FTB Departed Discussion

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
how do you get amidst to work with ftb?, I tried it but its only gives me vanilla MC worlds and I'd really like some help finding biomes,
It only supports vanilla biomes and structures, it's useful here because of the small mod list causing the game to still generate biomes and structures near identically to vanilla, thaumcraft biomes override without changing the pattern and no structures seem to screw with dungeon/village spawning.

So yeah, most modpacks it won't work, anything with extra biomes is incredibly unlikely to work. We're lucky Thaumcraft does work.

EDIT: Typo fixed that could've confused people.

Last edited:
Reactions: goreae

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
It only supports vanilla biomes and structures, it's useful here because of the small mocking causing the game to still generate biomes and structures near identically to vanilla, thaumcraft biomes override without changing the pattern and no structures seem to screw with dungeon/village spawning.

So yeah, most modpacks it won't work, anything with extra biomes is incredibly unlikely to work. We're lucky Thaumcraft does work.
Exactly. I even have a screenshot of my million chunk map along with a capture from amidst for comparison:
http://imgur.com/a/QQ3Y4

As you can see, the maps are entirely the same excepting for TC biomes. The amidst map is based on a vanilla 1.7.10 profile.

hanleybrand

Jul 29, 2019
how do you get amidst to work with ftb?, I tried it but its only gives me vanilla MC worlds and I'd really like some help finding biomes,

It doesn't really work with ftb, but it gives an idea of what the world would be like (I was just using it to look at the basic 3K box around the spawn). The POI placement is pretty spot on even with the worldgen changes (I'm guessing if BOP, etc. was part of the pack this wouldn't be the case)

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I've been thinking about armor in this pack, and i'm rather saddened by the options. The Weaken armor seems like the obvious choice, but there's still so much other stuff i'd love to use. Tinkers' wings gives a fantastic jump boost and with modifiers lets you glide and double jump. Thaumcraft has the Boots of the traveler and Thaumic Tinkerer's Helm of revealing. Botania has its Terrasteel armor and all of its upgrades. So what is everyone else using? Is the Weaken armor really all that or is it better to use a combination of armors?

statphantom

Jul 29, 2019
I've been thinking about armor in this pack, and i'm rather saddened by the options. The Weaken armor seems like the obvious choice, but there's still so much other stuff i'd love to use. Tinkers' wings gives a fantastic jump boost and with modifiers lets you glide and double jump. Thaumcraft has the Boots of the traveler and Thaumic Tinkerer's Helm of revealing. Botania has its Terrasteel armor and all of its upgrades. So what is everyone else using? Is the Weaken armor really all that or is it better to use a combination of armors?

For the AOA armors you need to use the whole set to get the bonuses, the early ones are a bit like that, weaken is amazing but alacrity is also usefull in certain situations (such as the first boss stop). and later armors give you better and more bonuses.

basically AOA armors don't work the same as most mods where it just gets better or adds extra protection, but work more like you need to eventually get them all and use certain ones at certain times.

I prefer the method of slowly getting better and better armor rather then different situational armors but it is how this mod was coded and is how you need to look at it.

Reactions: Retec

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
For the AOA armors you need to use the whole set to get the bonuses, the early ones are a bit like that, weaken is amazing but alacrity is also usefull in certain situations (such as the first boss stop). and later armors give you better and more bonuses.

basically AOA armors don't work the same as most mods where it just gets better or adds extra protection, but work more like you need to eventually get them all and use certain ones at certain times.

I prefer the method of slowly getting better and better armor rather then different situational armors but it is how this mod was coded and is how you need to look at it.
Well, at least the immune to Wither/poison/etc armors are made obsolete. The Talisman of Remedium is really nice to have. I might look into Botania's Tainted Blood pendant and see if botania has a resistance potion.

TheRangerX

Jul 29, 2019
I've only added Ruins (with customized content using Jordan_Peacock's templates which added maybe some of coolest POIs I've encountered so far - JP makes good use of mob labelling so skeletons are labelled stuff like "undead archer" etc. etc.)

I might also add COFHcore (for the assassin overpopulation - but also when the untouchable mobs spawn in villages and the guards can't hit them either), and additionally I might switch to that antique atlas map mod, but I like the free teleports in journey map (not sure if AA offers that), although it looks like you can have both installed at once.
I've also added CoFHCore to manage the NPCs.

