FTB Departed Discussion

peterM

Jul 29, 2019
How do you actually prevent monsters from spawning?
I have light all over the place and I've got laboratory blocks as floor and they are still spawning...

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
How do you actually prevent monsters from spawning?
I have light all over the place and I've got laboratory blocks as floor and they are still spawning...
I'm not sure what laboratory blocks are, but I believe they need to be partial blocks, or non-opaque. My house is mostly half slabs and glass and I haven't had any issues.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of questions about bows. First, does infinity work on AoA bows? Second, I managed to get a Pow 4 Unbreaking 3 book and another pow 4 book, and I was wondering what the best early game AoA bow was. I've got a Void bow and I can make a few different other bows. If AoA bows can't do infinity then i'll probably end up using a Botania Crystal bow or a Thaumcraft Bone Bow.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
we've been playing on a server for about a week I think and have run into most of the same problems as everyone else. We all have a quota of assassins we must kill to continue on with the day :)

I've been leveling up my rune skills tho since I haven't done them yet and when I got to lunalus I spent an hour or more flying around and could not find a shrine. Is this a worldgen bug of our own or am I not finding the secret spot where it's hiding? I've looked above and below the balls, finding everything but a shrine.

pls don't nerf but the botania apple bypasses sol completely and now all of us have one after grinding gaia2 for a bit. it's bliss since the stack of food for lunchboxes is so low. It absolutely kills your desire to go exploring. If we had a bigger enderstorage by default or a real backpack option then I think that would work as well. Our admin takes a 'hands off' approach and leaves all configs the way they were from the beginning.

we found a good material to make our flooring out of. leaves. and it works great and base looks pretty awesome too w/o slabs everywhere.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
we've been playing on a server for about a week I think and have run into most of the same problems as everyone else. We all have a quota of assassins we must kill to continue on with the day :)

we found a good material to make our flooring out of. leaves. and it works great and base looks pretty awesome too w/o slabs everywhere.
Leaves. Why didn't I think of this. I'll definitely be using leaves from now on.

Also, am I the only one that isn't having assassin issues. I've only ever seen like 3, and they spawned together.

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
A couple of questions about bows. First, does infinity work on AoA bows? Second, I managed to get a Pow 4 Unbreaking 3 book and another pow 4 book, and I was wondering what the best early game AoA bow was. I've got a Void bow and I can make a few different other bows. If AoA bows can't do infinity then i'll probably end up using a Botania Crystal bow or a Thaumcraft Bone Bow.
I'm sure its a matter of opinion, but I believe the speed bow is one of the best early game bows. I don't know about enchantments, but I believed that AoA stuff was compatable with all related vanilla enchantments.

I've been leveling up my rune skills tho since I haven't done them yet and when I got to lunalus I spent an hour or more flying around and could not find a shrine. Is this a worldgen bug of our own or am I not finding the secret spot where it's hiding? I've looked above and below the balls, finding everything but a shrine.
Do you mean the altar for summoning the boss? From what I've seen in the other dimensions it seems more likely to spawn high than low, but I don't really know. I thought I read something about there being something at 0,0 in Lunalus, but I can't find anything about that now. Is that what you were talking about?

Leaves. Why didn't I think of this. I'll definitely be using leaves from now on.

Also, am I the only one that isn't having assassin issues. I've only ever seen like 3, and they spawned together.
It's more of an issue for servers because the spawn is chunk loaded all night while no one is playing, so days come and go with assassins that never despawn. So if 3 show up every 4 minecraft days, one night in real life and you'll be swarmed. But even in sp, you'll start to notice them if you sit around in your base trying to do one of the magic mods included in the pack.

XolovA

Jul 29, 2019
All AoA weapons are enchantable. The special enchants [Archmage, Sever, Crush, Intervention, etc...] can only be applied from an Infusion Table. All vanilla enchants can be added to corresponding types of items as per usual.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure its a matter of opinion, but I believe the speed bow is one of the best early game bows. I don't know about enchantments, but I believed that AoA stuff was compatable with all related vanilla enchantments.

It's more of an issue for servers because the spawn is chunk loaded all night while no one is playing, so days come and go with assassins that never despawn. So if 3 show up every 4 minecraft days, one night in real life and you'll be swarmed. But even in sp, you'll start to notice them if you sit around in your base trying to do one of the magic mods included in the pack.

