Tinkering with Fusion Reactors

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech will have very energy consuming wormhole generator that could send you to its own dimension, or something like that, in the future

I remember about his post: "in hard mode, you have to use the fusion reactor for a long time before you can make the gate", but by the time he release that we might have restarted our world anyway (probably after 1.5).. the fusion reactor still useful though for large area MFFS.

Btw for those who want to store some energy from fusion reactor, there's a new IC2 add-on that have 1 billion eu storage unit made by F4113nb34st..(check it in the pending add-on site), this add-on also include the Insane Voltage transformer (from 32k eu/t to 2048 eu/t), should be useful for fusion reactor :D

Swoop

Jul 29, 2019
The fusion reactor just seams like an odd goal. Once you make it, then what? Gregtech adds so much, yet it's severely lacking in anything to accomplish post fusion reactor.

Infinite energy is an odd goal?
At least there is a big endgame goal in GT to thrive for. In IC2 vanilla it's just "lavagen, massfab, quantum, done" which can be completed in a couple of hours. GT extends the path of progression by a lot - not just by adding crazy resource requirements, but by adding a lot more technological steps (several blast furnace "levels", grinder, implosion compressor,etc...).

Also GT adds many things that require a lot of power. I can't remember when I ever felt the need in vanilla IC2 to build 8 nuclear reactors, just to keep up with my base power requirement. My ore processing alone pulls almost 2000 EU/t, with all those grinders, blast furnaces and electrolyzers. Then there is the matter fabricator which needs s** tons of energy.
Another way to use a lot of power would for example be to run several magma crucibles of electric engines and then centrifuge the lava to get more resources.
There is no such thing as "too much energy". ;)

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds fantastic, do you have a quote on that?

From Greg's list of things that might be added
Other Dimensions (Spacedimensions for example) + Stargate (The Asteroids in the End are not counting as new Dimensions!)
keyword: might, I'm not certain how it would be implemented (there was some talk of making stargates a sort of very rarely generated structure underground), but another dimension has been on that list for a while.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Infinite energy is an odd goal?
At least there is a big endgame goal in GT to thrive for. In IC2 vanilla it's just "lavagen, massfab, quantum, done" which can be completed in a couple of hours. GT extends the path of progression by a lot - not just by adding crazy resource requirements, but by adding a lot more technological steps (several blast furnace "levels", grinder, implosion compressor,etc...).

Also GT adds many things that require a lot of power. I can't remember when I ever felt the need in vanilla IC2 to build 8 nuclear reactors, just to keep up with my base power requirement. My ore processing alone pulls almost 2000 EU/t, with all those grinders, blast furnaces and electrolyzers. Then there is the matter fabricator which needs s** tons of energy.
Another way to use a lot of power would for example be to run several magma crucibles of electric engines and then centrifuge the lava to get more resources.
There is no such thing as "too much energy". ;)

I appreciate the extended progression path, I was just pointing out that by the time you can make a fusion reactor you have already built an EU generating infrastructure that can support matter fabrication and your resource processing requirements to whatever scale you require or desire. Thus building the fusion reactor only eats up resources and forces you to redesign your EU infrastructure to achieve the same results as your previous infrastructure.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
My latest server is nearly able to make a fusion reactor within a few days (putting the pieces together now, it'll be finished by the end of the week at latest ) - we are currently at 5k~ eu/t which while enough to run our base, is not huge amounts of UU matter. Maybe a couple stacks a day. Our quarries don't pull in that much uranium to expand hugely. the uu matter used for energy would give very little extra

But as I said, if you can run off such low power resources I'm not sure what you're doing in this thread anyway... people have made it clear that our manufacturing uses a lot more than yours which in the end is a style of gameplay choice. If you are processing a lot (I think we have 5 quarries up right now feeding in running at max speed) you will need a lot of power. If you process little you will need little power. This shouldn't really be a surprise to you.

Swoop

Jul 29, 2019
I was just pointing out that by the time you can make a fusion reactor you have already built an EU generating infrastructure that can support matter fabrication
Well I didn't. 8 nukes with 230 EU/t each isn't really enough to run a matter fabricator. Also those nukes eat through a lot of uranium - the fusion reactor runs for free. (well ok, it needs water, but water is infinite)
I see your point though. There currently isn't anything in the game that uses so much power that you absolutely have to build a fusion reactor to power it.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
My latest server is nearly able to make a fusion reactor within a few days (putting the pieces together now, it'll be finished by the end of the week at latest ) - we are currently at 5k~ eu/t which while enough to run our base, is not huge amounts of UU matter. Maybe a couple stacks a day. Our quarries don't pull in that much uranium to expand hugely. the uu matter used for energy would give very little extra

But as I said, if you can run off such low power resources I'm not sure what you're doing in this thread anyway... people have made it clear that our manufacturing uses a lot more than yours which in the end is a style of gameplay choice. If you are processing a lot (I think we have 5 quarries up right now feeding in running at max speed) you will need a lot of power. If you process little you will need little power. This shouldn't really be a surprise to you.

Ah, I understand. A fusion reactor could definitely help a giant community project like that. 5 quarries isn't kidding around, that's some serious resource collection. I've only got one quarry and some miners so my machines are not running more often then they are. You must have some massive resource room to store all that junk.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
There are fusion reactor recipes which consume a truckload of EU and create iridium and platinum. I don't know how they compare energy-wise to matterfabricating it - but it would seem kinda pointless if they were worse.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, he mentioned something about change in fusion reactor setup after 1.5.. (more coils? LOL)

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
There are fusion reactor recipes which consume a truckload of EU and create iridium and platinum. I don't know how they compare energy-wise to matterfabricating it - but it would seem kinda pointless if they were worse.

Well a fusion reactor can power 122 matter fabricators simultaneously, so no matter how cheap the iridium conversion is it won't match the opportunity cost of not running the reactor for energy production.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Well a fusion reactor can power 122 matter fabricators simultaneously, so no matter how cheap the iridium conversion is it won't match the opportunity cost of not running the reactor for energy production.

32k eu/t = 4 matter fabs if you have single input, they accept up to 8k eu/t

It costs 2 million EU each (with a 90 million eu start up but if you stockpile mats you can effectively negate this) iridium ore in fusion

It costs 16 million EU each per UU, and 7 UU for iridium?

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Whoops, I misread "As of 2.06a the Fusionreactor received a major buff. It now outputs 1000000EU/p and the two Energyproduction-Recipes output now 16 times more Energy."

You're right, it's 4. It seams to take over 2 mil per iridium, over 1024 ticks. In the same amount of time it could produce 33 mil eu. How many UU could that make?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, GregTech needs to tie into MystCraft and make Myst portals require constant massive energy input to stay active.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Unless it has been recently changed, matter- and massfabs have a max packet size but have no effective cap on use per tick. On Forgecraft ChickenBones had an auto-building HV solar system pumping 144k EU per tick into a single massfab, and I tested the matterfab at over 100k per tick.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Unless it has been recently changed, matter- and massfabs have a max packet size but have no effective cap on use per tick. On Forgecraft ChickenBones had an auto-building HV solar system pumping 144k EU per tick into a single massfab, and I tested the matterfab at over 100k per tick.

They are supposed to only take 8k per side, but fair enough. You are still looking at 3.5x more energy per iridium though