Whats your base designs??

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

George Duggan

Jul 29, 2019
Well the title says it all. Whats your base designs. mine is usally a building with 4 9x9 with a basement (4)
1) basement with my power source big reactors
2) mob farm
3) thaumcraft
4) botania
i dont have any photos of my base.

feel free to stick photos in the comments and tell us about your designs.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Well the title says it all. Whats your base designs. mine is usally a building with 4 9x9 with a basement (4)
1) basement with my power source big reactors
2) mob farm
3) thaumcraft
4) botania
i dont have any photos of my base.

feel free to stick photos in the comments and tell us about your designs.
I tend to dig a hole in the wall of a cliff the first night. I place all of my tinker's and storage stuff in there. Then I sort of sprawl out with my machinery, just placing stuff outside in long lines with power cables running under them. If I'm playing w/ friends, sometimes they make my stuff less messy - they built a skyscraper once, and I ran cables up the corners. That actually worked really well. Another time, they dug a sort of giant room behind my starting hole, and then we put glowstone in it, alongside our tinker's smeltery, and then had great big rooms branching off. There was a farm area, a big reactor room, a machines room... It was pretty cool. I wish I was creative enough to do that sort of thing on my own. :p

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use other dimensions rather than infinitely expanding a cave.
Remember, I have no creativity! XD
I do actually try to make something cool when I get to the moon (Galacticraft), though. I use lots of Chisel Blocks, Drawbridges from TMechworks, and then I make domes. Yay for biodomes!

George Duggan

Jul 29, 2019
haha, once in awhile i make a void mystcraft world and build a massive base their and relocate half of my builds over their

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
usually I build in a few different styles. medieval and futuristic stuff. i tend to build little towns with several themed buildings, but underground living is fun as well.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I have either a dirty mind or a creative subconscious, because no matter what happens part of my base -without fail- ends up slightly phallic.

That aside, certainly aiming for an organised machine room is the way to go- set all your wires and pipes into proper positions makes tinkering and expanding a lot easier later on. (you'll be surprised what a difference that makes, as long as its tidy it'll look decent even if it resembles an octopus playing the bagpipes)

Reactions: pizzawolf14

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I have either a dirty mind or a creative subconscious, because no matter what happens part of my base -without fail- ends up slightly phallic.

That aside, certainly aiming for an organised machine room is the way to go- set all your wires and pipes into proper positions makes tinkering and expanding a lot easier later on. (you'll be surprised what a difference that makes, as long as its tidy it'll look decent even if it resembles an octopus playing the bagpipes)
I know what you mean, man. It revolves around where your storage is, relative to the stuff you haven't automated. Keep your production lines OUT of manual-machine room. Skyscrapers are actually really good for that - have a floor for everything, and - if possible - place a crafting terminal on every floor. The whole underground cavern thing is pretty cool; if your rooms are set up well, it's really useful.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
The problem with building a skyscraper and putting all your automated processes on the upper floors is you basically have a huge ton of lag-inducing things going on in the same chunk.

Towers look great, though :)

Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The problem with building a skyscraper and putting all your automated processes on the upper floors is you basically have a huge ton of lag-inducing things going on in the same chunk.

Towers look great, though :)
Yeah they are ok if you just set up a few mods and then move on to a new world. But if you are interested in more long term commitment and higher complexity/quantity of automation then towers with everything cramped into floors stacked op top of each other is a big no-no.
Even keeping all your stuff in one base site will be problematic. You will probably want to make multiple bases far enough away from each other to be out of rendering range.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I really like the town style of base. One big house for me, with a bunch of buildings containing all the things I want to build. Before I lost my monster world. I had that. A huge multi-story house, a building for Railcraft, a building for my personal train, and a Thaumcraft Tower. Most of it took advantage of spawn chunk loading though, but even so, the lag wasn't excessive. (Mostly a lack of system strength.)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Towns are more of a mid-game thing for me, before I can reliably afford quantum links.

And some structures are just ugly no matter what you do.

Long term I segregate everything that runs without any attention from me into its' own custom mystcraft dimension, hook it up to the central brain with a quantum singularity and forget about it.

Actually I'm looking forward to the dimension thingy in RFtools as a possible techy replacement, but we'll see how that goes.

But yeah, some things I keep on hand due to being too bloody indolent to automate them fully and them looking quite nice in my courtyard. Infusion altar, my main Blood altar (only used for random things, slate production is in yet another mystcraft age with the well of suffering), my greenhouse (because the automation is a bit untidy and seeds keep backing everything up) etc etc. All Colin's automated processing is done in yet another Age.

Somehow I find it helps my framerate :)

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
To solve the "cramped"-ness within a skyscraper when you try to start automating stuff, you can just use the floors for manual stuff. Dig a deep hole underneath the tower, and put your automated stuff there. Or, dig a deep hole somewhere outside rendering distance and put your automated stuff there.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I find I don't like Mystcraft dimensions any more, because no one does anything creative. It's all void world after void world. Infinite possible combinations of... nope VOID world. I understand the reasons, I really do, but it just ends up feeling... boring. Like going to a buffet and having a glass of water.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I find I don't like Mystcraft dimensions any more, because no one does anything creative. It's all void world after void world. Infinite possible combinations of... nope VOID world. I understand the reasons, I really do, but it just ends up feeling... boring. Like going to a buffet and having a glass of water.
Dont be too harsh. At least they are doing something more than flattening the interesting terrain to make room for 9x9's...

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Dont be too harsh. At least they are doing something more than flattening the interesting terrain to make room for 9x9's...
Is it okay if I build an evil corporate lair out of Chisel blocks and lava, and build it into a mountain? I'm still waiting for the mod that lets me just summon lightning strikes.
(Redstone Armory has an RF axe that does that, but when you stick it in an autonomous activator the lightning's graphics don't show. :()

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Is it okay if I build an evil corporate lair out of Chisel blocks and lava, and build it into a mountain? I'm still waiting for the mod that lets me just summon lightning strikes.
(Redstone Armory has an RF axe that does that, but when you stick it in an autonomous activator the lightning's graphics don't show. :()

Build it in a Charged Mystcraft age? Make Lightning Rods from IC2 (I think)? Automate creation and destruction of Twilight Forest portals (probably not a good idea actually, but it would be lightning)? There are ways to do nearly anything if you're willing to ignore the intended uses and wield effects for effects purposes.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Build it in a Charged Mystcraft age? Make Lightning Rods from IC2 (I think)? Automate creation and destruction of Twilight Forest portals (probably not a good idea actually, but it would be lightning)? There are ways to do nearly anything if you're willing to ignore the intended uses and wield effects for effects purposes.
I literally don't have any of those mods. :p
I made an RF centered (no IC2), tech-based (no Twilight Forest or Mystcraft) modpack. It's called colony and I enjoy it. :p
//Shameless Self-Plug

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I literally don't have any of those mods. :p
I made an RF centered (no IC2), tech-based (no Twilight Forest or Mystcraft) modpack. It's called colony and I enjoy it. :p
//Shameless Self-Plug
Forestry Extra bees? Exited bees produce lightning strikes near their hive.