence, that was stopping them from simply adding the JSON block abilities as a subsystem, instead of using it to replace something that already functioned for most use cases, even if the engine beneath it wasn't the most efficiently-designed thing in the world. I can see where they thought that they'd be opening Minecraft up and, to a degree, they did succeed at it...they just ended up completely screwing over a large portion of mods that implement blocks with special rendering mechanics. Hell, I can tell you exactly how they could've included the JSON crap without hosing everything else...

Create a new constructor in the Block class (or maybe in a render class somewhere, attached to the block) that, amongst other things, takes a String argument that points to a JSON file defining its model. Read the JSON file into a container class (TESR or somesuch) and cache it in memory during the initialization phase. After that, everything is only ever read once when the game starts up, the rest is stored in memory (which the TESRs already are, so little to no change, there) for easy access. There, you're done. You've added extensibility to your game without sacrificing a single fucking thing. Much difficulty. Many strain. Wow.
TESRs are something totally different, associated with TileEntities (hence TESR) and rendered with the entities, not the blocks, and every render tick, not with the chunk.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Aah, my mistake. The main thrust of the argument still stands, though: the JSON system could've been implemented without completely rewriting things, if it'd been implemented as an option instead of as a requirement for creating custom blocks.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I still don't put any responsibility on Mojang to make things easier for modders, but at the same time it bugs me when we hear that there are those at Mojang who make remarks about the modding community staying behind a version.

Model functionality could have certainly been implemented far better than it has been, and on top of the old block renderer. 1.8 went through such a rendering overhaul though that it probably just made no sense to spend any effort to put it back and test it when literally nothing in the game uses it anymore. The fluid renderer uses a custom renderer, not models, but even it doesn't need that old block rendering code either because it's not specifically a cube.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
At the risk of necroposting, I think that it's far too relevant to mention what (IIRC) @VikeStep found, that the code which stops you from sprinting when low on hunger is entirely client-side.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I wrote a client side mod to confirm it, I was going to include it in sprinkles_for_vanilla and was surprised I was looking at client code. I ended out enforcing the mod being on the server though for that feature to work.

It exists in both 1.7 and 1.8, haven't checked 1.9

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang broke chunk render updates in this previous week's snapshots to scrape a few more fps out of it. There's now a noticeable delay in updates most of the time, resulting in things like both pieces of a door not necessarily moving at the exact same moment, or being able to see sky briefly when digging blocks underground, particularly at chunk boundaries.

Normally I wouldn't make a big deal out of something from a snapshot, but this is something they've broken before, so you'd think they'd know better by now. Nearby chunks just can't be queued for future render updates, particularly ones you're interacting with. I got these exact same side effects when I worked on my own voxel engine before and had to force those chunks to update immediately. FPS should come second to anything that breaks immersion.

They might still revert or fix it, but it concerns me because they've left similarly annoying issues in the game for long periods before.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Mojang broke chunk render updates in this previous week's snapshots to scrape a few more fps out of it. There's now a noticeable delay in updates most of the time, resulting in things like both pieces of a door not necessarily moving at the exact same moment, or being able to see sky briefly when digging blocks underground, particularly at chunk boundaries.

Normally I wouldn't make a big deal out of something from a snapshot, but this is something they've broken before, so you'd think they'd know better by now. Nearby chunks just can't be queued for future render updates, particularly ones you're interacting with. I got these exact same side effects when I worked on my own voxel engine before and had to force those chunks to update immediately. FPS should come second to anything that breaks immersion.

They might still revert or fix it, but it concerns me because they've left similarly annoying issues in the game for long periods before.

We need to turn "god damn it, Mojang" into a meme, at this point.