Additionally, I've added Blood Magic, Sanguinmancy, and Ancient Warfare 2.

AW2 was a great add I think. Controllable NPCs for moderate automation and defense. Plus, it is less techy and fits thematically with the pack I think. Just a caution for those who want to add AW2 though, you will need to mod the config for NPC targeting to add all of the nevermine hostile mobs. Which was difficult for me because I didn't have a great naming resource for all the added mobs.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
How are people going about exploring Lunalus/The new end?

My biggest problem right now is with hardcore ender expansion, the dragon has completely destroyed any land near my end spawn. I suppose I could find another stronghold and hope it's attached to the mainland and then kill him in 5 seconds with a TiC bow, but I'm not sure how fighting him is intended to go? Jumping around with a gravity gun and enchanted alacrity armor?

Past that, exploration through the two dimensions seems tedious, Lunalus is okay with a gravity gun and a glider, but from what little I've seen of the land around the End before the dragon destroyed everything seemed like it would be a pain even with a gravity gun and a glider. Is there something I'm missing here?

Other than that and what's been mentioned in the thread already, the biggest thing I'd like to see is more mix/matching of armor sets. Or more unique pieces that will combine with any armor set. But the first boss I killed was Corallus four times because he (in my opinion) had the most interesting loot.

Edit: Also, I saw someone mentioning trouble summoning Shroomus? I have this issue as well, tried clicking all over Mysterium with a shroom stone.

XolovA

Jul 29, 2019
How are people going about exploring Lunalus/The new end?

Edit: Also, I saw someone mentioning trouble summoning Shroomus? I have this issue as well, tried clicking all over Mysterium with a shroom stone.
There indeed was a bug where Shroomus would be checking a previously hard-coded dimension ID. This is why it worked for some people, as they didn't configure it. However, that bug is now fixed.

benkc

Jul 29, 2019
Hunting XP seems incredibly slow. On the small server I play on, we've been grinding it for ~11 days, and the highest anyone's gotten is 20-- that's frequently hitting blood hunt and full moon, and hanging out in extreme hills and jungles, when not off exploring other dimensions. Is there a config option to tweak this? (I don't see one.) Is there something we're missing? I saw mention of diminishing returns -- is there shared diminishing returns for all players, and so we're just screwed because we're playing multiplayer?

Edit: Oh yeah, I came here for two reasons. The other is: everywhere near our base has gotten severely overrun by assassins. We kill them frequently, I've dumped tons into the TiCo smeltery for emeralds, and still we're being overrun to the point where I think it's hurting server performance -- and I strongly suspect it counts against the hostile mob cap, as there are very few mobs out anywhere near our base anymore, night or day. Tonight I decided it was time to just kill them all with something like the /kill @e[type=whatever] command, but it looks like that's 1.8 and up, sadly.

Last edited:

Crackerz

Jul 29, 2019
Hunting XP seems incredibly slow. On the small server I play on, we've been grinding it for ~11 days, and the highest anyone's gotten is 20-- that's frequently hitting blood hunt and full moon, and hanging out in extreme hills and jungles, when not off exploring other dimensions. Is there a config option to tweak this? (I don't see one.) Is there something we're missing? I saw mention of diminishing returns -- is there shared diminishing returns for all players, and so we're just screwed because we're playing multiplayer?

Edit: Oh yeah, I came here for two reasons. The other is: everywhere near our base has gotten severely overrun by assassins. We kill them frequently, I've dumped tons into the TiCo smeltery for emeralds, and still we're being overrun to the point where I think it's hurting server performance -- and I strongly suspect it counts against the hostile mob cap, as there are very few mobs out anywhere near our base anymore, night or day. Tonight I decided it was time to just kill them all with something like the /kill @e[type=whatever] command, but it looks like that's 1.8 and up, sadly.
As you level up your hunter skill, lower-leveled mobs will not give as much XP, mobs in the swamp biome are level 5 and give more XP than level 1 mobs, and mobs in the savanna are level 12 and give more XP than the swamp mobs, and if you want, you could make a teleporter to the Abyss with the Abyss realmstones the bloodhunt mobs drop, A mob there called Jawe is a level 14 hunter mob, as for that level 20 person, the closest mobs to his/her level spawn in a giant haunted castle in Mysterium, so they may want to go there.

