An idea to prevent Nether lava exploitation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Somebody may have come up with this already, but it's new to me. The idea is pretty simple:

Make pumps overheat if they are pumping lava. Require water cooling.

Now that last part is the tricky part, since people are clever. Obviously cans won't work, since that's just another ender chest waiting to happen. And you can't require the water to be pumped in (all you'd need is a liquid transposer). So I'd suggest that, if pumping lava, the pump must be adjacent to at least one water source block.

Done! Right? What did I miss?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't agree with the premise of this thread that the pump > liquid transposer > ender chest setup that is so common these days is a problem, then this whole thread is pointless. I do happen to agree with that premise.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
I think nether lava is a personal preference thing. If you don't like it, don't use it. If you don't like others using it on your server, then make it against server rules. Otherwise you don't need to "fix" it for the rest of the world.

I don't use it, but that's my choice. Lava is already receiving a couple nerfs with the next update. Gregtech is reducing yields from centrifuging it and magma crucibles are going to melt netherack at the same cost as cobblestone.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
The thread you quoted talks about the server lag caused by excessive flowing liquid blocks. I can agree that the server lag caused by excessive flowing liquid blocks is a problem, without agreeing that the solution is to make pumping lava from the Nether effectively impossible. A better solution would be finding a way to prevent this lag while still allowing the functionality of the pumps.

In terms of critiquing your solution, it won't work out. XyCraft, part of both major modpacks, is adding a solid block that functions like a water source block and can be used in the Nether.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
To clarify: I mean "exploitation" in the sense that the Brazilian rain forest is being exploited, not so much the video game definition of "exploit."

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm a strong beliver that using Lava as a liquid fuel source should be nuked.

Instead, change Geothermal power generation to be more "realistic" by having a something like a pump that goes into lava, heats up the main block, which can then produce steam (if supplied with lava), which in turn can control the engines.

Over time, the lava blocks within the radius of the pump head will cool down, and turn into "cracked obsidian". Since there are then less lava source blocks, there's less heat, so eventually the geothermal machine will need to be moved.
Cracked Obsidian can then be harvested, and if crushed up, have a slim chance of producing ore dusts.

This would really help servers, as there would be no flowing lava and less entities if using a canning system.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
You missed UU-matter -> water source block or RP2 pumps (pumping water, overall RP2 has quite a few exploits).

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't agree with the premise of this thread that the pump > liquid transposer > ender chest setup that is so common these days is a problem, then this whole thread is pointless. I do happen to agree with that premise.

Then don't do it. :) Lava in FTB is for power consumption.. No such thing as an exploit if your using it for what it is meant for.

If we are going to start saying exploits the whole Feed The Beast, and its mods are a exploit of vanilla minecraft.

But again, there are a lot of things you can exploit or not (if thats what you want to call it) in Feed The Beast.. Using lava is not one of them.. Since thats what it is for.

And there are many ways of getting lava... Not just through pumps.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I think nether pumping is no more common than people using biofuel systems or blaze rod powered steam boilers at this point, honestly I think nether pumping is losing popularity to other power systems. Adding a new arbatrary mechanic like that just causes more lag as it has to check for if it is pumping lava and then of there is a water source block next to it before it pumps anything everytime it tries to pump something. The idea is no better then saying you can't use the pump in the nether because we said so.

Malkuth

Jul 29, 2019
I think nether pumping is no more common than people using biofuel systems or blaze rod powered steam boilers at this point, honestly I think nether pumping is losing popularity to other power systems. Adding a new arbatrary mechanic like that just causes more lag as it has to check for if it is pumping lava and then of there is a water source block next to it before it pumps anything everytime it tries to pump something. The idea is no better then saying you can't use the pump in the nether because we said so.

Well to be honest. Once people realize that the new Forestry Tree Farms give out about 3 times more Saplings then the old systemmm... Biomass will become the newest thing.. Since you get more bang for the buck with biomass anyway MJ wise.

And More apples to boot, to boost it with apple juice.. Lava will become a novality.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Biomass is already likely to be the new thing, as it is what Direwolf20 most recently built. You'll notice that all the concerns about nether lava pumping didn't start until he showed the system on one of his LPs, despite it being possible since Mystcraft first became forge compatible.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a strong beliver that using Lava as a liquid fuel source should be nuked.

Instead, change Geothermal power generation to be more "realistic" by having a something like a pump that goes into lava, heats up the main block, which can then produce steam (if supplied with lava), which in turn can control the engines.

Over time, the lava blocks within the radius of the pump head will cool down, and turn into "cracked obsidian". Since there are then less lava source blocks, there's less heat, so eventually the geothermal machine will need to be moved.
Cracked Obsidian can then be harvested, and if crushed up, have a slim chance of producing ore dusts.

This would really help servers, as there would be no flowing lava and less entities if using a canning system.

I like your suggestion. Geothermal and Thermal generators should be a little more creative instead of converting molten hot rock into electricity through magic. If it required water and worked like a steam engine, that would make more sense. Even regular generators should require this, burning coal or wood doesn't magically create electricity.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019

My current power plans are one of each.. (Lava, BioFuel, Rods) what I'll do with the almost 400 MJ and 400EU I've no idea (yet) :)

Considering my spawn in the nether already has so much flowing lava its unbearable I just place my pumps there amongst that mess.

Now, to fix a mountain of flowing water blocks that will not reset.. that't the bigger issue for my current base.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I like your suggestion. Geothermal and Thermal generators should be a little more creative instead of converting molten hot rock into electricity through magic. If it required water and worked like a steam engine, that would make more sense. Even regular generators should require this, burning coal or wood doesn't magically create electricity.

Following that line of thought, there is sort of a method for that available. Only allow yourself IC2 power through Railcraft Steam Turbines, and switch the Nuclear Reactor to the steam setting. You'll need to leave generators enable to be able to build reactors and solars, though. Or you could disable Generators entirely, removing reactors from the options. I wonder if anyone would be interested in a server with that kind of rule set...

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Lava is the path of least resistance in both power systems.

Magmatic engines got a little more expensive, so it won't be your first engine.

Geothermal generators are dirt cheap and could be your first EU generator.

Ideally the engines and the generator would be available at about the same time. Then how you exploit the nether becomes a choice at midgame -- take the lava or take the netherack. Both are roughly equal.

Early game lava into geo thermals is way better than anything else you could setup.

Reactions: ICYoshi