#BlameMojang

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It's not like Minecraft was made for mods or plugins, the normal code works for vanilla (barely though).

That excuse doesn't really fly anymore, though. Yes, originally, Minecraft was made by a dude and his friends as an experiment they released in the wild. Nowadays, though, its a multi-million dollar product with a gigantic mod community. They, themselves, have teased for years about an official modding API. It might not have been made for mods in the beginning, but they're here now. The fact they keep screwing up critical subsystems upon which real mods rely is shows that either a) they do not care, or more likely b) that they are simply incompetent and don't understand what Minecraft mods actually are. Granted, there are a lot of "faster furnace and obsidian toolz" mods out there, but the biggest ones, at least according to Curse, are things like Tinkers' Construct, Extra Utilities, and so on. The recent changes, most notably to the rendering engine, have shown a clear preference for the former, instead of the more complex, intricate systems of the latter.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
That excuse doesn't really fly anymore, though. Yes, originally, Minecraft was made by a dude and his friends as an experiment they released in the wild. Nowadays, though, its a multi-million dollar product with a gigantic mod community. They, themselves, have teased for years about an official modding API. It might not have been made for mods in the beginning, but they're here now. The fact they keep screwing up critical subsystems upon which real mods rely is shows that either a) they do not care, or more likely b) that they are simply incompetent and don't understand what Minecraft mods actually are. Granted, there are a lot of "faster furnace and obsidian toolz" mods out there, but the biggest ones, at least according to Curse, are things like Tinkers' Construct, Extra Utilities, and so on. The recent changes, most notably to the rendering engine, have shown a clear preference for the former, instead of the more complex, intricate systems of the latter.
multi-billion*

I'm well aware of the off and on plans for the modding API, I personally don't think they would take it as a priority though. I do believe mods (and servers and updates) are crucial to people still playing Minecraft, or else the game would have been horribly boring, a big example of this being Terraria.

There are a bunch of odd reasons mods like Tinkers' Construct and Extra Utilities got famous, e.g. Greg joined the IC2 team and stopped messing with mDiyo (who left TiC), SSundee and a bunch of other YouTubers kids watched used these mods...

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, I just don't think Mojang generally cares enough about the mods. In fact, I'm personally thinking they care more about plugins.

And not to mention the fact that even if there were no mods, these code smells probably cause a large deal of bugs and slow the game down, besides making it harder for the MC team to add content
Well, mods did have a large effect on Minecraft (potions, horses), can't disagree with you there...
Although I don't think they helped a lot in fixing bugs. They don't really care about bugs reported somewhere other than http://bugs.mojang.com/.

I'm trusting Mojang with 1.9. It's looking better than 1.8 currently.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, mods did have a large effect on Minecraft (potions, horses), can't disagree with you there...
Although I don't think they helped a lot in fixing bugs. They don't really care about bugs reported somewhere other than http://bugs.mojang.com/.

I'm trusting Mojang with 1.9. It's looking better than 1.8 currently.
I'm not saying that the mods help that, I'm saying that the code being bad makes it harder to do anything really, it's an inextensible system, the center cannot hold :p

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, this is a compounding problem. More bad code means more hacky and bad code will need to be made to circumvent the original code which then causes the same to happen besides the things mentioned above

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not saying "NO THE CODE IS AWESOME GO DIE", it of course is still bad. I haven't played Minecraft in a long time, so I wouldn't extensively know.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not saying "NO THE CODE IS AWESOME GO DIE", it of course is still bad. I haven't played Minecraft in a long time, so I wouldn't extensively know.
Yeah that's true, but the phrase
It's not like Minecraft was made for mods or plugins, the normal code works for vanilla (barely though).
doesn't matter, because it's still stupid ass code even if MC wasn't made for mods (which looking at what it has progressed to, it was).

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
which looking at what it has progressed to, it was
A more eloquent way to state this (which is also my opinion) is this:
Minecraft may not have been intended as a game engine, but that is what it has become. The sheer variety of stuff people do with the game - to the game - is staggeringly large. Mods, resource packs, server plugins, adventure maps, build challenges, other challenges... Every time you load up the game, you're playing a slightly different game from last time, but that doesn't come from Mojang. Maybe you're playing with a resource pack, maybe you've added a mod or two, perhaps you've opened the world to LAN... Heck, maybe you're just feeling crabby that morning 'cause you didn't have any coffee, and you've decided you're going to build a cottage, even though you prefer - say - raiding dungeons. Vanilla MC survival is fun, but that isn't enough to become something so huge. No, Minecraft is what it is because of everything else. Treat it like an engine.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Granted, there are a lot of "faster furnace and obsidian toolz" mods out there, but the biggest ones, at least according to Curse, are things like Tinkers' Construct, Extra Utilities, and so on. The recent changes, most notably to the rendering engine, have shown a clear preference for the former, instead of the more complex, intricate systems of the latter.
The former outnumber the latter by a factor of several hundred, as do the total users.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
The former outnumber the latter by a factor of several hundred, as do the total users.
But my guess would be that most people who "use" the "obsidian toolz" mods use it for a maximum of one world and then decide it's not worth the effort of installing them again. Mods like that get users; mods you find in FTB packs keep users.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
heh
crabby
crabs
pubic hair
so mature

