FTB News - April 10th, 2015

What is your favourite 1.7.10 FTB modpack?

• Infinity

• Direwolf20 1.7.10

• Lite 3

• Resurrection

• Mage Quest

Results are only viewable after voting.

d3w10n

Oct 9, 2014
Hey, I voted for it! :D On my poor low powered computer, it runs great - and I've even been able to add a few mods to it without it taking a massive hit on fps! For that alone it has a special place in my heart ;)

When I started playing FTB, I had 2GB ram notebook with some crappy CPU... now I have i7 beast with 16GB of RAM, but I still prefer FTB Lite... the balance between complexity, decent amount of options and great power scale I something I found very fulfilling during gameplay... For instance, FTB Monster and similars had insane power jumps from start in which you could (based on your mods knowledge) obtain endgame power items in less than 1 hours of gameplay... Also if you prefer multiplayer, its easy to set up server and invite your low-end PC friends :D

d3w10n

Oct 9, 2014
I remember those days where people made modpack as a Hobby, making awesome packs for the benefit of the community... Rather then thinking of modpacks as a source of revenue and fame....

Revenue? Fame? Haha mate you are off your rocker... Now in RL I do run company and equation time=money is probably one of the truest regarding society development or any work environment. FTB team haven't failed us before, they did deliver a very good modpacks, and this is all for free! Yes they maybe take some ad revenue from Curse but you can bet your ass its a pissweak amounts. And trust me, java programmers and developers are not cheap on hourly rate. Now pouring in money in any business model if anything else increases the quality of that product, so when I was annoyed that FTB doesn't have some better donation model (like HIB model) it was not because of kindness of my heart, its because I understand most basic economy. Problem is, current Minecraft situation is a missed opportunity because it had very versatile potential, I mean in my neighborhood is a 10yo kid that understands the basics of nuclear energy and quantum computing thanks to Minecraft and mods. This game had way bigger potential than being a timewaste for all of us nolife procrastinators, but it kinda wittered away with Microsoft acquisition of this game (at least I think...). So your argument is so wrong it actually pisses me off. Nothing in Minecraft was made as source of revenue and fame, even Notch was not expecting that this whole game will be this popular. Now modders are basically fans of this game with good java programming knowledge willing to contribute to better gaming experience, and monetary gain is not their motivation, fulfillment of creating is, and probably all of Minecraft fans can relate to that. If anything do not scold creative and hard working people for benefiting from their work, cos you are literally hurting your own enjoyment and variety in near future.

Reactions: psp

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Just to mention to everyone, there is nothing in this thread that relates to Jam-Packed. Can we try and stay on topic. I am not saying people cannot discuss Jampacked, the rules, the prizes etc. Just keep it to the appropriate threads.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Please, what type of packs would you like us to make? We're always open to feedback.

A bit late, but I can at least weigh in a bit on this. As I believe I've stated before, Infinity just feels...inferior to its predecessor, Monster. You take a look at Monster, and it has a ridiculous amount of content you can play with. Infinity feels more like a rehash of the old Beta A pack; you've got IC2, BuildCraft, TE, and a smattering of magic mods, and that's about it. First and foremost, Infinity is missing Reika's mods, the biggest reason I fell in love with Monster. RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft are just so different when compared to the Big Three (IC/BC/TE); they look different, they feel different, they play different. There's a more well-defined path between tiers, and you can get some insane things at the end. Not to diss King Lemming or TE (he's a great guy, and its a great mod), but comparing TE's endgame, not counting addons, to RotaryCraft and they simply don't compare. You can make your pulverizer faster or give you better secondary drops. With enough time, power, and creativity, you can get RotaryCraft's equivalent, the grinder, to triple an ore every tick.

Monster is like a scoop of rocky road, there's plenty to enjoy and its got a variety of tastes and textures. Infinity is more like plain chocolate ice cream: its better than vanilla, and while it does taste good, there's...just not as much to it. My primary suggestion: break out of the box. Give us something that's actually like Monster. Beta A made me giddy for modded Minecraft, but Monster is where I well and truly fell in love with it.

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
A bit late, but I can at least weigh in a bit on this. As I believe I've stated before, Infinity just feels...inferior to its predecessor, Monster. You take a look at Monster, and it has a ridiculous amount of content you can play with. Infinity feels more like a rehash of the old Beta A pack; you've got IC2, BuildCraft, TE, and a smattering of magic mods, and that's about it. First and foremost, Infinity is missing Reika's mods, the biggest reason I fell in love with Monster. RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft are just so different when compared to the Big Three (IC/BC/TE); they look different, they feel different, they play different. There's a more well-defined path between tiers, and you can get some insane things at the end. Not to diss King Lemming or TE (he's a great guy, and its a great mod), but comparing TE's endgame, not counting addons, to RotaryCraft and they simply don't compare. You can make your pulverizer faster or give you better secondary drops. With enough time, power, and creativity, you can get RotaryCraft's equivalent, the grinder, to triple an ore every tick.

Monster is like a scoop of rocky road, there's plenty to enjoy and its got a variety of tastes and textures. Infinity is more like plain chocolate ice cream: its better than vanilla, and while it does taste good, there's...just not as much to it. My primary suggestion: break out of the box. Give us something that's actually like Monster. Beta A made me giddy for modded Minecraft, but Monster is where I well and truly fell in love with it.
The thing is, monster had too much content. Mods were added in that didn't fit well with the modlist because they were good mods, and it was just a jumbled mess. Infinity is a kitchen sink pack that has a decent amount of content, without a content bloat. I mean monster had engineer's toolbox, rotarycraft, TE, IC2, factorization. Five mods that perform similar tasks. It really did not need that many major mods. And nowadays, reika's mods are more trouble than they're worth to put into a modpack. I mean the phoenix team have this private RP server with them in, and every time the mods update, we have to immediately update too, because there's this banner that says reika's mods are outdated, and that causes a black screen with thaumcraft's shader effects, and is generally annoying, and there is no way to disable it. Infinity is meant to have enough content to satisfy most, while not having too much content that it becomes a mess.

