RFTools - Support and Suggestions

merlin43210

Jul 29, 2019
I have an interesting idea for dimlets. The 'grammer' nature of them forms a kind of nesting structure, where for example a material none modifies a terrain, etc. Might be cool if you could open a dimlet (GUI interface) and have slots where you put put dimlets, so a material none dimlet would fit in a special slot inside a terrain dimlet, and only appropriate dimlets would fit that slot. I think this would be a lot more intuitive to players how the whole grammer thing works.
Wow this is an educated and amazing idea that would help with 1. the grammer it would make things easier for people 2. it would not be so complicated to organize the dimlets into the correct order.

Reactions: Pyure

merlin43210

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, this has been suggested before. However, that's a rather big change so not sure if I will get around to that soon.
I can see how it would be a big change and a large amount of code might need to be changed a lot (I learned a little Java once) but I think that either way this is a great mod like a RF powered mystcraft.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Actually maybe it wouldn't be that hard. I see a few ways where it would be possible to do. It wouldn't replace the current grammer but just be a shortcut to it.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Something for next version of RFTools. Dimension validation before you create it:

xMtZdKN.png

AuoroP

Jul 29, 2019
The unnatural darkness is a feature that is already there. It is just a global dimming of the light values for sky and ground and is not related to blindness.

I think RFTools should add a bit of light during night.

You must be aware that many people stream this game to entertain many many people and entertaining people with a black video is a challenge so most of them cranked their brightness and your mod has broken this feature of the game for them because absolute darkness cannot be brightened.

If I've read your response correctly then 0 light was "feature" because your code has do something to make it light at night and it is a new experience in Minecraft for you! I'm guessing you wanted to play around with black nights but I don't think you'll want to keep it that way after taking into account what this feature is doing to entertainers.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com

You must be aware that many people stream this game to entertain many many people and entertaining people with a black video is a challenge so most of them cranked their brightness and your mod has broken this feature of the game for them because absolute darkness cannot be brightened.

If I've read your response correctly then 0 light was "feature" because your code has do something to make it light at night and it is a new experience in Minecraft for you! I'm guessing you wanted to play around with black nights but I don't think you'll want to keep it that way after taking into account what this feature is doing to entertainers.
They can play another pack if they don't like it. I'm not stopping them.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

In the comment that you are replying too I was talking about the unnatural darkness that occurs when a dimension runs out of power. I'm not talking about the hardcore darkness of the pathfinder modpack. In normal RFTools (outside pathfinder) the world is as bright as it is in the overworld.

Hossumquat

Jul 29, 2019

I think entertainers should make use of torches and such. It is the accepted method of making things bright enough to see. :) They are a poor entertainer if they aren't thinking about their audience.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
In the comment that you are replying too I was talking about the unnatural darkness that occurs when a dimension runs out of power. I'm not talking about the hardcore darkness of the pathfinder modpack. In normal RFTools (outside pathfinder) the world is as bright as it is in the overworld.
Oh, wow. I completely forgot to check the thread. Everyone ignore this comment:
They can play another pack if they don't like it. I'm not stopping them.

Reactions: Pyure

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Transdimensional RF transportation, hm? Seems interesting. There is, presumably, a constant energy tax, and it doesn't look like it's very flexible as to what dimension RF can be transported to, but it's probably cheaper than tesseracts, and as a side bonus, you get a whole free dimension to power stuff in!

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Transdimensional RF transportation, hm? Seems interesting. There is, presumably, a constant energy tax, and it doesn't look like it's very flexible as to what dimension RF can be transported to, but it's probably cheaper than tesseracts, and as a side bonus, you get a whole free dimension to power stuff in!

Well the block only works in the dimension you put it in. It is mostly useful for two purposes:
  • Extracting energy out of a dimension that you don't plan on using anymore.
  • Setting up a base in a dimension, making sure you have enough energy input in your dimension in a central hub (possibly with multiple dimension builders) and then use this extractor to distribute power to all machines that need it.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, I'd figured that, about the "it only draws from the dimension it's in" thing. I was thinking along the lines of "Hmm, Dimension Builders work across dimensions, so with this new machine, you should be able to transfer RF between dimensions, so long as the receiving dimension is an RFTools dimension." Then by brain decided to make a post acting under the premise that this was the whole point of the Energy Extractor.

I probably need sleep.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Yes you are right that it can be used to transfer power to machines in an RFTools dimension.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was thinking about how I would go into someone's base, hop into their dim, suck most of their power out, then hop back and cut their external power to the dim effectively trapping/killing them.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

WrinkleyPotato

Jul 29, 2019
is there any way to make new dimlets? For Jam packed my pack with be dependent on this mod and I will be hopefully using custom blocks from Quadrum.
Also how do I find the dimension Id? I need for custom ore spawning in CoFH Core.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
is there any way to make new dimlets? For Jam packed my pack with be dependent on this mod and I will be hopefully using custom blocks from Quadrum.
Also how do I find the dimension Id? I need for custom ore spawning in CoFH Core.

There is a file called 'userdimlets.json' which you can edit to add custom blocks. See https://github.com/McJty/RFTools/wiki/RFTools-Dimension-Configuration for more details.

The dimension id is not known in advance since RFTools (just like Mystcraft) creates dimensions dynamically. i.e. when you make a new dimension a new ID is assigned and that can be anything.