Extra Utilities is hilariously OP and I love it

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ctate

Jul 29, 2019
So, messing with Infinity 1.7.10 on a server lately after having been away from FTB for a long time, and man. Extra Utilities is so awesome, and so deliciously OP. How much of this is the combination of ExUt with other FTB mods, and how much is basically innate?

First off, survivalist generators are crazy awesome. They cost basically nothing and are significantly more efficient than anything you care to spin up until genuine mid-stage power like non-scarce refined fuel or Big Reactors or something. This time through I didn't bother switching away from using survivalist generator farms for everything until I had ender tanks for running remote oil wells. Hand in hand with that, of course, is that drums are crazy awesome as well for dense liquid storage.

Oh yeah, drums. Extra Utilities gives us both the fastest cobblestone generator in the game [by a ton] and the bedrockium drum. That's why at this moment my strategic fuel reserve is at 30,000 buckets and climbing steadily, in a handy one-block space. :rolleyes: Transfer pipes are the best thing ever.

...well, except for maybe the ender quarry, which is admittedly quite expensive, but not once you've found an ender-lily seed or five. Lucking into a chest with those is utterly game-changing, and they're frankly not all that rare. I've found twenty so far. Is it Extra Utilities that provides the recipe for making end stone out of sandstone + resonant ender, or is that a TE/TF thing? Because ender-lilies propagate when grown on end stone, so having a recipe for it without actually having to go to The End is, um, yeah.

And once you have an ender quarry and a modest amount of power, you've got uranium/yellorium, and with the ender quarry and a Big Reactor you're basically done. About all that EU isn't going to do for you is provide a way to explore widely for cheap -- OpenBlocks hang glider is my vehicle of choice, YMMV -- and you're set for life on the mineral-resources front.

About the only thing ExUt doesn't actually address for me is blaze rods and similar non-mineral Nether resources. I love Extra Utilities. :D

Reactions: Dezz

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Once you get your supergross enderlilly farm running at a good pace, survivalist generators take a back seat to ender pearl generators. The efficiency of the survivalist generator is great to start, but it doesn't take long to eclipse the need for more than a constant 5rf/t.

I've found that a witch spawner (Witchery) on cursed earth (probably the most overpowered block in the mod) provides a near endless supply of potions to be used in a potions generator, as well as most of the ingredients to brew a boatload more if you were so inclined.

I've found the unstable ingot crafting system (from activation of the sigil onward) to be one of the most exciting crafting mechanics in all of modded Minecraft. I use them mostly on Ethereal Glass (and the new dark version which is awesome), but the builder's wand is a fantastic tool as well.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget the awesomeness of spikes. They seems like such a simple little nothing until you start realizing how great they are in mob traps and caving. And of course the beloved ender-thermic pump. It does not just work in the nether and it does not just work on lava. It is nothing short of amazing.

Also don't forget the trash can especially when used with a filter! And there are so many useful things like dark glass, black out curtains, ineffable glass, etc. XU is certainly in my top-10 favorite mods of all time.

EDIT: Forgot item transfer nodes with multiple world interaction upgrades for sucking up items at a distance even through multiple layers of reinforced obsidian. (Read wither drops)

EDIT: Also forgot compressing dirt, sand, and gravel which sure does help on space early game.

ctate

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT: Forgot item transfer nodes with multiple world interaction upgrades for sucking up items at a distance even through multiple layers of reinforced obsidian. (Read wither drops

You can stack world interaction upgrades to go through walls....?

Mother of ghod.

ctate

Jul 29, 2019
Oh boo; MFR Grinders make witches drop empty bottles instead of potions. Time for ExUt spikes... :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Oh boo; MFR Grinders make witches drop empty bottles instead of potions. Time for ExUt spikes... :p
I think witches only drop potions if they happen to be killed while drinking the potion...unlike the spikes, the MFR grinder instantly kills them so they have no opportunity to drink healing potions.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
LOL. It appears I'm not the only one in favor of ridiculous OP-ness. Balance is a term bandied about too easily by some. I play these games for fun, and being able to avoid things I don't like doing leaves me to enjoy the things I like doing, where I avoid the ridiculously-overpowered options by choice.