Firebats

Jul 29, 2019
Background would be /cast slash wrists, re roll NE hunter scream Mojang still sucks then /Facedesk.

lucariomaster2

Jul 29, 2019
At risk of necroposting, I found this gem in 1.9:

Code:
    private Packet<?> createSpawnPacket()
    {
        if (this.trackedEntity.isDead)
        {
            LOGGER.warn("Fetching addPacket for removed entity");
        }

Packet pkt = net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.internal.FMLNetworkHandler.getEntitySpawningPacket(this.trackedEntity);
        if (pkt != null) return pkt;

if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityItem)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 2, 1);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityPlayerMP)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnPlayer((EntityPlayer)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityMinecart)
        {
            EntityMinecart entityminecart = (EntityMinecart)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 10, entityminecart.getType().getId());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityBoat)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 1);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof IAnimals)
        {
            this.lastHeadMotion = MathHelper.floor_float(this.trackedEntity.getRotationYawHead() * 256.0F / 360.0F);
            return new SPacketSpawnMob((EntityLivingBase)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFishHook)
        {
            Entity entity2 = ((EntityFishHook)this.trackedEntity).angler;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 90, entity2 != null ? entity2.getEntityId() : this.trackedEntity.getEntityId());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntitySpectralArrow)
        {
            Entity entity1 = ((EntitySpectralArrow)this.trackedEntity).shootingEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 91, 1 + (entity1 != null ? entity1.getEntityId() : this.trackedEntity.getEntityId()));
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityTippedArrow)
        {
            Entity entity = ((EntityArrow)this.trackedEntity).shootingEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 60, 1 + (entity != null ? entity.getEntityId() : this.trackedEntity.getEntityId()));
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntitySnowball)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 61);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityPotion)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 73);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityExpBottle)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 75);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEnderPearl)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 65);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEnderEye)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 72);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFireworkRocket)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 76);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFireball)
        {
            EntityFireball entityfireball = (EntityFireball)this.trackedEntity;
            SPacketSpawnObject spacketspawnobject = null;
            int i = 63;

if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntitySmallFireball)
            {
                i = 64;
            }
            else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityDragonFireball)
            {
                i = 93;
            }
            else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityWitherSkull)
            {
                i = 66;
            }

if (entityfireball.shootingEntity != null)
            {
                spacketspawnobject = new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, i, ((EntityFireball)this.trackedEntity).shootingEntity.getEntityId());
            }
            else
            {
                spacketspawnobject = new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, i, 0);
            }

spacketspawnobject.setSpeedX((int)(entityfireball.accelerationX * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject.setSpeedY((int)(entityfireball.accelerationY * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject.setSpeedZ((int)(entityfireball.accelerationZ * 8000.0D));
            return spacketspawnobject;
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityShulkerBullet)
        {
            SPacketSpawnObject spacketspawnobject1 = new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 67, 0);
            spacketspawnobject1.setSpeedX((int)(this.trackedEntity.motionX * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject1.setSpeedY((int)(this.trackedEntity.motionY * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject1.setSpeedZ((int)(this.trackedEntity.motionZ * 8000.0D));
            return spacketspawnobject1;
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEgg)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 62);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityTNTPrimed)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 50);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEnderCrystal)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 51);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFallingBlock)
        {
            EntityFallingBlock entityfallingblock = (EntityFallingBlock)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 70, Block.getStateId(entityfallingblock.getBlock()));
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityArmorStand)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 78);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityPainting)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnPainting((EntityPainting)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityItemFrame)
        {
            EntityItemFrame entityitemframe = (EntityItemFrame)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 71, entityitemframe.facingDirection.getHorizontalIndex(), entityitemframe.getHangingPosition());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityLeashKnot)
        {
            EntityLeashKnot entityleashknot = (EntityLeashKnot)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 77, 0, entityleashknot.getHangingPosition());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityXPOrb)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnExperienceOrb((EntityXPOrb)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityAreaEffectCloud)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 3);
        }
        else
        {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("Don\'t know how to add " + this.trackedEntity.getClass() + "!");
        }
    }

Reactions: Planetguy

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
At risk of necroposting, I found this gem in 1.9:

Code:
    private Packet<?> createSpawnPacket()
    {
        if (this.trackedEntity.isDead)
        {
            LOGGER.warn("Fetching addPacket for removed entity");
        }