You're completely right, yet that doesn't go for everyone. The Xbox and PS editions of the game (not PE, because apparently they're modding that now) are quite vanilla yet are still largely being played. A very special demographic is playing those editions. Autistic children. They enjoy having the entire world to themselves, and doing whatever they can to it. The amount of autistic children playing Minecraft probably make up something around 5 or 10 million of the total player amount.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
heh
crabby
crabs
pubic hair
so mature

You're completely right, yet that doesn't go for everyone. The Xbox and PS editions of the game (not PE, because apparently they're modding that now) are quite vanilla yet are still largely being played. A very special demographic is playing those editions. Autistic children. They enjoy having the entire world to themselves, and doing whatever they can to it. The amount of autistic children playing Minecraft probably make up something around 5 or 10 million of the total player amount.
Even console users play their own, unexpected way. Due to the lack of mods, you see even more creative-build type things - have you seen the rollercoasters people have made? When was THAT something intended by mojang? :p
I'm not sure whether your stuff about autistic children is a joke, but regardless, that doesn't mean they shouldn't treat it like a game engine. Of course they should maintain and improve the basic feature set for vanilla - but ignoring everything else ignores what MC does best.
also Mekanism's tools module adds lapis and obsidian tools
And that's why I didn't trust Mekanism at first.
Plus it also adds a ton of other stuff - "obsidian toolz" does not.

Reactions: Padfoote

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Even console users play their own, unexpected way. Due to the lack of mods, you see even more creative-build type things - have you seen the rollercoasters people have made? When was THAT something intended by mojang? :p
I'm not sure whether your stuff about autistic children is a joke, but regardless, that doesn't mean they shouldn't treat it like a game engine. Of course they should maintain and improve the basic feature set for vanilla - but ignoring everything else ignores what MC does best.
I'm not joking by autistic children. There's an abundance.

And that's why I didn't trust Mekanism at first.
Plus it also adds a ton of other stuff - "obsidian toolz" does not.
The tools module is a separate mod, doesn't come with Mekanism.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
It's not even that which is the issue, it's the fact that for the past 4? 5? MC versions mods have had to do major rewrites, and Mojang didn't really hint at what would change/how it would change (the changes being; changes to how textures are gotten, changes to ID's, changes to rendering, etc.). It honestly is like they see the modded community and say "we don't want them to advance TOO quickly".
And as has already been said, modded MC communities are HUGE. Even if the total number of people playing modded mc is only 1% of the total MC userbase that's still ~1 million people. And that isn't a number of people you can ignore, or effectively screw over because you want to change how the game runs. Half the changes Mojang make are stupid, the other half can be argued either way. Sometimes rewrites have been needed for a few versions now, and modders would agree, but some of it could have been left alone, and no one would have complained; for example the rendering code, to make 3D blocks. It wasn't really NEEDED, and they definitely didn't need to make it so ALL blocks were done like (they could have overriden the default file with their stupid jsons, at least that would have been easier to work with... I assume)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Precisely. There was nothing, other than either apathy or incompetence, that was stopping them from simply adding the JSON block abilities as a subsystem, instead of using it to replace something that already functioned for most use cases, even if the engine beneath it wasn't the most efficiently-designed thing in the world. I can see where they thought that they'd be opening Minecraft up and, to a degree, they did succeed at it...they just ended up completely screwing over a large portion of mods that implement blocks with special rendering mechanics. Hell, I can tell you exactly how they could've included the JSON crap without hosing everything else...

Create a new constructor in the Block class (or maybe in a render class somewhere, attached to the block) that, amongst other things, takes a String argument that points to a JSON file defining its model. Read the JSON file into a container class (TESR or somesuch) and cache it in memory during the initialization phase. After that, everything is only ever read once when the game starts up, the rest is stored in memory (which the TESRs already are, so little to no change, there) for easy access. There, you're done. You've added extensibility to your game without sacrificing a single fucking thing. Much difficulty. Many strain. Wow.