Automating Buildcraft with AE2

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I am trying to plan a buildcraft assembly table (and integration table) area -

To the peeps that have done this - how many unique assembly tables will I need? It looks like at least three to prevent inadvertent recipe overlap.

Peeve: Is it really necessary for the assembly table and integration table to have different behaviors wrt their completed crafts (where the assembly table just ejects into an adjacent inventory / the world and the integration table has an internal inventory slot for output)?

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
@Peeve: No. But currently changing it would be a breaking change. We're still thinking on what to do.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
The main clashes I can think of are Redstone chipsets + pretty much everything else except facades. Iron Chipsets + Pipe Wire, and the pairs of Gates (AND and OR) I think you can craft ANDs into ORs and vica versa (Might need a redstone chipset though.) And if you doing Facades, the hollow and non-hollow clash (although at least the non-hollow is craftable to the hollow)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Also - If I place interfaces below the tables, and place them adjacent they eject into each other rather than the interface below? Is there any way to tame this without resorting to just spacing everything out?

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
Also - If I place interfaces below the tables, and place them adjacent they eject into each other rather than the interface below? Is there any way to tame this without resorting to just spacing everything out?
You can wrench the interfaces to point upwards, so they will only put items in the inventory above them.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
The problem isn't the interfaces, it's the tables that will eject to any adjacent inventory, including other tables.
The only way around this is not having Tables adjacent to each other to my knowledge.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
You can wrench the interfaces to point upwards, so they will only put items in the inventory above them.

ME Interfaces automatically ignore other interfaces if there are other inventories available. The Buildcraft Assembly Table however has no such logic, and seems to prefer inventories above or to the side - even if other tables. Personally - given that buildcraft has pipes and gates for the exact purpose of extracting items from inventories - I think they should just have their automatic ejection removed, and simply have an inventory slot for output - like every other buildcraft crafting device.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
ME Interfaces automatically ignore other interfaces if there are other inventories available. The Buildcraft Assembly Table however has no such logic, and seems to prefer inventories above or to the side - even if other tables. Personally - given that buildcraft has pipes and gates for the exact purpose of extracting items from inventories - I think they should just have their automatic ejection removed, and simply have an inventory slot for output - like every other buildcraft crafting device.

As I said: "No. But currently changing it would be a breaking change. We're still thinking on what to do."

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Only way I can see to make this fool proof is to make a dedicated assembly table for each chipset. Then the builds footprint gets larger if you automate pipe gates as they need a separate machine now. Theres no making it compact.
To make it fast enough for an ae system you are gonna need 20+ lazers anyway. Otherwise the assembly table will tie up your crafting processors waiting for its output.

This build is going to have an exceptionally large footprint space efficiency isn't gonna look efficient. Space things out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
The Buildcraft Assembly Table however has no such logic, and seems to prefer inventories above or to the side - even if other tables.
I view that as a feature rather than a shortcoming. This way you can do multi-step autocrafting by having a line of assembly tables, each one outputting into the next.

L

Lady_K7332

I know I'm necroing I did look at the dates, just thought since, I googled "buildcraft + ae2" this was the first topic on the search page *face-palm* It would be wonderful if our major automation and industry modders would coordinate some useful bridge blocks to be included or create a uniform style for blocks to work with, or maybe look into eventually merging them altogether which would be super stellar to have a massive mod from the lands of insanity and industry.

asiekierka

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
Dec 24, 2013
I know I'm necroing I did look at the dates, just thought since, I googled "buildcraft + ae2" this was the first topic on the search page *face-palm* It would be wonderful if our major automation and industry modders would coordinate some useful bridge blocks to be included or create a uniform style for blocks to work with, or maybe look into eventually merging them altogether which would be super stellar to have a massive mod from the lands of insanity and industry.

Not happening. Modders agree on far less things than you'd think, which is why we have so many mods in the first place. Heh.