Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like people criticize ic2 just because of gregtech when neither mod deserves it. I could see how some of the new changes could upset some people like the EV power tier or the new glass fibre cable recipe. The bottom line is if you don't like it don't play it and especially don't say that it's a bad mod.

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
wow, i...never once implied that you guys weren't up for the challenge. scroll back through my prior posts in this thread, i'm no greg fan, so check yourself there.

TE is just the fotm currently, that's all. it's efficient, and it's easy. is the "difficulty" part of the appeal? probably, and you can't deny it.

Yes and no. The problem is that equating difficulty with tedium and punishment is incorrect. TE isn't really easy - it's intuitive. There is a world of difference and people seem to conflate them. Not really an FOTM. Other mods exist which are "easier" but the real appeal is that you can run a 50+ player server with TE as the backbone and keep 20 TPS.

On a side note, people citing TE3 as an IC2 replacement at all sort of shows you something, as the only real similarities are the Furnace and Pulverizer. That kind of means IC2 was only being used for Ore Processing. And frankly that's a shame, given that it's a great mod for a lot of other reasons.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Not really tried the new IC2E yet, but I am pretty sure I will still use it. For example the ability to upgrade the processing speed of ore processing have had me favor IC2 for that task in the past, and I guess it still will. But that didn't mean I didn't have a full line of the Thermal expansion machines as well. Different tools for different jobs.

On a side note, people citing TE3 as an IC2 replacement at all sort of shows you something, as the only real similarities are the Furnace and Pulverizer. That kind of means IC2 was only being used for Ore Processing. And frankly that's a shame, given that it's a great mod for a lot of other reasons.
Exactly. I have never been a great user of the crops etc., but there were/are so many other great things that IC2 did/does that I probably wont be able to play without. For example I love the tools and armour(specially with Gravisuite). And I like the fact that it can get rid of my unwanted items for me, while giving me something useful in return(UU-matter).

The fact that they finally (IMO) fixed the wires really doesn't bother me. Quite the contrary, I always found it off putting that wires just magically transferred infinite amounts of power, as long as it was in small packages. I think its great that IC2E tries to take a more realistic approach to the electrical system. It will force us to design our power network in ways equal to what you can see in your own house: Several limited lines to supply the different parts of the house.
Careful, you might learn something!

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
And this here is the issue: right now, it really isn't. IC2 was really good at 4 things:
-Powerful Armor
-Ore Processing
-Electric Tools
-Mass production of items from energy (UU)

TiC and Redstone Arsenal are both, in my opinion, more interesting for electric tools and it seems many players share that opinion. MPS is also more interesting for powerful armor IMO (again, seemingly common opinion) and it does not help in the slightest that Exp. proceeded to NERF the armor indirectly by making it cost significantly more. TE's ore processing is both more user-friendly and statistically superior, plus there are some new contenders like Dartcraft and TC4. And finally, UU was nerfed so hard by Exp. that it's basically just dumping power down the drain.

Basically, it's boring and easy, yet extremely annoying.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019

that's what i'm saying.

don't get me wrong, love TE, but lately people are waving it's flag while giving ic2 a lot of hate that i don't think it deserves. the quote on page 1 that says ic2 "lacks content" really hit that nail on the head.

people's children... :(

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
mind pointing out how many mods in FTB are actually considered finished?
MPS and that's about it. Little about IC2 Exp. is experimental at this point, it's just IC2 with active development.

Maybe part of the issue is that most of us have used IC2 many, many times and we got bored with it.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
the quote on page 1 that says ic2 "lacks content" really hit that nail on the head.
well i think this is mostly coming from not the actual lack of content, but the lack of content that people care about.

and when it comes to actual lack of content the mid tier power gen has been saying hi for quite some time, and from what i heard it still is.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
well i think this is mostly coming from not the actual lack of content, but the lack of content that people care about.

and when it comes to actual lack of content the mid tier power gen has been saying hi for quite some time, and from what i heard it still is.
if one has never explored ic2 content, it's worth checking out. otherwise, i can see the point of lack of content that people care about. i can think of only a few situations where the crops would be useful in today's ftb environment. since 1.4.7 i've actually only touched them once.

on the topic of mid tier, how much of it are you wanting these days, what, with bees and such around to supply your metal and uranium needs? not an apiarist? for everyone else, there's that one dimension from OPenblocks and your turtle army amirite? launch the gps satellites! ;)

you can hop and skip right over mid tier and straight to nukes as long as you're not playing bare bones ic2 atop vanilla.

and yes, nukes can be mid tier. you don't have to build the 2048eu/t mark III SUC, you know

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I think the issue isn't that there's no middle-game, the issue is that late-game is just spamming mid-game stuff. Only AE and GT have really explored the hyper-late game and the latter has gone the full conversion route.

Really, think about it for a sec. Do we really have a lack of middle game or do we have a lack of late game?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
you can hop and skip right over mid tier and straight to nukes as long as you're not playing bare bones ic2 atop vanilla.
and without other mods mid tier power feels kinda awkward, which is quite an issue for mod, that looks like capable of being standalone.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Heck- I actually like the new IC2.
The old powergrid/sending multiple "packets" of Eu down the same line to skip the voltage limit always felt like an exploit- I'm kinda glad its fixed.
(the first time I crafted a macerator I was disappointed because it felt cheap using flint instead of diamond. It friggin doubles your ore load and all you need is lousy flint!!!)​
And as for overvolting machine and blowing stuff up- pay attention to what you're doing.
-Everything labelled with the power outputs and voltage limits anyway. (that might be WALIA/NEI- but the informations there)
A lot of the criticism comes in mainly because the mod is evolving.
IC2 will always be a good mod- but the captive audience and target market is changing. So a lot of people who used to like may find it doesn't match their tastes anymore. Likewise people who didn't like it as much may enjoy the changes more.