These are my opinions, not FTB's/PT's.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
And nowadays, reika's mods are more trouble than they're worth to put into a modpack
I heavily disagree with you on this part. (I think you are partly correct on the monster part)
If a modpack maker cannot spend the time to update the mods, then perhaps it is time for someone else to take over that modpack.
Anyways, you can just do /checker disable (modname)

goreae

Ultimate Murderous Fiend
Nov 27, 2012
Raxacoricofallapatorius
I heavily disagree with you on this part. (I think you are partly correct on the monster part)
If a modpack maker cannot spend the time to update the mods, then perhaps it is time for someone else to take over that modpack.
Anyways, you can just do /checker disable (modname)
But FTB likes to keep updates non-recommended for about a week to test and make sure it's stable before pushing recommended. Server operators are likely to use recommended builds rather than not. So either their players are gonna go for a while with the banner on or the server is gonna use potentially unstable versions. There's also the servers that prefer to stick to a certain version of the modpack. They're forced to update the modpack. And it's been shown that reika's mods can cause conflicts. In order to prevent the banner, they'd have to update the mod and use whatever versions actually work with the updated mods. Sometimes, that's none, and they'd be left waiting for an update that fixes it.

And while the command is all well and good, it's really ugly and unpolished. Having the player need to use the command every update is nowhere near ideal. I didn't know about such a command. You know there will be lots of players asking about the banner, how to remove it, etc. Besides the banner, server admins have very little control over it. You can't disable individual items, that's just not allowed by reika's terms. You'd have to disable the entire mod.

Reactions: Padfoote

psp

Jul 29, 2019
But FTB likes to keep updates non-recommended for about a week to test and make sure it's stable before pushing recommended. Server operators are likely to use recommended builds rather than not. So either their players are gonna go for a while with the banner on or the server is gonna use potentially unstable versions. There's also the servers that prefer to stick to a certain version of the modpack. They're forced to update the modpack. And it's been shown that reika's mods can cause conflicts. In order to prevent the banner, they'd have to update the mod and use whatever versions actually work with the updated mods. Sometimes, that's none, and they'd be left waiting for an update that fixes it.

And while the command is all well and good, it's really ugly and unpolished. Having the player need to use the command every update is nowhere near ideal. I didn't know about such a command. You know there will be lots of players asking about the banner, how to remove it, etc. Besides the banner, server admins have very little control over it. You can't disable individual items, that's just not allowed by reika's terms. You'd have to disable the entire mod.
upload_2015-4-12_15-12-24.png

I get your point, however, it's not that big of deal in my opinion.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Any chance the poll results could be made viewable without voting?
Haven't played any of the packs listed and doesn't really feel interested in doing so, so don't want to skew the result by just choosing something random to get my curiosity sated.

Reactions: Padfoote

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Any chance the poll results could be made viewable without voting?
Haven't played any of the packs listed and doesn't really feel interested in doing so, so don't want to skew the result by just choosing something random to get my curiosity sated.
  1. Infinity
    127 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. Direwolf20 1.7.10
    61 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Lite 3
    7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. *
    Resurrection
    19 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Mage Quest
    23 vote(s)
    9.7%

Reactions: Padfoote and rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
  1. Infinity
    127 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. Direwolf20 1.7.10
    61 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Lite 3
    7 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. *
    Resurrection
    19 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. Mage Quest
    23 vote(s)
    9.7%
Thanks.
Pretty much what I expected :p

Would have been interesting to see a poll with a "Favourite pack on the ftb launcher" and with a "Third party pack" option however(though the active members of this site might not give an accurate picture of the average user ofc.).

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks.
Pretty much what I expected :p

Would have been interesting to see a poll with a "Favourite pack on the ftb launcher" and with a "Third party pack" option however(though the active members of this site might not give an accurate picture of the average user ofc.).
Eh, I really don't like any of the 1.7.10 packs.
But I agree, it would be interesting to see what the results where if the third party listed packs where added.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
You can't disable individual items, that's just not allowed by reika's terms. You'd have to disable the entire mod.

So? I really fail to see how this is a problem. Also, including them in a pack being a problem? I dunno about you, but I had only a few minor problems tacking on Reika's mod to my private Infinity instance. All I had to do was change some potion and biome IDs to prevent conflicts, something even a neophyte pack maker should be able to do with ease.

Oh, and that banner folks like to complain about? Again, not a problem for even the most inexperienced pack author.

B:"Agressive Update Notification"=false, in DragonAPI.cfg. Its literally the first value in the config file. I'm several versions behind (running v5c while I think Reika's up to v6c or something), and I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Banner of Devastation.

Again, for anyone who does more than slap some crap together and call it a "mod pack," such things are absolutely trivial. No MineTweaker, no confusing naming conventions, just plain-as-day English in a config file anyone can edit with a handful of minutes and Notepad. Reika's T's-and-C's are also absolutely trivial to adhere to for anyone with a hint of intelligence and integrity. All you have to do is not mess with his mod outside configs and basically not be a belligerent knobend. If you have a problem adhering to 'em, then honestly, I think you're the one with the problem, not Reika.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

THEminer72

Jul 29, 2019

Simple, change the recipe to something impossible, like an end portal.
EDIT:Also change the config its at the top even in the config, AGGRESSIVE UPDATES