A good thinker's hammer?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm new to the best materials-thing of tinkers, and I want to make a good hammer and maybe a battle-axe too, and I am asking: what are the best materials to what patterns? I just can't afford diamond and emerald stuff, the rest is fine (with the exception of gold, but I have like almost 30 ingots of it. Also, gold isn't a good material is it?)

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm new to the best materials-thing of tinkers, and I want to make a good hammer and maybe a battle-axe too, and I am asking: what are the best materials to what patterns? I just can't afford diamond and emerald stuff, the rest is fine (with the exception of gold, but I have like almost 30 ingots of it. Also, gold isn't a good material is it?)
It really Depends on what Materials you have and Depends even More what you want him to be able to do
You Cant Use diamonds anyway i think
Best would be to get some steel
Smelt It down do a pickaxe then make a Trip to the nether and mine Cobalt (you need steel to be able to mine Cobalt though) if you want faster mining but Bit less durability Stick with Cobalt for Hammer head if you want More durability for a Bit less mining speed combine the Cobalt with Ardite (also found in the nether yellow Ore) in a smeltery to get Manyullyn and from There on It Depends
You want even More durability Take obsidian for the plates
If you want modifiers go with thaumium plates
And tough rod i'd Suggest Manyullyn since It Has the highest durability modifier
If you want to charge It with rf Dont waste your Manyullyn on the rod and Take electrum

Best would be to just Check that out

http://tinkers-construct.wikia.com/wiki/Material_Stats

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
If you get high enough durability on a hammer, it is possible to use the highest or second highest tier of TE capacitor to hold RF (unless there has been any recent changes). This seems to be better than going with moss repair, from what I've seen.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
It really Depends on what Materials you have and Depends even More what you want him to be able to do
You Cant Use diamonds anyway i think
Best would be to get some steel
Smelt It down do a pickaxe then make a Trip to the nether and mine Cobalt (you need steel to be able to mine Cobalt though) if you want faster mining but Bit less durability Stick with Cobalt for Hammer head if you want More durability for a Bit less mining speed combine the Cobalt with Ardite (also found in the nether yellow Ore) in a smeltery to get Manyullyn and from There on It Depends
You want even More durability Take obsidian for the plates
If you want modifiers go with thaumium plates
And tough rod i'd Suggest Manyullyn since It Has the highest durability modifier
If you want to charge It with rf Dont waste your Manyullyn on the rod and Take electrum

Best would be to just Check that out

http://tinkers-construct.wikia.com/wiki/Material_Stats

Yep I saw that page but its very confusing, I would like to know if there is any page to each of the parts themselves, rather than saying "all to all" thing.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Yep I saw that page but its very confusing, I would like to know if there is any page to each of the parts themselves, rather than saying "all to all" thing.
There is
Just Type for example pick Axe head in nei and you have all it says you durability, mining Level, abilities and all that Stuff

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
In my experience, steel works fine for most everything. Theres higher end materials if you need it to mine a bit quicker. Cobalt is good for tool heads, manyulyn for weapons and ardite for tool rods. Paper and/or thaumium for extra modifiers.

So, cobalt head, ardite rod, everything else paper equals one kickass tool.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer shiny metal (platinum) to manyullyn for tool heads and plates and pink slime for handles.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've never seen much need for anything beyond steel myself. Unless I'm making something to mine obsidian, then I just make an all Cobalt/Shiny Pick for maximum speed. (And haste it to max speed.)

deadby199cuts

Jul 29, 2019
Make an all ardite hammer, then put the flux capacitor on it so it uses RF. Put whatever you want on the rest of the upgrades though I like to max out fortune and speed. Then go and use the hammer WITHOUT a charge on it to break down its durability. It has stonebreaker on it so the lower the durability the faster it mines. When it gets low and your mining fast go charge it and only use it when its charged. because its still got low durability it will mine fast.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on the version; latest versions nerfed the Stonebound/RF Capacitor combo.

You're best off with a surplus stock of steel for the head and anything else you want. Easy enough repairs, good for general excavation and tunnels.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
My preferred configuration is cobalt head one plate either manulin or another cobalt, a paper plate and a thaumium rod.
Coboalt can mine cobalt and ardite so it's mining level is adequate, I use cobalt as it has the best base speed (unless there's now better materials added.).
I will then either add a durable manulin plate or cobalt for extra speed. The last plate is paper for an extra modifier. I could make both the plates thaumium but that would only give me one extra modifier at expense of the durability the manulin or cobalt plate.
The thaumium rod gives me an extra modifier with a decent durability multiplyer paper will reduce overall durability to 20% of it's base of used as a rod.

I then add silky/fortune, fluxed and stack the rest with speed. Then you are probably wondering "why bother considering durability then? You could just use the paper rod". Well the fluxed modifier is tiered and higher levels of charge require higher minimum durability. I need enough for at least a hardened capacitor, the charge rate on leadstone level is too low for fast tools you end up running out of flux and damaging the tool. Hardend seems to keep up with even the fastest tool. I also keep an external resonant capacitor to charge it.

I also concur with those saying steel is a good material to make heads with. Whiles it's not the "best" in terms of durability and speed it's availability and ease of production makes it ideal. Plus its not that much weaker then manulin/ cobalt and has the same mining level.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Tony32

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt head, ardite toolrod, paper plates
Ardite is the one with stonebound, right?
So do this,
1. mine until its at 1 durability (makes it sick fast)
2. add flux capasitor
3. Max redstone
4. ???
5. profit!

The hammer will stay at 1 durability and still wont break cause it uses power instead, which makes the fastest pick there is I believe.

EDIT: Unless it's patched, long time since I played.

Renato Lopes

Jul 29, 2019
Cobalt head, ardite toolrod, paper plates
Ardite is the one with stonebound, right?
So do this,
1. mine until its at 1 durability (makes it sick fast)
2. add flux capasitor
3. Max redstone
4. ???
5. profit!

The hammer will stay at 1 durability and still wont break cause it uses power instead, which makes the fastest pick there is I believe.

EDIT: Unless it's patched, long time since I played.

I ain't got ardite lol

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
You can mine cobalt with alumite, you dont have to have steel. I've pretty much skipped cobalt and manylyn in favor of enderium in both tools and weapons. Several times more powerful. Shiny is also powerful.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
You can mine cobalt with alumite, you dont have to have steel. I've pretty much skipped cobalt and manylyn in favor of enderium in both tools and weapons. Several times more powerful. Shiny is also powerful.
Steel doesn't require diamonds, though. Plus, you know - steel.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Unless of course you've got an Igneous Extruder. No diamonds needed.
True, but I tend not to use it that way, as it effectively removes the only large progression gating in vanilla. It feels cheaty to me. Plus by the time I'm comfortable enough to think about what amounts to a fancy cobblegen, I've already got diamonds.