-Though in the interest of fairness its not perfect; very few mods ever get close to perfection.
New 32x32 textures- yeah not as obnoxious are Powersuits or AM2, but random changes in graphics like that really bug me. Either do the vanilla ones to match, or stick on 16x16.
Machine explosions- feels a little off blasting a hole for too much power; it'll feel better out leaving an empty machine block and pieces of slag/scrap scattered on the floor.
Agriculture- not an output buff, but certainly could be a lot more intuitive or a few tools to help cross pollinate and clone plants.​

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I think the issue isn't that there's no middle-game, the issue is that late-game is just spamming mid-game stuff. Only AE and GT have really explored the hyper-late game and the latter has gone the full conversion route.

Really, think about it for a sec. Do we really have a lack of middle game or do we have a lack of late game?
wouldn't late game power be the high output reactors and adding breeders into the mix? or...what are we referring to? at the point in our hypothetical ic2-only world that i'm building SUC reactors and breeders, i'm considering adding teleportation to my base to eat up the extra power.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
having almost the exact same mod since alpha while the game has changed so much in 3 years says something.

besides that the steve carts ideology of "craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to craft this to get 1% of the item you are trying to make" is dumb in my opinion.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
I do not like IC2 because I could not find any use of it in the current Monster pack. Lack of gravichest and advanced solar simply cannot justify the need of alternative power supply grid. Nuclear reactors with current output and amount of babysitting are rather useless. TE offers wide service functionality and neat machines since the first day of game till the very end of the game. Rotary Craft offers superior end game ore processing capabilities together with cool gadgets.

IC2 stands somewhere aside from the rest of Monster pack, it is too expensive and tedious for begging, it is too trivial for the meddle of the game, and it does not have end game content. It seems other mods simply pretend IC2 does not exist, so people stopped adding cool staff that requires IC2.

We can try to count the number of generators for RF/BC and generators for EU. Aside of compact wind and solar nothing does exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: sivina

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really HATE IC2, I've just always preferred TE. In 1.4.7 my bases were all BC/TE/RP, with forestry farms and a smattering of Railcraft. The only exception was a Mindcrack server, where I only used IC2 when I was forced to by the configs. For me, it's more of an aesthetics thing. I liked the look of TE, especially the moving engines. In fact, I really miss those engines now. The stationary dynamos have much less character. The configurable input/output is also nice.

IC2 was too much of a tech jump for me, if that makes any sense. I mean, you go straight from punching wood and digging holes to electric generators and batteries. At least TE has a sort of/semi steam age in the middle. It has always seemed more steampunk-esque to me, especially when mixed with Railcraft & Steve's Carts. Sort of a magi-tech "age of rail meets mad scientist" feel.

Reactions: Padfoote

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
I once did like IC2 (1.4.7) but not IC2-exp the major problems I had with IC2 on 1.5.x was that it just hammers my server silly (plus there's the fact I'm running on a laptop) then on 1.6 with the exp thing it made the recipes more tedious GTLite in this case plus it still hammers my SSP client silly so silly I was having framerate issues already just by having 5 geothermal generators powereing an AE system which hasnt been doing anything on a stress run well then theres also open blocks tanks which also hammered my client to a degree suffering more silly framerate issues...

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I used IC2 for:-

Advanced Machines so I could cope with the output of my auto-mining and for instant auto-crafting with loads of overclockers in the machines.

I would then build reactors so I could produce UU to help with my monster builds when I needed some random resource.

Gravisuite, seems easier to use than MPS for me.

And to be honest I'm probably going to do the same in my next world, TE machines are just not fast enough to deal with how I automine and UU is a must for me because I can't stand halting a fun build to look for wool or something equally stupid.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
(...) but they are slightly tedious in the early game. Metal former makes it fine though.
What, no, the metal former makes everything MORE tedious. Especially with AE, I find it better to just waste iron making tons of hammers and cutters than using that slow machine that needs a bit way too many overclockers before getting anywhere near reliable.

I've given the new IC2 a try, but really, I just can't bother anymore (even after trying to make it more subjectively fun with Dartcraft's additions). The changes... well, they actually did succeed in bringing more life to it, but they were pretty much change for the sake of change and didn't add anything to the gameplay or the progression. The new set of machines is just an attempt to compete with TE (and it's still inferior) and in the end only adds more steps to the microcrafting party that this mod is. As for the good things, I guess I like how there's an actual reason to bother with nuclear power now, other than novelty -- as "OP" as it might sound, getting essentially free power after hours of running your reactor thanks to the whatstheirnames pellets is a nice thing.
The absolute worst thing, though, is the fact that for a mod that heavily punishes errors (hello there voltage), this mod has a serious lack of up-to-date official documentation.

In the end, I think IC2 (sort of like BC) is pretty much just a relic of the past. I found interesting back when it was new and shiny for me, but after seeing nearly everything else get new features and/or better usability while it remained the same for so long, it grew to be... I don't know. Boring? Even with the 1.6 changes or additions, it's still basically the same mod under all the coatings of paint. I'm happy without it, I can do everything that I would use it for with alternatives that I find much more interesting, and I don't think I'll use it again anytime soon.
[/rant]

Reactions: RedBoss
Status
Not open for further replies.