Guide - How to run FTB via MultiMC(while launcher isn't working)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Download the latest version of MultiMC: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1000645-multimc-42-windows-linux-mac/
  2. Run MultiMC.
  3. Click on the drop down arrow to the right of "New Instance"
  4. Select "Import from FTB Launcher"
  5. Find the folder that has your FTB launcher exe in it and click select folder.
  6. Select FTBBETA from the "Select FTB pack to import" dialogue box and click ok.
  7. Name the instance(doesn't matter whatcha name it).
  8. It will discover and copy the files, so for now just wait.
  9. Right click on your new instance and click play.
  10. Put in your username and password for Minecraft, then click ok. MultiMC should do everything else for you.
  11. Play FTB!
Note: This requires you to already have FTB installed. If you do not have the FTB launcher downloaded already, this will not work for you.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
May also want to put in there that while using MultiMC to load the mods you will not get prompted for updates.

Also FTB launcher has offline button so this will be pointless to do anyway.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
It helps for people who insist on using MultiMC. There a a few people out there who use it, but seem to do it wrong, frequently.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see an offline button on my launcher, and even if there is, I'm fairly certain that this was posted before it was included. Something isn't pointless because just you don't use it. Lots of people use MultiMC, and whether or not they should use the launcher or MultiMC shouldn't be the issue here anyways. Plus if people are using MultiMC, they should have already realized that they won't get prompted for updates.

D

deadscion

The issue is users wanting the freedom of online play without hindrance. An offline play button will not allow the user to choose a mod pack to play with, if the download server has not displayed information about the mod pack in question, even if the mod pack was already downloaded.
What are you trying to do? make sure paid users get the mod packs? We need added authentication like a hole in the head.
You must separate the download/install action controls from the game launcher controls, else this issue of unreliability will just continue.
People are resorting to another launcher like MultiMC because they can not use the FTB launcher when they need it to play the game.
Making the user go through 2 different servers (FTB download/install/update server and Minecraft authentication login server) before they can play the game online is superfluous.
One possible suggestion: Write a function to check for mod packs already downloaded and indicate these mod packs were already downloaded in the mod pack choices before connecting to the download server. This way if the download server is down for any reason the user can still go online choosing what is already installed and play the game.
Do not delete my posts unless you delete me as well.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Sir, I do not know why you are so angry, and frankly, I don't care. But could you please stop transferring your anger from one thread to the next? It is putting a rather negative feeling to every post you reply to. We want these forums to be a neutral place, not an angry one.

Reactions: ScottWears

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
I don't see an offline button on my launcher, and even if there is, I'm fairly certain that this was posted before it was included. Something isn't pointless because just you don't use it. Lots of people use MultiMC, and whether or not they should use the launcher or MultiMC shouldn't be the issue here anyways. Plus if people are using MultiMC, they should have already realized that they won't get prompted for updates.

Version 1.0.3:

• Implemented ability to play offline if mod pack is previously downloaded and minecraft servers are down.

Kagbok

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we cannot add our own local packages to the FTB launcher. If you play on a vanilla FTB server but experiment with mods in SSP then MultiMC is almost a necessity.

D

deadscion

OK I will state this as simple as I can, trying not to be disrespectful.
Hypothetical Situation:
Repo.creeperhost.net(the download/install server) is down. Minecraft.net(minecraft login server) is up and running fine.
Error:
FTB launcher does not work for any game play offline or online. MultiMC with FTB mod packs works fine for both online and offline.
In fact even a manual install of the FTB mod pack in Vanilla Minecraft will still work in this situation.
This is the problem, this is wrong.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
OK I will state this as simple as I can, trying not to be disrespectful.
Hypothetical Situation:
Repo.creeperhost.net(the download/install server) is down. Minecraft.net(minecraft login server) is up and running fine.
Error:
FTB launcher does not work for any game play offline or online. MultiMC with FTB mod packs works fine for both online and offline.
In fact even a manual install of the FTB mod pack in Vanilla Minecraft will still work in this situation.
This is the problem, this is wrong.
And as previously stated: FTB is not perfect. They are still developing this product (which I would like to remind you is entirely free for you to use). They JUST released their official launcher 5 days ago. They have stated it is not complete yet.
So, either, you can stop using it until it is entirely completed (since you have so many problems with it in its current state) or you can go ahead and make your own launcher and mod pack with absolutely non of the issues you have found with Feed The Beast. I for one, am entirely grateful that someone else did all of the hard work for me, and those same people are still working toward making my gaming experience better. Ok, so there's a third option for you, be thankful and patient like the rest of us.

