Which is the REAL FTB modpack?!?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheMcMineHe

Jul 29, 2019
In the launcher is see Direwolf20, Mindcrack, Magicworld etc
But which is the REAL Feed The Beast?!?

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Feed the Beast Beta A for now. The official one for the new map isn't done yet AFAIK

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
The Ultimate pack has yet to be released. However, if you do not want to wait, I suggest you play the mindcrack pack since it has most of the world generation from the mods. Most likely switching from it to the ultimate when it's released won't make a difference since there probably won't be any other new generation.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
the best pack to choose to switch to ultimate later with gregtech is mindcrack, without gregtech is direwolf20

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack and Direwolf20 KP Pack are 3rd party packs we maintain for them.
The Voxel Pack, Universal Electricity and Brony pack are also 3rd Party packs but they are not maintained by us.

Tech World, Magic World and FTBLite are the current non Map FTB packs.

FTB Beta A is a pack we released to have something on the launcher to test, it is for 1.4.2 and has several issues. I do not recommend to use it

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
If gregtech will be disabled by default in the Ultimate pack, then Mindcrack wouldn't be the best for world gen :/

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
If gregtech will be disabled by default in the Ultimate pack, then Mindcrack wouldn't be the best for world gen :/
True, however I am pretty confident that Gregtech will be enabled and hard mode will be disabled by default as opposed to just disabling the whole mod itself.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I can't help but wonder if they're really gonna stick to that decision as time goes on, though.

The entire set of assumptions that Gregtech seems to have been based off of are in flux now, it seems. Resource limitation and gating has proven over and over again to be a poor treadmill, whereas mods like SC2, TE and MFFS (and to a lesser extent TC) suggest that if you just give people the potential to build at an absurd scope, they will find new challenges within that venue and those challenges will be interesting. The new mmmPowersuits mod also provides this really amazing, "Here is a smooth power curve that has inherent tradeoffs built in and a variety of resource requirements, none of which are terrible but in aggregate add up to huge sums" mechanic.

And if you want to play a factionalized PvP server where people tell me GregTech was sort of aimed, it seems like people are really stoked on Voltz with its huge variety of missiles and desire to build big to obtain exotic matter.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
if only the thread where Slowpoke confirmed that this is not the case still existed :/ it was deleted because it devolved to flaming and hate :(
You know, nothing is final, even if Slowpoke wrote something, it doesn't mean that it won't change later.

I mean, look at the post that was saying 1-2 weeks for the lite and tech world packs, they took more than 3 weeks from that point.

Most people seems to hate greg tech because it messes with balance and recipes.
But both those points can be changed in the config, so that removes most of the complains that people have against the mod, if I did understand the concerns from all the flame threads about Greg Tech.

Knowing that, why not add the mod just for the cool machines it adds on its own?
It adds a fusion generator for ultimate EU generation, as well as new uses for some items and blocks, like rubber wood blocks, that were nearly useless until now.

Reactions: Confidential1207

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
like rubber wood blocks, that were nearly useless until now.
I had to smelt rubber wood to jungle wood, because no jungle was to be found (but glaciers and fir trees for 4 worlds). After finally tripping about that recipe, I could start my cocoa production (found some in a chest) for chocolate frames.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Most people seems to hate greg tech because it messes with balance and recipes.
But both those points can be changed in the config, so that removes most of the complains that people have against the mod, if I did understand the concerns from all the flame threads about Greg Tech.

As anyone running a server will tell you, this is not true. Config synching is a major headache.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
As anyone running a server will tell you, this is not true. Config synching is a major headache.
Sorry, I might not have written it clearly enough.

What I meant was that they might add Greg Tech with the config in the pack, directly, not needing us to fiddle with it.
That should not impact servers as far as config synch is concerned.

Well, that or I did not understand your post, which is absolutely possible too.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
whats the point of changing the recipes of IC2 back to normal if gregtech itself is hard for the sake of being hard?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that or I did not understand your post, which is absolutely possible too.

I believe KirinDave's point is that changing configuration files for single player may be fine, but when you start attempting to deal with multiplayer, you end up having to have ALL users duplicate the configuration file changes you made, which can be a massive headache (I've found it is a whole lot easier to just export a MultiMC instance, and make them install the entire thing that way whenever I update the server).

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Being able to update config files should be the intelligence test to pass in order to play.

Having to schedule config file updates, make sure everyone has the latest version, deal with contacting members that have not been online in the past few days and so they don't know that a config file update is in the works... Perhaps a stress test for an administrator who wants to see if he can go bald before he is thirty. Otherwise, though, you must have an extremely unpopulated server, a good communication system for passing details to people that are not logged in, or, much more likely, you do not deal with server administration at all.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Otherwise, though, you must have an extremely unpopulated server, a good communication system for passing details to people that are not logged in, or, much more likely, you do not deal with server administration at all.

High population in a world of shitheads isn't a good goal to achieve, IMO.

On the other hand, people need to know that when shit breaks the first thing they do is check for a config update. That's the intelligence test.

Reactions: Dravarden

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
High population in a world of shitheads isn't a good goal to achieve, IMO.

On the other hand, people need to know that when shit breaks the first thing they do is check for a config update. That's the intelligence test.

Please enjoy playing single player, then, and leave the server administration to those of us that are willing to deal with, as you so eloquently put it, "shitheads" who might not be the most computer savvy people on this side of the moon. Until you actually take the time to attempt to run a server, and start to understand that the world is not merely black and white, and that communicating config file updates is difficult in this situation (or can provide evidence against as much), your subjective options in this matter hold no weight. Thank you very much, but this "discussion" is off-topic, and over.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Please enjoy playing single player, then, and leave the server administration to those of us that are willing to deal with, as you so eloquently put it, "shitheads" who might not be the most computer savvy people on this side of the moon. Until you actually take the time to attempt to run a server,

I do. It has no griefer protection and the only people invited are the type of people who can look at stuff like the platinum dupe and say "That's clearly an exploit, not gonna do it."

And pass the intelligence test.

The fact that it doesn't have 100 people on it is a design goal, not a side effect.