xycraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Herrozerro

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason to keep xycraft in my world? The aluminium and Xychorium are so plentiful and have practically no use.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any reason to keep xycraft in my world? The aluminium and Xychorium are so plentiful and have practically no use.
Eventually when it updates it will be integrated and there will be a use for all those infinity bajillion ores.

They already post new machines on the twitter feed for their website daily, so I'd assume they'll release within the next month or so.

Though, I think he plans on releasing along with MC 1.5, which includes new graphic updates.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
xychorium looks awesome
aluminium is good for lava cans
quartz look like fancy torches
when xycraft is updated to include the functional blocks like fabricator/waterblock/etc you will be glad you hoarded all that xychorium.

Yes, there is a reason, just like theres a reason to hoard tungsten, it WILL be useful and it WILL be needed.

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
For now, you can use the blocks as such:

• Mobs don't spawn on Xychorium blocks (nifty)
  • Xychorium Plates are explosion resistant (tnt, creeper)
  • Xychorium Shields are explosion resistant (nuclear)
  • Aluminium torches that have a better radius than the regular ones
  • Popcorn gives a short duration speed boost
In the current unreleasedversion which is present on the Forgecraft test server, Xycraft has:
  • Liquid tanks (similar to Iron Tanks, but can be done with anything and of any size and contain a little less since the edges don't count.
  • Lights
  • A whole new energy system based around lasers, with power tools, machines and more that will use it (saw the lasers in a Direwold20 SMP preview, they look so cool)
  • Engineer Glass (seamless glass, looks nice for those without texture packs that makes glass fit together, I think its also somewhat blast resistant and can be picked up without silk touch)
  • Fabricator (automated crafting table working a little differently than already existing ones, they look awesome)
  • Water Blocks (a solid block that acts like an infinite water source)
  • Growing Blocks (a solid green block that acts like soil and boosts growth rate the more there are of it stacked below the plant)
And a whole lot more we probably haven't seen yet

Reactions: Confidential1207

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
quartz look like fancy torches

I am thinking: how much light do they actually emit compared to a torch? I never really checked as I tend to use wrath lamps, glowstone, glowstone lamps or redpower inverted lamps for my lighting needs.

I will have to check that and compare.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking: how much light do they actually emit compared to a torch? I never really checked as I tend to use wrath lamps, glowstone, glowstone lamps or redpower inverted lamps for my lighting needs.

I will have to check that and compare.
They are basicly a Glowstone(both emit light level 15), just with the look of a torch.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Xychorium Shields are explosion resistant (nuclear)

Unless your nuclear reactor has like 1 piece of uranium surrounded by plates in, this certainly wasn't true when mindcrack released. Unless by resistant we mean "will absorb a lot of the damage".

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Quartz crystals have a small light value, I think half a normal torch.

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
The blocks are also good for Thaumcraft aspect: Each Xychorium block has Crystal + 1 other aspect on it.

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
Just did a test in creative for the shields. Mindcrack 8.0.1

Test 1
Setup:
A 2x2x2 pile of nukes surrounded by a 6x6x6 Xychorium Shields hollow cube (single layer) with a lever + wire to activate them all at the same time.

Results:
Shields hold perfectly.

Test 2
Setup:
A nuclear reactor with 20 Plutonium Quad cells and nothing to mitigate heat. It is inside the same 6x6x6 Xychorium Shield, Single layer, as above.

Results:
The blast destroys the shields, but only eats up to three layers of dirt beyond the shield, couldn't even destroy stone nearby. The blast was 99.9% contained.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Test 2
Setup:
A nuclear reactor with 20 Plutonium Quad cells and nothing to mitigate heat. It is inside the same 6x6x6 Xychorium Shield, Single layer, as above.

Results:
The blast destroys the shields, but only eats up to three layers of dirt beyond the shield, couldn't even destroy stone nearby. The blast was 99.9% contained.

More like 95% - which really isn't that great when things like hardened stone already hold all but the worst.

Greytusks

Jul 29, 2019
More like 95% - which really isn't that great when things like hardened stone already hold all but the worst.

I did just finished a comparison with the standard IC2 Reinforced Stone, and the results are about the same, with the stone protecting slightly less, but not by much, barely makes a difference.

Edit:

as a side note, Thaumcraft 3's totems are also very nuclear resistant

Remaker

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not very hot for Xycraft either, and always have to remember to kick it out when the pack updates. I think that the ores look horrible and they have this glitchy flashing that makes them impossible to ignore. And oh my god the inventory bloat. All those different colors of xychorum, the crystals (which look so weird in a cave that I was certain I was looking at a graphics card glitch), and then two more kinds of seeds, neither of which adds new functionality to the pack.

It's not like some mod that adds a tool that I'll never use but is otherwise harmless. Xycraft actually negatively impacts my playing experience and offers almost nothing in terms of gameplay in return. The things that it does add right now can be duplicated easily by existing blocks (warded stone is even better for blast resistance and half slabs have always blocked mob spawning). I know that there are plans for new machines, but what I've heard leaves unexcited. Another completely orthogonal power system, another network of pipes and fluids, and another autocraft system.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
Pumping lava is also possibly the lamest argument to watch in existence, but hey, if it's in Minecraft, people will complain about it.

Reactions: Spikednate12