Reactions: warfighter67

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
And as previously stated: FTB is not perfect. They are still developing this product (which I would like to remind you is entirely free for you to use). They JUST released their official launcher 5 days ago. They have stated it is not complete yet.
So, either, you can stop using it until it is entirely completed (since you have so many problems with it in its current state) or you can go ahead and make your own launcher and mod pack with absolutely non of the issues you have found with Feed The Beast. I for one, am entirely grateful that someone else did all of the hard work for me, and those same people are still working toward making my gaming experience better. Ok, so there's a third option for you, be thankful and patient like the rest of us.

I have spoken to deadscion about this topic and i would like both of you just to drop the topic.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to think that this post is here to help people. Maybe not too much anymore, considering there is an offline button on the FTB launcher now, however, it is here for those who want it. If you don't want to use MultiMC, that's fine, but this thread is not the place to discuss that.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we cannot add our own local packages to the FTB launcher. If you play on a vanilla FTB server but experiment with mods in SSP then MultiMC is almost a necessity.

You can add mods via the "Edit Mod Pack" interface. The problem then becomes that you may have to remove/disable those mods whenever you're connecting SMP and the like.

That said, the FTB launcher is not intended as a competitor to or a replacement for MultiMC. There are things done better in each program, and it will continue in that vein; use what makes sense. =)

I'd like to think that this post is here to help people. Maybe not too much anymore, considering there is an offline button on the FTB launcher now, however, it is here for those who want it. If you don't want to use MultiMC, that's fine, but this thread is not the place to discuss that.

Still useful for some, no worries on that. =)

D

deadscion

The pros and cons maybe?
FTB is designed to provide you with a choice of your favourite mod pack downloaded, properly installed, kept up to date, and playable.
Getting a lot of mods to work together is not an easy chore, these guys should be applauded for this feat alone with the FTB Mod Pack.
MultiMC is a tool for installing mods one at a time into a playable game configuration call an instance.
Designed to work mostly with Forge API, the config files sometimes need to be adjusted to avoid block ID conflict, etc.
Quite often when you get an -instance- working well you can share it with your friends as a zipped folder or whatever.
So while FTB Launcher does all the complex work of mod building for you, MultiMC with a bit of study and research will allow you to build your own custom mod pack.

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that, but as long as you run the FTB launcher one time, and you should have been able to considering you were able to download the launcher, the configs are setup for you already. Then you can use the import tool that MultiMC has and you're basically gravy.

D

deadscion

ahh a new feature in MultiMC I did not know about. This is a new button in the top bar menu.( drop down option under the down arrow icon)
After pressing this option, I had to open my FTB folder where I placed FTB launcher, then the temp folder and press the open button on the file dialog.
A set of choices pops up in a new window. I chose the FTBBETAA and pressed ok.
The thing asked the name of the new instance and automaticly transfered the entire mod pack as a MultiMC instance right to MultiMC.
All I had to do was select the new instance I named FTB, of course, and press play.
Nice.
Thanks Sephrik! that was cool,,,

Sephrik

Jul 29, 2019
That's exactly what the instructions in this thread have you do, actually. Glad I could be of help never the less.

Reactions: Vauthil

leftler

Jul 29, 2019
What should people who want to get the pack and they don't have the exe or jar yet in the first-place and the creeperhost link is down?

Status
Not open for further replies.