Pigmen reflect damage or something else?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 1x1 kill zone for a series of spawners (2 zombie, 2 skellie, 1 piggy) that fall through a 1 heart left fall for zombie/skellies - ish.

The more pigmen in that box when I swing with a sword of the zephyr, the higher the chance I instantly die. This is with 9.5 (grav suit, Quantum legs, Boots of the traveler, Goggles Protection IV on boots), and even if I have a regeneration effect from ambrosia.

If I punch them, I've no issues, just takes too long.

Is this normal behavior, a side effect of the innately overpowered/overenchanted sword I'm using, or something else, effect of a stressed aura or something else? Anyone have any insight, I'd love to fix it before I start building different drops for each spawner to toon the falls to 1 punch kills.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried doing it with another sword see if the same happens, you say you punched them, but maybe it has to do with weapons?

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Good call, it doesn't happen with a regular sword, and it still happens with an unenchanted version of the Sword of the Zephyr, so is it an intended consequence of the cleave attack on too many mobs ( I didn't have the issue up to 35 or so mobs before piggies were added and don't seem to have the issue if there are no piggies in the kill box)...

NightKev

Jul 29, 2019
It might be a bug with the Sword of the Zephyr, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to bounce back at you.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I've killed myself several times, but the good news is my own head is mounted to my wall.. ;) Le Sigh... It only seems the piggies have the affect when in the kill chamber, but I'll have to move things around to see if its a mob count rather then specific mob that's doing it. Wanted to put a portal book switching turtle in place to change the target to a remote killing station (with 4 turtles) that drops the experience into an unloaded chunk anyways time to "improve" :)

Thanks

Reactions: MFINN23

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
well, I saw in the thaumcraft topic about someone that when he hits pigmen he gets damaged back. Only pigmen tough, and I can tell you that I have a zephyr sword and it hasn't killed me yet.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
well, I saw in the thaumcraft topic about someone that when he hits pigmen he gets damaged back. Only pigmen tough, and I can tell you that I have a zephyr sword and it hasn't killed me yet.
If that is the case, then even if he only get's hit for half a heart. in a killzone like the one he got set up there could easily be more than 20 zombie pigmen. a solution would be to toss a splash health potion into the mess instead. they are pretty cheap to make, and make decent grenades against the undead. also. experience galore even when the potion is dispensed from a dispenser.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I'll let the turtles handle the piggies... I only need one of my own head on the wall:)

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I've killed myself several times, but the good news is my own head is mounted to my wall.. ;) Le Sigh... It only seems the piggies have the affect when in the kill chamber, but I'll have to move things around to see if its a mob count rather then specific mob that's doing it. Wanted to put a portal book switching turtle in place to change the target to a remote killing station (with 4 turtles) that drops the experience into an unloaded chunk anyways time to "improve" :)

Thanks
Hah, I'm gunna use this to get my own head now :D

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I have had the same issue myself. I was also wondering if it was a bug or not.

I usually use splash healing potions but one time I didn't shut off the spawners and then wait long enough for them all to fall down before i threw the potion. With a few in there i started swinging my sword. Next thing I know I am on fire and taking damage. That was when my Vorpal got me a few heads.
So I did it with about 150 mobs in there. I think I ended up with like 1.5 hearts left or something like that. I did get a bunch of heads though.

Then I pulled a derp and threw 20 of the heads in when I only meant to throw in 2. So my flux was at dangerous for a bit. Good thing my node is in a cave underground.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say it could be a bug with the Zephyr lightning jumping to/from non-hostile mobs. Perhaps there is a chance of bouncing back at you?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I also feel that something is weird with zombie pigmen. I only attacked them once since the update to 1.4+, and when I did, I almost instantly died. Admittedly, the difficulty was set to Hard, but I was wearing full diamond armor. I thought I would have a decent chance against a solo pigman.

Not so - I died in what I remember as two hits. As if the pigman completely ignored my armor and did the full 5 hearts of damage it would do on an unarmored target in Hard difficulty.

Now, I was hitting him with an enchanted diamond sword. I forget which enchants were on it, but it was a pretty powerful thing. If there was damage reflection going on, then maybe that was what reduced my health so much?

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
from what I know, if the head is made and you change skin it won't get changed.
They head texture isnt stored localy in the terain files, but gotten from the minecraft site, which means once those data changes the head changes

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
If you hit one pigman, you'll aggro every other one in a large radius. If you're standing too close to the mob grinder, it could be that so many of them are hitting you at the exact same time that the small invulnerability time that you have after you get hit might not protect you agianst the extra pigmen.
I'm assuming this is a bug, though, as somebody said that normal swords don't have this issue.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I also feel that something is weird with zombie pigmen. I only attacked them once since the update to 1.4+, and when I did, I almost instantly died.

Yes, they got a (possibly unintentional) significant buff in 1.4. If I recall correctly, a pigman with an unenchanted sword will hit an unarmored player for 6.5 hearts. What I think happened is that when mobs gained the ability to pick up items, weapon damage for whatever they're holding was added to their attacks, but zombie pigman damage wasn't nerfed accordingly - so they do the same unarmed damage as they used to, *plus* sword damage. Makes them a really significant threat now, and even more so if they kill you and pick up your gear!

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
But unless piggies can do such damage with their pinky toe rings, they don't otherwise have access to my hit box. And that doesn't explain why it doesn't happen with normal swords, or punching them in the ankles. If that was the case (group aggro and lucky hits) then punching the pile would also definitely have the same results.