Having said that, I really hate the unstable ingots mechanic, as I hate anything too dependent on my hand-eye coordination. I've been consistently unable to craft anything with more than three of the darned things, and something like the Angel Wings, which needs something in all 9 slots of the crafting table is a challenge even with only one. Or was it two. At least the Builder's Want is easy.

TheSepulcher

Jul 29, 2019
LOL. It appears I'm not the only one in favor of ridiculous OP-ness. Balance is a term bandied about too easily by some. I play these games for fun, and being able to avoid things I don't like doing leaves me to enjoy the things I like doing, where I avoid the ridiculously-overpowered options by choice.

Having said that, I really hate the unstable ingots mechanic, as I hate anything too dependent on my hand-eye coordination. I've been consistently unable to craft anything with more than three of the darned things, and something like the Angel Wings, which needs something in all 9 slots of the crafting table is a challenge even with only one. Or was it two. At least the Builder's Want is easy.
Yeah. I never had the courage to craft something other than the wand with them. Specially the wings are a pain to craft so fast. I'm planning to build a explosion free room with a crafting table in the center just to craft stuff. I couls even use gold nugget recipe if it wouldnt use diamond each recipe.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
New dimension?!?
A void dimension, apparently. Nice if you want to build your own world from scratch I guess...

Yeah. I never had the courage to craft something other than the wand with them. Specially the wings are a pain to craft so fast. I'm planning to build a explosion free room with a crafting table in the center just to craft stuff. I couls even use gold nugget recipe if it wouldnt use diamond each recipe.
I'm not usually short of diamonds except in the early game. It's the hassle, rather than the expense, of repeated attempts I mind: Take off all your important equipment, store your XP somewhere, head to your blast-resistant room, attempt to craft stuff until you survive the attempt. As long as you don't, move to your emergency chest at the annoyingly standard pace, pick up a pick, make a new one just in case. go to your gravestone to get your stuff back, repeat the whole procedure.

TheSepulcher

Jul 29, 2019
A void dimension, apparently. Nice if you want to build your own world from scratch I guess...

I'm not usually short of diamonds except in the early game. It's the hassle, rather than the expense, of repeated attempts I mind: Take off all your important equipment, store your XP somewhere, head to your blast-resistant room, attempt to craft stuff until you survive the attempt. As long as you don't, move to your emergency chest at the annoyingly standard pace, pick up a pick, make a new one just in case. go to your gravestone to get your stuff back, repeat the whole procedure.
Yeah also i never needen unstable ingots it seems. I use flux-plated jetpack and flux armor. Also its other uses arent very necessary except the wand. Oh and for the diamonds im using a new method now with agricraft diamınd seeds.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
wait dimension? What is this crafting recipe you speak of? I haven't seen this... are you sure you're not trolling?

RWTema said:
Extra Utilities 1.2.3
Added Last Millenium: a preset 'void' dimension.
Added Portalto the Last Millenium
Added Eminence Stone: a decorative block
Added Ender-Sand Alloy: a decorative block
Added Reinforced Dark Glass: explosion-resistant variation of dark glass
Added config option to enable the Peaceful table in all difficulty levels

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I love ExU. Not because it's OP (because I don't necessarily agree that it is) but because its adds some REALLY nice utility items to the game! And anything you think is too OP could always be disabled. Between that an OpenBlocks (just for a couple of things) you've got some awesome functionality.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I love ExU. Not because it's OP (because I don't necessarily agree that it is) but because its adds some REALLY nice utility items to the game! And anything you think is too OP could always be disabled. Between that an OpenBlocks (just for a couple of things) you've got some awesome functionality.
I will agree with this, however, my one gripe with configs, is that I cannot disable item OR liquid transfer nodes. You either disable them both, or neither.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame