Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
3f151d3bd4970188875352d04eaa37df.jpg

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Hyped? No. To be hyped requires me to know what it is first. What I *am* is highly curious as to the nature of said modpack.
Guns and stuffs. Planes, helicopters, raid gear... it's got mods to act kind of like a team FPS game, while building off of some of the "standard" Minecraft mods as well like TE and TiC.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I'm somewhat skeptical as to how one designs a PvP game [modpack] using a base that was never designed for, and is generally pretty bad at PvP.
(so it'll be worth checking out- we might learn something)
Sounds like they took the Fly Boys Pack from BDoubleO100 and fixed noticeable errors.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I'm somewhat skeptical as to how one designs a PvP game [modpack] using a base that was never designed for, and is generally pretty bad at PvP.
(so it'll be worth checking out- we might learn something)

Throw a bunch of guns and weapons into it along with some tanks and other machines that can't even drive over most of the terrain and let them blow the hell out of each other.

Reactions: RedBoss

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Standard disclaimer about my opinions not being representative of those of any team I am part of.
people get fired for way less.
I don't care about what else you said, I have to take issues with this.
No matter what a modder does, if it is in their code, it is their right to do so. Their code is their IP, and they have control over what happens to it.
In addition, modding is a hobby. Not a job. They aren't being paid. Stop acting like you're the customer, because you aren't. You aren't paying modders for modding, except if you support them via Patreon, but even then it's a donation. Modding is not a job, and you aren't paying them. Even if you actually aren't as entitled as you come across, this applies to pretty much everyone who's being entitled. You aren't paying the modders and modding isn't a job; stop complaining.

Also my apologies if someone feels insulted as a result of this, it was unintentional.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Bravo, slow clap etc... However this is not the thread to respond to this on, as in at all... Ever. It's not news(where the discussion was rightly shut down) and it's certainly not a "Recent Event"
It was suggested that this be REDthreaded. This is (not really recent but whatever) an event, in which Reika put the update banner in. It's been a consistent (if slow) drama war since the implementation. I suppose we *could* get a drama megathread, but that's not really a good idea.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
It was suggested that this be REDthreaded. This is (not really recent but whatever) an event, in which Reika put the update banner in. It's been a consistent (if slow) drama war since the implementation. I suppose we *could* get a drama megathread, but that's not really a good idea.

Hahahaha that's a truly horrible(yet entertaining) idea.

Reactions: RedBoss and gold49

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Bravo, slow clap etc... However this is not the thread to respond to this on, as in at all... Ever. It's not news(where the discussion was rightly shut down) and it's certainly not a "Recent Event"

Actually take a look at the original post;
The [news] thread has functioned quite well as a means of providing people with news almost as soon as it happens but people often wish to discuss said popular news. Discussion clutters the thread quite a lot and takes away from the news aspect of it; this has been happening more frequently recently.

Discussion is not a bad thing; discussion is a key part to a community. This subforum even includes the word with the title. To encourage respectful discussion I have created this thread to be used alongside the news thread for discussing recent happenings and events.
This is not meant to take away from the other thread and it should definitely remain the place to post news info. If you feel that whatever is being posted is worth discussing please feel free to link it here or quote it.

We are actually using this thread as intended for once.

Yes it is hard to ignore. A banner ALWAYS active and scrolling taking away a part of MY screen is really hard to ignore. And there is no config to remove it. Just to delay it or ignore until next version is released.
Totally different from a message that appear on you chat when you start the game and it disappears after a few seconds, usually while your world is still loading, so you dont even notice it. And that can be disabled in the configs. Permanently!

This came up a while ago [either this thread, or off topic in the 'idiotic things' thread].
I can't recite them from memory, but Reika explained -quite clearly- why there is a persistent notification, and why it can't 'simply' be turned off.
Though given its been a fair while since that discussion, and since it was implemented- the question remains is 'does it work, and is it an effective/efficient solution?'

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
I do think that designing a feature to deliberately be annoying is a bad idea.
Sure, were not his customers, we didn't pay for anything and Reika doesn't owe us anything. But that doesn't mean that we have to put up with anything that is designed to nag us.
Even if it's his property, he should always keep the people in mind who are going to use it thousand-fold. Note that this doesn't have to mean catering all their wishes.

I do appreciate it that he promised to improve it next update. I hope he finds the right balance.