How do YOU use up large amounts of energy?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Again, configs.
I am getting very sick of people complaining about things fixable with sixty seconds in a text editor.
So the power conversation rate is adjustable? OK I didn't know that. Sorry for posting from an uninformed position.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It's been my experience that the chance of actually quintupling ore is low enough for the things I want to quintuple, that it's not worth my effort. It's just easier to run quarries which is more opportunity for trains. With a bit of fire, and some water, RoC provides infinite power via steam engine. Run that into a Rotational Dynamo (or twenty) and the power is infinite. It makes much cooler looking power than even Buildcraft can provide.

As for using it, eventually the automated ore production requires further upscaling. If I need more power, I pump steam through a turbine. And since steam is steam, I can use a Railcraft boiler and run it through an RoC turbine, or Big Reactors one, and produce all the power I need for any application I require, all from the RoC tree farm.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Unless I'm somewhat out of date ReC steam is an entity, not a fluid-type thingy like railcraft/bigreactors etc steam, so you can't transfer one into the other.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Not the conversion rate, but the loss on the shaft-to-RF/EU/etc converters, and setting the loss to 100% disables them entirely.
So the problem remains: the point where any other RF mod's power generation is made pointless by RoC now comes at a tenth of the power output required for it before. It is no longer an end-game phenomenon where it isn't a problem. I'd say something is seriously wrong when the output of a gas turbine equals that of a rather big Big Reactor. A comparison: if 268MW equals 516KRF/t, then a gas turbine (if the old numbers are still valid) now outputs the equivalent of 129 KRF/t. The Big Reactor I built in Agrarian Skies had dimensions of 15x15x7, and its eight 9x9x16 turbines generated a total of about 200 KRF/t.

Yes, I say something is seriously wrong here.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
So the problem remains: the point where any other RF mod's power generation is made pointless by RoC now comes at a tenth of the power output required for it before. It is no longer an end-game phenomenon where it isn't a problem. I'd say something is seriously wrong when the output of a gas turbine equals that of a rather big Big Reactor. A comparison: if 268MW equals 516KRF/t, then a gas turbine (if the old numbers are still valid) now outputs the equivalent of 129 kRF/t. The Big Reactor I built in Agrarian Skies had dimensions of 15x15x7, and its eight 9x9x16 turbines generated a total of about 200 KRF/t.

Yes, I say something is seriously wrong here.
...You completely misunderstood my post.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The config allows you to effectively reduce the ratio for the to-RF converters and even disable them entirely.
While the from-RF ratio remains unchangeable? So that power import remains economically unfeasible regardless of whether I have put the significant (I gather) effort in to develop the technology? This solves the "OP" problem of course, but I am reminded of what I just said in the other thread about consistency.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
While the from-RF ratio remains unchangeable? So that power import remains economically unfeasible regardless of whether I have put the significant (I gather) effort in to develop the technology? This solves the "OP" problem of course, but I am reminded of what I just said in the other thread about consistency.
?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
At the risk of being flamed for backseat moderation, I kindly ask the ReC-RF conversion debate to get its own thread. It is a relevant debate, but not relevant to the spending of RF (as is the point if the original post).

On topic, I've begun to dump excess power into RFTools dimensions. I see great potential here.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Two points:
(1) Power conversion rates that are radically different in one direction compared to the other. Perhaps that's not exactly unheard-of in the real world, but it all depends on the numbers, right? A factor of ten - which would restore some semblance of balance from my POV - is rather extreme.
(2) It takes a 15x15x7 Big Reactor actively cooled with eight maximum-size turbines to achieve an energy output of the same order of magnitude as a single RoC gas turbine. In other words, with the new conversion rate of imported power, you will need a reactor of similar size (and built-in resources) to run an extractor at 67MW from converted RF power.

For a mod that's built on realism, you take quite the break from it here.

@lnaeo:
Sorry, saw your post too late. If I see a point in further debating this, I'll start a separate thread, but Reika has never seen fit to acceept any of my points as valid. I might as well stop here.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I will stop as well after saying this:

(2) It takes a 15x15x7 Big Reactor actively cooled with eight maximum-size turbines to achieve an energy output of the same order of magnitude as a single RoC gas turbine. In other words, with the new conversion rate of imported power, you will need a reactor of similar size (and built-in resources) to run an extractor at 67MW from converted RF power.

For a mod that's built on realism, you take quite the break from it here.
You cannot honestly use BigReactors as a defining anchor point for realism.

Reactions: Dezz and Type1Ninja

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I will stop as well after saying this:

You cannot honestly use BigReactors as a defining anchor point for realism.
Not for a realistic machine, of course not. But consider, as a measuring stick, the relative power of that Big Reactor in its normal, non-RoC environment. 129 KRF/t is more than most players *ever* need, even if they run several high-power sets of machinery. Import it into RoC, and it's just enough to emulate a gas turbine. I recall that in my old 1.6.4 world, two Mekanism Elite Factories could handle the output of the RoC Extractor at 67MW. So I consider these machines comparable in their operation speed. Fully upgraded they don't take in more than 1 KRF/t each. Let's put in a factor of five for good measure as the Extractor does more with each piece of ore and the non-RoC world would need several more Elite Factories to complete the Extractor's job, and you still land at 10KRF/t. In other words, the non-RoC world does with 10 KRF/t what the Extractor does with 67 MW. The old conversion rate would convert 67 MW to 12.9 KRF/t. Very good. However, NOW you say that 67 MW equals 129 KRF/t. I maintain that something is seriously wrong here. This is *anything* but balanced.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
The old conversion ratio was derived from MJ. Now that that's not a thing anymore, he reevaluated the ratios based on RF.
You can see the power creep happening here, the output of Buildcraft engines did not change at all but now their output is pretty small compared to other mods.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm always annoyed how people get upset over a zero.
Lol, it's just an order of magnitude... XD
I guess for power gen, this is my ideal progression:
1. A single Steam Dynamo for *very* early game
2. Build lots of Solar Panels (from Solar Flux - I'd like to try RF Windmills as well) to slowly build power; use Steam Dynamo as backup
3. Build Oil Pump + Refineries + Compression Dynamo for mid-game power - think about the time you get a quarry (though that's probably earlier for me, as in my pack I have edited the quarry's recipe to be just 3 diamonds...)
4. Big Reactors for Infinity and Beyond!

I don't really like XU generators; being able to generate buttloads of RF from excess crap seems uncreative to me... In fact, a lot of XU stuff bugs me for that reason. That's why I'm not playing with it XD

Reactions: giesergast

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
The only XU generator I use is the survivalist Gen for powering quarries. The rest are either too expensive, or too fiddly to run. I've always used lots of steam. Hobbyist engines, then more advanced ones. I used to use IC2 solar, and convert it with the forestry engines, but it's too much hassle to do anything with IC2 anymore.