How do YOU use up large amounts of energy?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DrKnoz

Jul 29, 2019
I got to wonder.
Small introduction to my thoughts...

500 rf/tick powers a quarry.
20,000/tick a full mfr mining laser.

Those are comfortable amounts for big reactors or other setups.

Then we get to Rotarycraft.

One magnetostatic at 64MW uses about 12 k/rf per tick.
One turbo generator generates about 170,000.

In the newer Versions of Rotary/Reactorcraft those figures would be much higher, i think the conversion ratio changed. Which means that apart from powering magnetostatics, the amount of power in circulation gets even more crazy.

IC2E: Matter fabrication and replicating ? Some form of teleporters ? Terraforming ?

I sure as hell do not need more mining, just comissioned 3 more full sets of mfr mining lasers after the Reactorcraft power plant went operational.

giesergast

Jul 29, 2019
uuuh ender quarry max speed upgrade and fortune upgrade thats my power sink right know takes so so much energy but so so miuch recources

DrKnoz

Jul 29, 2019
Wahahahahaha, that is so overkill, i love it.
15 x 11.5k = 172,000
Okay, you need roughly one turbo generator on a regular water vapor turbine. In other words, my base could power that. Total generating Capacity around 200,000.

I have one extractor running on 6000/tick with a Computer controlled CVT.
Fast enough for me. Certainly processes faster than i can mine, or more importantly - use the stuff.

And that is exactly my problem. Yes, i could add banks and banks of the same machines. But all that does is add lag(i am really pushing my computer already) and do stuff better which is already working great and needs no improvement. The only thing i could use is more smelting, i may add a bank of high speed smelting machinery in the future because even the mighty IC2 induction furnace is at a loss when it comes to dealinng with extractors on full power. But even if i use RC friction heating i would, at most, need 12krft/t for that.

I am looking for something entirely new. I guess i will just try out every endgame machine that seems to be useful.

Reactions: giesergast

DrKnoz

Jul 29, 2019
Found one - MFR Oil fabricators. Uses a lot of energy, not sure how much, almost seems as if it simply uses as much as it can get. On a redstone energy conduit it can keep up with and outproduce 3 buildcraft refineries. Not sure why i would need that, i still have 20 drums of oil from a well and i will most likely never need any kind of fuel powered engine again - but with a fuel enhancer this is certainly the golden road to lots and lots of rotarycraft jet fuel. I have enough of that too, but nice to know if a seed has no wells in the area.
Might also be useful in newer versions of rotarycraft which have an arbitrary lubricant need for all sorts of machines but do offer an oil - lubrican distiller, iirc.

Last edited:

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
I spend it filling the electrocraft rf batteries, then break them with a pick when they are full :D

ironclaw2000

Jul 29, 2019
My planned ore processing system involves FIFTEEN Rotarycraft extractors, all with sufficient power (and CVTs flickering between speed and torque mode) to 1-tick an entire stack of ore at each stage.

This will take...a respectable amount of power.

How do you intend to even acquire that many ores? My setup uses ONE extractor, powered by a gas turbine and flickering CVTs, and my bottleneck is my ore smelting. Even if I upgraded my quarry to speed 3, I doubt I'd need that many extractors...

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
How do you intend to even acquire that many ores? My setup uses ONE extractor, powered by a gas turbine and flickering CVTs, and my bottleneck is my ore smelting. Even if I upgraded my quarry to speed 3, I doubt I'd need that many extractors...

Er, multiple quarries scattered across the known universe.

It's like mining but more epic.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I just set up my power gen so it turns off when my storage is full.

I'll get back to you next year when my top-tier Draconic Evolution energy storage is full :p

Reactions: Gamefury64

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
I would spend it giving free energy to my server, since I didn't know a fusion reactor with high pressure turbines would but so much power out, If I played on a server.

Reactions: Master_Builder_800

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
My planned ore processing system involves FIFTEEN Rotarycraft extractors, all with sufficient power (and CVTs flickering between speed and torque mode) to 1-tick an entire stack of ore at each stage.

This will take...a respectable amount of power.
It takes 16MW to 1-tick an extractor if alternating and 268MW if running all four stages at one tick each. Enjoy. :D

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
It takes 16MW to 1-tick an extractor if alternating and 268MW if running all four stages at one tick each. Enjoy. :D

Hmmm, that's a bit lower than I thought...

Bit of rough head maths, thinking about the output of an HP turbine...

OK, EIGHT THOUSAND Extractors going at full speed :D

DrKnoz

Jul 29, 2019
Lmao. This is getting crazy - real fast. We need an Energy -> Antimatter converter. And starship enterprise to use that for something productive other than big xplosions.

I just *had* to tear down 90% of the machinery in our main building because i decided that it was messy, very lag inducing and less than ideal in its current setup.

Once that is fixed i will try to come up with something. Replication is high on the list. I always hate the idea of using forced mob spawners to grind mobs. It is so World of Warcraft esque and i am really done with that game, have been for a long time.

Replicating OTOH sounds great a) Star trek fan here, not the avid con going level of fandom though, b) Can do any resource and not just one.

midgetassin

Jul 29, 2019
Wahahahahaha, that is so overkill, i love it.
15 x 11.5k = 172,000
Okay, you need roughly one turbo generator on a regular water vapor turbine. In other words, my base could power that. Total generating Capacity around 200,000.

I have one extractor running on 6000/tick with a Computer controlled CVT.
Fast enough for me. Certainly processes faster than i can mine, or more importantly - use the stuff.

And that is exactly my problem. Yes, i could add banks and banks of the same machines. But all that does is add lag(i am really pushing my computer already) and do stuff better which is already working great and needs no improvement. The only thing i could use is more smelting, i may add a bank of high speed smelting machinery in the future because even the mighty IC2 induction furnace is at a loss when it comes to dealinng with extractors on full power. But even if i use RC friction heating i would, at most, need 12krft/t for that.

I am looking for something entirely new. I guess i will just try out every endgame machine that seems to be useful.
Dont use the induction smelter use a regular one but with a ton of overclockers

DrKnoz

Jul 29, 2019
Dont use the induction smelter use a regular one but with a ton of overclockers
The thought had crossed my mind.....but still not decided.
It IS the fastest method - but insanely inefficient. I may set up one for private use, but 10 induction furnaces for the main ore line would be more efficient. Id rather have 750rf/t constant load on my system than some nutty 22k/tick load cycling on and off.

Very good thread on the topic :
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/smelting-stuff-fast-a-comparison.46528/