And as for your assassin problem, it was a bug in the version of AoA that Departed has, you could update your server with the latest version of AoA 2.3.1

zourath

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumostatic Harness (or, if you want to go further, the Thaumic Tinker robe that gives creative flight).
Witchery and Botania both add their own methods of flight, if one of those are more your bag. Witchery has the flying broomstick and the infernal infusion (Sacrificing a bat gives you flight), while Botania has the Flugel tiaras.

Incendiary

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumostatic Harness (or, if you want to go further, the Thaumic Tinker robe that gives creative flight).
The general consensis seems to be that kami robes are kind of broken for this pack? But flight is flight so I'll look into it as well as the harness, thank you.
Witchery and Botania both add their own methods of flight, if one of those are more your bag. Witchery has the flying broomstick and the infernal infusion (Sacrificing a bat gives you flight), while Botania has the Flugel tiaras.
Both of these, I did not know about so thank you for that.

Retec

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I enjoy in packs with Pam's Harvestcraft and Spice of Life/Hunger Overhaul is creating a variety of foods for proper nutrition. :p However I have found it difficult to work with water and milk in anything other than a very manual way. Milk won't even go into any kind of tank. I have automated some of the foods with Steve's Workshop, but dough and other items that use liquids are a pain. I'd be happy with just a good way of getting the buckets filled so they can go into a crafting grid and be converted into stackable "fresh" versions. Any ideas on automating liquids in this pack?

zourath

Jul 29, 2019
One thing I enjoy in packs with Pam's Harvestcraft and Spice of Life/Hunger Overhaul is creating a variety of foods for proper nutrition. :p However I have found it difficult to work with water and milk in anything other than a very manual way. Milk won't even go into any kind of tank. I have automated some of the foods with Steve's Workshop, but dough and other items that use liquids are a pain. I'd be happy with just a good way of getting the buckets filled so they can go into a crafting grid and be converted into stackable "fresh" versions. Any ideas on automating liquids in this pack?

Try putting a bucket in a dynamism tablet, that might work for getting milk and buckets of water.

Retec

Jul 29, 2019
Try putting a bucket in a dynamism tablet, that might work for getting milk and buckets of water.

Thanks, that seems to work on a cow to get milk, but not on a water block. (I would have guessed the other way around!) I may be eating more cheese based foods now, unless I can find a way for water to work...

I can import the milk from the tablet into Steve's crafting table and make fresh milk, but I can't find any way to get the buckets out of the Extra Storage space (needed since filled buckets don't stack.)

zourath

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, that seems to work on a cow to get milk, but not on a water block. (I would have guessed the other way around!) I may be eating more cheese based foods now, unless I can find a way for water to work...

I can import the milk from the tablet into Steve's crafting table and make fresh milk, but I can't find any way to get the buckets out of the Extra Storage space (needed since filled buckets don't stack.)
If all else fails, try Thaumcraft golems?

benkc

Jul 29, 2019
As you level up your hunter skill, lower-leveled mobs will not give as much XP, mobs in the swamp biome are level 5 and give more XP than level 1 mobs, and mobs in the savanna are level 12 and give more XP than the swamp mobs, and if you want, you could make a teleporter to the Abyss with the Abyss realmstones the bloodhunt mobs drop, A mob there called Jawe is a level 14 hunter mob, as for that level 20 person, the closest mobs to his/her level spawn in a giant haunted castle in Mysterium, so they may want to go there.

And as for your assassin problem, it was a bug in the version of AoA that Departed has, you could update your server with the latest version of AoA 2.3.1

Ah, that's good info about the how the skillups work -- it explains the problem we've had.

We've been looking all over for a Savanna for like a week, with no luck. I finally gave in and loaded it up in Amidst -- closest one is about 4000, 5000 blocks away. o_O We'd actually found a smallish patch of "warm biomes" about 2000 blocks away in a different direction, but it was only desert and variants, no savanna or mesa.

What are the teleportation / fast travel options in this pack? The ones I usually go for aren't present. I'm hoping there's something better than walking 800m in the nether each time we want to go there or back. (I'm fine doing that once, but I really don't want to do that every time.)

Any gotchas I should know about upgrading the mod on the server? Will all the clients need to upgrade as well, or is just upgrading the server OK in this particular case? (Some of my friends are not very technically savvy, so getting them to all tweak their clients correctly is pretty unlikely.)

Thanks for the info! :)