Yeah, I'm just worried about the holy arrows with infinity. The thaumcraft bone bow won't use its infinity if it's firing the elemental arrows but only needs one vanilla arrow to keep going. I'm just worried about wasting a bunch of xp on an enchant that doesn't actually work. Like, using nei, you can enchant a tinkers' bow with infinity and (iirc) it works with vanilla arrows but not with tinkers' arrows.

All AoA weapons are enchantable. The special enchants [Archmage, Sever, Crush, Intervention, etc...] can only be applied from an Infusion Table. All vanilla enchants can be added to corresponding types of items as per usual.
I'm having a very hard time not being sarcastic right now, but thanks.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
Do you mean the altar for summoning the boss? From what I've seen in the other dimensions it seems more likely to spawn high than low, but I don't really know. I thought I read something about there being something at 0,0 in Lunalus, but I can't find anything about that now. Is that what you were talking about?

no, I mean the shrine, as I stated, to make the runes. none of us can find one there. Because of this, we can't make Lunar runes. Haven't had any issues finding any other shrines, just this one.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
couple of us made crossbows, then decided not to use them, and a couple of us are using crystal bows with power on it. Then we grinded gaia2 for things and now all of us have excaliburs so we're not worried about bows anymore :) gaia2 isn't that bad with a fallen kanade and terrasteel armor.

zourath

Jul 29, 2019
Some advice when dealing with excess assassins, they are considered villagers for all major modded villager uses. So tossing them into a smeltery will get you molten emerald, and you can sacrifice them in place of villagers in the witchery rituals that call for a live sacrifice. The emerald thing is especially good when you consider that the assassins have 250 hp.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure I follow.
How many mods have tools, weapons, and armor that aren't enchantable? Tinkers' Construct? It just seemed like one of the most obvious, if not the most obvious, answers I could get. The tidbit about the infusion table is helpful, which was the reason I didn't post an old Captain Obvious pic.

Trying to ween myself off those sarcastic and passive aggressive tendencies. Good customer service is really hard to pull off as of late.

XolovA

Jul 29, 2019
Captain Obvious pic.
Then I'm really not sure I follow. You asked if it could be properly enchanted with Infinity, to which I responded that any of the enchants work. Yet for some reason me saying that was a "Captain Obvious" moment. If this is the case, why ask. :confused:

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Then I'm really not sure I follow. You asked if it could be properly enchanted with Infinity, to which I responded that any of the enchants work. Yet for some reason me saying that was a "Captain Obvious" moment. If this is the case, why ask. :confused:
Yes, they are all enchantable. Yes, vanilla enchants can be added to corresponding types of items. It does not however mean that the enchant will function properly, which is what brought this:
Yeah, I'm just worried about the holy arrows with infinity. The thaumcraft bone bow won't use its infinity if it's firing the elemental arrows but only needs one vanilla arrow to keep going. I'm just worried about wasting a bunch of xp on an enchant that doesn't actually work. Like, using nei, you can enchant a tinkers' bow with infinity and (iirc) it works with vanilla arrows but not with tinkers' arrows.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
The elemental arrows not working with infinity is something special to them, if you read the thaumonomicon you'd see that it makes it only have a 1/3 chance of not using an arrow with infinity instead of the standard never expending an arrow. It's something specific to the thaumcraft arrows and not a general thing with mod arrows.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
The elemental arrows not working with infinity is something special to them, if you read the thaumonomicon you'd see that it makes it only have a 1/3 chance of not using an arrow with infinity instead of the standard never expending an arrow. It's something specific to the thaumcraft arrows and not a general thing with mod arrows.
Ok, first off, If i'm sounding like an ass, then I apologize. I'm just getting everything but a yes or a no. I appreciate everyone trying to explain things, it's a great practice, but I already know all of this. I asked two questions: The best early game bow and whether infinity worked on the AoA bows. The best bow is a matter of opinion as there is some really good ones. However, all I was getting on the infinity/AoA/Holy arrows thing was a "you can enchant the aoa bows with infinity, not a "Yes, with infinity an AoA bow only needs one Holy Arrow." Typically, like with Tinkers' Construct, Thaumcraft, and Better Dungeons, nonvanilla arrows tend to have a downside of not working with an infinity bow.

I ended up just spawning in a Holy arrow and Void bow, giving the bow infinity, and Yes it does work just like the Infinity enchant would work on a vanilla set of bow and arrow.

IndraUchiha

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like too ask a question so my Friend has this thing where every time he gets hit it uses an experience level anyone know what that is? Also just by looking at me he gives me wither I know its called deadly gaze but how do i get it?