So, Thaumcraft 4.2 node bullying

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Echo the above sentiments, lotsa nodes on stabilisers for wand recharging and a super node for the centi-vis.

Be warned, bullying is really really slow with the 7x7x7 method. You can also just put a crap ton of nodes close by each other and hope for the best(great method if you have a teleposer and don't mind "cheating").

One more thing when energising a node a primal aspect is square rooted and rounded down to get it's centi-vis value, compound aspects give 100% of their primals. If you have primals and compounds, whatever will give the highest centi-vis is chosen.

For a super node this gives you 2 options:

1. 7x7x7 with big primal nodes and leave it a long time(intended use with "node in a jar")
2. Tons of compound nodes all piled around each other and see what happens("cheating" system with teleposers)

nodes on stabilizers take longer to recharge. If you space them out properly you can get SIXTY FOUR nodes in range of a recharge pedestal. So you really don't need to mess about with stabilizers or wasting nodes growing bigger nodes if charging your wands and staves is what you are after.

node bullying using the 7x7x7 method should be no slower than any other method. Especially as there is no danger that the contributing nodes can be fully drained. ... Allthough if node bully events are more frequent for closer nodes there could be some merit. But then you'd be wasting so much node capacity as they all bullied each other...

If you want a proper super node, nothing beats building a protective shell around a hungry node and building infrastructure to feed it crafting tables.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
May be worth mentioning that in very recent versions of Thaumcraft 4, there is a Vis Charge Relay, which can be placed on the Arcane Worktable and actually WILL charge a wand using centivis from an Energized Node - Direwolf20's recent Let's Play series has details.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
May be worth mentioning that in very recent versions of Thaumcraft 4, there is a Vis Charge Relay, which can be placed on the Arcane Worktable and actually WILL charge a wand using centivis from an Energized Node - Direwolf20's recent Let's Play series has details.

No thaumaturgist worth their salt would be caught using a wand once staves are available :p

There are also amulets that can recharge items (such as wands or staves) in your inventory, and the amulets can recharge from a cv network. But the recharge range is extremely low making this less convenient than one might hope.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Sure, cos a staff fits in an arcane worktable.... oh wait we have scepters for that.

Also I don't think there is a staff equivelent to the KAMI wand, so it's still the highest capacity wand focus user.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

ParAdoX83

Jul 29, 2019
Well I stick with my prior statement, if u find a hungry node and got a small treefarm to feed it crafting tables, u will be WAY faster getting it to super node size than with any other method :>
plus u can use it for auto chargin in arcane worktables plus foci manipulator and and and

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Been watching discussion about feeding hungry nodes with crafting tables with interest. Is there any sort of limit I should avoid going beyond, say... Is it possible for me to crash or corrupt my world by making a node too large? :p

ParAdoX83

Jul 29, 2019
in my old world i made a very huge node (over 3600 per primal aspect) and it didnt crash, dunno if it happens at higher levels though

EDIT: u probably dont want it as huge though. it was just for fun and is way beyond what vis consumers can handle (10 cV/t for most afaik). plus it is very annoying too have such a huge node in ur base due to the "aura" the node will have.

Reactions: CuriousKey

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
in my old world i made a very huge node (over 3600 per primal aspect) and it didnt crash, dunno if it happens at higher levels though
I just wouldn't wanna risk making something that crashes as soon as it loads, because I have no clue how I'd remove it to save my world :p

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Been watching discussion about feeding hungry nodes with crafting tables with interest. Is there any sort of limit I should avoid going beyond, say... Is it possible for me to crash or corrupt my world by making a node too large? :p

just make sure to keep your distance, along with your setup, better to be safe than sorry.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft has never caused me that sort of problem. Just go for it, it will be fine. Last time I did it, my energized node was all 12s and I think the aspects were around 300 pre-energization. or was it 600? Just keep feeding it til you cant stand waiting any longer.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft has never caused me that sort of problem. Just go for it, it will be fine. Last time I did it, my energized node was all 12s and I think the aspects were around 300 pre-energization. or was it 600? Just keep feeding it til you cant stand waiting any longer.

I just find it entertaining to push the limits of these systems. :p But at the same time... I like to be safe with my worlds. I'm not talking about making a node as large as I'll need. I just want to see what happens to a hungry node when it gets far larger than any node should be. :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

Making my ME network craft crafting benches and export them into a contraption that drops them onto a captive hungry node is something that's on my to-do list.

Imma see how horribly I can screw up an entire dimension, so i'm going to do it in a mystcraft age

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
The growth slows down once you get way up there. Unless you drain the node before feeding it. Next time I find one, im going to feed it mobs mwahahahaaa.

CuriousKey

Jul 29, 2019
Making my ME network craft crafting benches and export them into a contraption that drops them onto a captive hungry node is something that's on my to-do list.

Imma see how horribly I can screw up an entire dimension, so i'm going to do it in a mystcraft age

This... and this

The growth slows down once you get way up there. Unless you drain the node before feeding it. Next time I find one, im going to feed it mobs mwahahahaaa.

Are very good ideas, and maybe they belong together. :p Hmmm... Dimension nuking with hungry nodes. This concepts pleases me. It pleases me alot.

darknighht257

Jul 29, 2019
I made one super node for converting it to an energized node, which gives centivis. I also have a group of nodes for a wand recharge station each with a stabilizer so they don't bully each other. You can go with one super node for everything, but you currently can't charge staves using the CV wand charger.
you kind of can if you get the amulet and hold the staff in your hand, the amulet will recharge when your around you energized node and in turn the amulet will charge your staff

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
I wish there was a stabilizer that would actually prevent nodes from bullying others, this way it'd be more efficient to merging nodes.
you'd place the primal node in the center with a dominant stabilizer and the smaller nodes around it on recessive stabilizers. the smaller nodes can give vis to the dominant node, but they can't pull vis from other nearby nodes.
That sounds suspiciously like Botania sparks :p

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
I've done a lot of messing around with node merging in the last couple of weeks (been playing a lot of Mage Quest and Regrowth) and I've found a couple of idiosyncrasies with the process.

First off, the closer nodes are to each other, the more often they interact. Two nodes two spaces away from each other will interact more often than two nodes at maximum distance from each other. Secondly, it appears that the bully node can gain a point of an aspect without draining that point from the donor node. I'm not exactly positive how this works, but I believe it's draining the bonus aspects that are granted by placing crystal clusters around the donor node.

I like to use the 7x7 pattern lay out (5 nodes, with the bully in the center) combined with Automagy to drain all of the aspect points from the donors.

What I do is pretty simple: I put a remote comparator on top of a vis reader. I set that vis reader to output "Any Low" of the nodes aspect. This will generate a signal from 15 (full) to 0 (empty). I then place a piece of dense red crystal between the vis reader and the node stabilizer. Since the node stabilizer will retract it's shield when a redstone signal is applied, I set the dense red crystal to block any strength signal except for the 15.

This means that if the node's lowest aspect is reading full strength it will pass through the dense red crystal and the signal will hit the stabilizer and the shield will go down allowing for it to be drained.

This process can take a VERY long time, but you will get every single point of vis from the donor nodes into the bully this way.