So... Crimson Cult?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
What do this dudes do? As far as I understand (Came back to ftb after a long time so I really need some investigation) this warp thingy is not good and will fuck me.. So, should I do stuff with this crimson cult book and use their armor that has warping without problem? Or should I stay far far away?

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
Warp is a part of TC.
It implements balance.
Some of the more powerful gear, like staff of the primal, is locked behind warp. So you need to decide: Am I going to risk some warp for a powerful item, or play it safe? Warp only gets bad when you have large amounts. In small amounts, it is a nuisance to deal with. In the end it depends. If you are going super deep in TC, go for it.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Warp is a part of TC.
It implements balance.
Some of the more powerful gear, like staff of the primal, is locked behind warp. So you need to decide: Am I going to risk some warp for a powerful item, or play it safe? Warp only gets bad when you have large amounts. In small amounts, it is a nuisance to deal with. In the end it depends. If you are going super deep in TC, go for it.

What does warp do exactly? In minor or large amounts? Does it mean I spread taint or something like that?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
What does warp do exactly? In minor or large amounts? Does it mean I spread taint or something like that?
Minor gives headaches (screen darkens a bit and you hear your heartbeat) and free aspects. Large amounts allows you to fight demons and visit new dimensions. Crimson armor gives temporary warp, not permanent warp.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Minor gives headaches (screen darkens a bit and you hear your heartbeat) and free aspects. Large amounts allows you to fight demons and visit new dimensions. Crimson armor gives temporary warp, not permanent warp.

Free aspects and new dimensions? What's bad about that? :/

Reactions: Benie76

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
That's the nice part.

There are nastier aspects of warp, which includes spawning a fairly tough mob (not as tough as it used to be - but you dont' really want to be unarmored and facing it, especially if it gets a jump on you), Sun Scourned (makes screen bright, and the sun can light you on fire if you in it.) Tempoary blindness or blurred vision. Mining Fatigue, a huge amount of 1 hp Mind Spiders. And Thaumira whcih can make you spawn flux goo. Flux Phage and Flux Flu, which increase vis casting costs, the former of which is also contagious.

EDIT: I should point out both the Guardians, the mobs in the maze dimension, and the Runed Stone in the maze can all give you tempory warp. The warp won't affect you at all if you leave it (and any Warping gear) alone. (it winds down in intensity over time, to eventually the point of no warp events) - but gaining warp or using Warping Gear will step it back to full force again.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
All that stuff

So basically if I get warp I can fuck up my world with Taint from the flux stuff? Is there any way to counter this warp? I mean, I don't want to avoid content but if I have to pay the playability of my world by being constantly attacked and changing blocks on it, it's kinda difficult :/

Reactions: Benie76

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
So basically if I get warp I can fuck up my world with Taint from the flux stuff? Is there any way to counter this warp? I mean, I don't want to avoid content but if I have to pay the playability of my world by being constantly attacked and changing blocks on it, it's kinda difficult :/
yes. The warp ward effect. You can use the arcane spa to make purifying water, removing temp warp and stopping effects. There is also a potion from botania.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
yes. The warp ward effect. You can use the arcane spa to make purifying water, removing temp warp and stopping effects. There is also a potion from botania.

Ooh, ok, that is much better, I can haz the good without the bad with some more effort. Perfct, thanks everyone.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
None of those cause taint AFAIK. The flux stuff increases casting costs, but nothing else. They don't cause taint.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
The only one that could POSSIBLY cause taint is the Thaumaria, but even then you can quite simply place a block over the flux goo released. It's only massive quantities of that that'll cause taint to start.

There are ways to counter warp, the cheapest of which I've already mentioned. Even Taint is fairly easy to combat unless it's a large natural patch of it.

Purifying Bath Salts (in water) make Purifying Fluid which when swam in gives Warp Ward. Botania also has a brew that gives this effect, but it's a little more expensive (and really needs a flask varient to be worthwhile, it doesn't work on Tainted Blood Pendants either, don't know if you can use it with the new potion related mechanic though.)

You can remove tempory and 'sticky' warp with Soap. Using it removes Tempory an has a chance to reduce your sticky warp. The chance increases if you in purifying fluid and/or have Warp Ward.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
There are 3 types of Warp: Permanent, "Sticky", and Temporary.

Permanent Warp is permanent. Once you get it, it never ever goes away without using admin commands or cheaty add-ons. Only way to get Permanent Warp is by researching Forbidden researches. Forbidden Researches will have a spooky dark cloud around them in the Thaumonomicon and the tooltip will let you know the research is forbidden and how forbidden it is. Mostly Harmless gives the least Warp and Taboo gives the most.

Sticky Warp tends to "stick" to you, but isn't technically permanent. It won't go down on its own, but you have a chance of removing some every time you use the soap. Every time you research forbidden research, half the warp is permanent and the other half is sticky. You also get sticky warp from crafting things from forbidden researches or occasionally from eating zombie brains.

Temporary Warp is just that: Temporary. It'll slowly go away on its own if you leave it alone. Eldritch Guardians and rune traps in the Outer Lands can give you temporary warp with their attacks. You can also get it from various douchey items from the Forbidden Magic add-on.

