A good thinker's hammer?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I tend to use it like that only because I always have trouble finding diamonds. Even with Tinker's Hammers letting me strip out the last fifteen layers of the world in a hurry, it's still an issue.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Unless of course you've got an Igneous Extruder. No diamonds needed.

I wonder how many people don't know you can combine lava and water in a TiC smeltery to create molten obsidian. Its a "vanilla TiC" feature.

1 - Place a drain facing upward on the top layer of the smeltery.
2 - Place a block of cobble on top of it.
3 - Place a seared tank/glass/window against the side of the cobble.
4 - Remove the cobble.
5 - Place a faucet against the seared tank/glass/window above the drain.

You can now pour any liquid you put in the seared tank/glass/window into the smeltery by clicking on the faucet.

If you first pour lava in the smeltery and then water it will combine (just like an alloy) into obsidian.

A seared liquid container can hold 4 buckets of liquid, just enough to create 4 obsidian. I usually create my enchanting table this way, instead of mining the obsidian.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the Ardite+Capacitor trick for hammers is gone. Sure was fun while it lasted. They always take the fun things away.

Anyhow, in almost every modpack I play with Tinker's in it, I find that I never have to move beyond simple Alumite. Oh sure, I can make Cobalt hammers or Manyullyn eventually, but I just find there's really no need. I can make millions of Alumite ingots easily and just carry around a Tool Forge to repair the hammer when it gets low.

Also, I've learned that with some moss for Auto-Repair, I basically never have to repair any of my tools, unless I'm mining for an hour straight. Then I just repair the tool manually.

Cobalt and Ardite can be very limited quantity if you're playing on a multiplayer server like I usually am. Therefore, using Alumite for all my tools makes good sense to me. They don't really slow me down, they allow me to mine any ore (even cobalt and ardite), and they're cheap and easily available (even in early game, I can make alumite within the first couple of minecraft days in a new world). What could be better than that?

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, the Ardite+Capacitor trick for hammers is gone. Sure was fun while it lasted. They always take the fun things away.

Anyhow, in almost every modpack I play with Tinker's in it, I find that I never have to move beyond simple Alumite. Oh sure, I can make Cobalt hammers or Manyullyn eventually, but I just find there's really no need. I can make millions of Alumite ingots easily and just carry around a Tool Forge to repair the hammer when it gets low.

Also, I've learned that with some moss for Auto-Repair, I basically never have to repair any of my tools, unless I'm mining for an hour straight. Then I just repair the tool manually.

Cobalt and Ardite can be very limited quantity if you're playing on a multiplayer server like I usually am. Therefore, using Alumite for all my tools makes good sense to me. They don't really slow me down, they allow me to mine any ore (even cobalt and ardite), and they're cheap and easily available (even in early game, I can make alumite within the first couple of minecraft days in a new world). What could be better than that?
I still like steel better. :p
Real men dwarves use steel for everything... Except lighting. Lighting requires magma. ;)