Packet pkt = net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.internal.FMLNetworkHandler.getEntitySpawningPacket(this.trackedEntity);
        if (pkt != null) return pkt;

if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityItem)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 2, 1);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityPlayerMP)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnPlayer((EntityPlayer)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityMinecart)
        {
            EntityMinecart entityminecart = (EntityMinecart)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 10, entityminecart.getType().getId());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityBoat)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 1);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof IAnimals)
        {
            this.lastHeadMotion = MathHelper.floor_float(this.trackedEntity.getRotationYawHead() * 256.0F / 360.0F);
            return new SPacketSpawnMob((EntityLivingBase)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFishHook)
        {
            Entity entity2 = ((EntityFishHook)this.trackedEntity).angler;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 90, entity2 != null ? entity2.getEntityId() : this.trackedEntity.getEntityId());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntitySpectralArrow)
        {
            Entity entity1 = ((EntitySpectralArrow)this.trackedEntity).shootingEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 91, 1 + (entity1 != null ? entity1.getEntityId() : this.trackedEntity.getEntityId()));
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityTippedArrow)
        {
            Entity entity = ((EntityArrow)this.trackedEntity).shootingEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 60, 1 + (entity != null ? entity.getEntityId() : this.trackedEntity.getEntityId()));
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntitySnowball)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 61);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityPotion)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 73);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityExpBottle)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 75);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEnderPearl)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 65);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEnderEye)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 72);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFireworkRocket)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 76);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFireball)
        {
            EntityFireball entityfireball = (EntityFireball)this.trackedEntity;
            SPacketSpawnObject spacketspawnobject = null;
            int i = 63;

if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntitySmallFireball)
            {
                i = 64;
            }
            else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityDragonFireball)
            {
                i = 93;
            }
            else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityWitherSkull)
            {
                i = 66;
            }

if (entityfireball.shootingEntity != null)
            {
                spacketspawnobject = new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, i, ((EntityFireball)this.trackedEntity).shootingEntity.getEntityId());
            }
            else
            {
                spacketspawnobject = new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, i, 0);
            }

spacketspawnobject.setSpeedX((int)(entityfireball.accelerationX * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject.setSpeedY((int)(entityfireball.accelerationY * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject.setSpeedZ((int)(entityfireball.accelerationZ * 8000.0D));
            return spacketspawnobject;
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityShulkerBullet)
        {
            SPacketSpawnObject spacketspawnobject1 = new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 67, 0);
            spacketspawnobject1.setSpeedX((int)(this.trackedEntity.motionX * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject1.setSpeedY((int)(this.trackedEntity.motionY * 8000.0D));
            spacketspawnobject1.setSpeedZ((int)(this.trackedEntity.motionZ * 8000.0D));
            return spacketspawnobject1;
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEgg)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 62);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityTNTPrimed)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 50);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityEnderCrystal)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 51);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityFallingBlock)
        {
            EntityFallingBlock entityfallingblock = (EntityFallingBlock)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 70, Block.getStateId(entityfallingblock.getBlock()));
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityArmorStand)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 78);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityPainting)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnPainting((EntityPainting)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityItemFrame)
        {
            EntityItemFrame entityitemframe = (EntityItemFrame)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 71, entityitemframe.facingDirection.getHorizontalIndex(), entityitemframe.getHangingPosition());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityLeashKnot)
        {
            EntityLeashKnot entityleashknot = (EntityLeashKnot)this.trackedEntity;
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 77, 0, entityleashknot.getHangingPosition());
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityXPOrb)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnExperienceOrb((EntityXPOrb)this.trackedEntity);
        }
        else if (this.trackedEntity instanceof EntityAreaEffectCloud)
        {
            return new SPacketSpawnObject(this.trackedEntity, 3);
        }
        else
        {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("Don\'t know how to add " + this.trackedEntity.getClass() + "!");
        }
    }
I see nothing wrong here ;)

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
That's... a tad bit redundant. I mean, most of this can be easily folded up in the originating entity code; the projectiles I can understand tracking.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That's... a tad bit redundant. I mean, most of this can be easily folded up in the originating entity code; the projectiles I can understand tracking.
or y'know having a general method for tracking projectiles and just running anything that implements a projectile interface through that

Reactions: SatanicSanta