Putting on armor with Warping, or holding weapons/items with Warping will increase your Warp as well. This Warp cannot be removed with soap and will not go down on its own, but all you have to do is unequip the items to make it go back down.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
So, effects of warp? They run a range from "lol" to "OMG AZANOR WHYYYY". Basically, every few ticks, you have a chance of something happpening. The higher your warp, the more likely something is to happen. At lower warp, you'll get less events and they'll generally be pretty harmless. At high levels, you'll get a lot more events and they can be much more annoying/dangerous.

At lower levels, you'll occasionally get things like spoooooky vision shaders, or your character will hear whispers in his ear and get free research points. You'll occasionally get messages saying something's behind you, but nothing will be there...

At mid levels, you'll start seeing various status effects. Some status effects are:
Thaumaria - Your character poops little flux goo puddles. More silly/annoying than actually harmful.
Flux Flu - Your vis efficiency goes down, making everything cost more vis than normal.
Flux Phage - Like Flux Flu, but contagious, so you can spread it to other players. Achoo!
Sun Scorned - Screen gets unbearably bright and sunlight burns your character
Deadly Gaze - Anything you look at gets hurt. Try not to stare at your friends.
Unnatural Hunger - You feel hunger effects and the only way to get sustenance is to eat rotten flesh or zombie brains.

At higher levels, the interesting stuff starts happening. If your warp is high enough, you may get attacked by swarms of mind spiders. The mind spiders are only in your head, so they won't do any damage and they only have 1 HP each.

At the highest levels, everyone's favorite buddies start visiting you. You'll get a message about shapes in the fog and the game will suddenly get really foggy as though you have draw distance at minimum. Eldritch Guardians will spawn around you and attack you. Unlike the mind spiders, the guardians are NOT figments of your imagination and can seriously wreck you if you're not equipped to handle them. By the time you've gotten this much warp, you've probably unlocked a lot of powerful research already, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you were extremely reckless with eating zombie brains and crafting flesh golems.

You can prevent Warp effects from happening to you by using Bath Salts. Every time you take a fancy bath with the bath salts, you gain the Warp Ward status effect. Warp Ward prevents any warp effects from happening while you have it. If you have low warp when taking a bath, Warp Ward will last half an hour or maybe more when using it. At higher warp levels, Warp Ward duration gets shorter and shorter.

If you just muscle through the warp effects, they'll eventually start to wind down in frequency and then stop happening altogether as long as you don't do anything to give yourself more warp.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
To be frank there are only two warp effects I find annoying or frustrating. Sun Scorned and Deadly Gaze. I've lost count of how many mobs I've accidently killed due to Deadly Gaze on Regrowth (fun fact, one was the Wither, and that's kinda ironic since it inflicts a wither effect, I got it right near the end of the fight with him.) Eldrich Guardians are indeed only really an issue if you aren't prepared for them, and I feel Thaumcraft does try and prepare you for them.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
There are 3 types of Warp: Permanent, "Sticky", and Temporary.

Permanent Warp is permanent. Once you get it, it never ever goes away without using admin commands or cheaty add-ons. Only way to get Permanent Warp is by researching Forbidden researches. Forbidden Researches will have a spooky dark cloud around them in the Thaumonomicon and the tooltip will let you know the research is forbidden and how forbidden it is. Mostly Harmless gives the least Warp and Taboo gives the most.

Sticky Warp tends to "stick" to you, but isn't technically permanent. It won't go down on its own, but you have a chance of removing some every time you use the soap. Every time you research forbidden research, half the warp is permanent and the other half is sticky. You also get sticky warp from crafting things from forbidden researches or occasionally from eating zombie brains.

Temporary Warp is just that: Temporary. It'll slowly go away on its own if you leave it alone. Eldritch Guardians and rune traps in the Outer Lands can give you temporary warp with their attacks. You can also get it from various douchey items from the Forbidden Magic add-on.

Putting on armor with Warping, or holding weapons/items with Warping will increase your Warp as well. This Warp cannot be removed with soap and will not go down on its own, but all you have to do is unequip the items to make it go back down.
So you're telling me I SHOULDNT have eaten those 10 zombie brains the other day? :p

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Ok then I'm really fucked xD I've been making like... I don't know, 50 flesh golems? Made those because they are really cheap with my mob farm... God damn it xD

Reactions: SpitefulFox

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Crafting items gets you Sticky warp, the only source of permanent warp is research. You can cleanse the Sticky warp with the Soap you can reasearch. I'd suggest waiting until you unlock the eldrich epiphany and revealation though. Once you got those, there is nothing requiring you to have warp at all.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Ok then I'm really fucked xD I've been making like... I don't know, 50 flesh golems? Made those because they are really cheap with my mob farm... God damn it xD

Good thing about sticky warp is you can get rid of it later with soap. You can use this to your advantage if you want a very min-maxed "character build".

Once your warp gets high enough, you'll unlock the Eldritch Epiphany research. This unlocks the Eldritch tab and allows you to research things like Void Metal.

Get your Warp even higher and you'll unlock Eldritch Revelation. This unlocks most of the final researches in the Eldritch tab, including Void Robes. You need both Eldritch Revelation and the research from the Crimson Cult's book in order to learn how to unlock portals to the Outer Lands.

One way to try and min-max is to craft a crapton of flesh golems and eat lots of brains to give yourself enough sticky Warp to unlock all these things. Then, after you unlock them, use the arcane soap to get rid of the sticky warp and get yourself back to manageable levels so you won't have to permanently deal with having high warp.