Why don't people like IC2 anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
To me, IC2 and Thermal Expansion are workhorse mods at this point. By that I mean I don't expect them to wow me with new mechanics (although that sometimes happens with the new additions, especially for thermal expansion), but they are just the default things I get started with when I'm making a new world and setting up my first automation systems.
So basically, for me, IC2 has been just an extension of the core part of Minecraft. Something I expect to be there and a mechanic I can rely on being present. I also like it as so many other mods use its energy system. IC2, Buildcraft, and now Thermal Expansion are just part of Minecraft to me. So I think all of this "it's outdated and should be removed" business makes no sense.
Of course, sometimes mods do get outdated / not updated / replaced even after reaching this level (I'm looking at you RedPower), so I'm not saying it has to be in there forever. But as long as it keeps doing what I need it to do and I haven't hit the limit for how many mods Minecraft & Forge can handle, there's no reason not to keep it.
That's not exactly what we were arguing about. We were arguing that other mods like TE, etc. added functions that IC2 has, but with less tedium and pointless steps involved.

Reactions: PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
That's not exactly what we were arguing about. We were arguing that other mods like TE, etc. added functions that IC2 has, but with less tedium and pointless steps involved.

I understand where you're coming from, but why not have more choice? Someone who's more familiar with IC2 or likes it better can have the option to use it, and someone who doesn't can just ignore it. I would argue that, at the current time, it's still a core part of the modded minecraft experience so it makes sense that any modpack with tech would have it.

Of course, with the new version coming out, it's always possible it will go the way of GregTech and become a niche mod, and in that case i'd be inclined to agree with you.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I understand where you're coming from, but why not have more choice? Someone who's more familiar with IC2 or likes it better can have the option to use it, and someone who doesn't can just ignore it. I would argue that, at the current time, it's still a core part of the modded minecraft experience so it makes sense that any modpack with tech would have it.

Of course, with the new version coming out, it's always possible it will go the way of GregTech and become a niche mod, and in that case i'd be inclined to agree with you.
That's why it's in some of the modpacks available out there. So that people can use it. But I disagree in that it is a core part of the modded minecraft experience. I really don't feel like reiterating everything, so you can go through this thread and see what I'm talking about.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019

That's the thing, though. A lot of people feel that its already becoming a niche mod, with a few things (like crops and UU) that other mods don't really do, or don't do in quite the same way as IC2. Ore processing and power generation, the primary draw for many of IC2, is done by damn near every other tech mod out there today, and even some magic mods like Thaumcraft, in a way that many feel is superior to what you get out of modern IC2. Other comparable mods aren't as complicated in terms of crafting steps as IC2 is, meaning that you can get more done per unit of time than you can in IC2, meaning that there's less grind when you go to, say, Thermal Expansion for ore processing or other automation.

Automated, semi-targeted mining was also another draw of IC2, but you couldn't run a Miner with both an upgraded scanner and a diamond drill. The power it required to run was greater than the power it could take before violently exploding. This niche has now been filled by the (much more expensive, but totally worth it) digital miner from Mekanism. It has the advantage of being able to target specific ores, replace what it mines (if you want it to), and only takes exactly what you tell it to. It can even dig things other than ores, giving it a great deal of utility for clearing large areas.

IC2 is part of the old guard, and like many of its breed, its trying to change to keep up with the newbies that are coming on to their particular scene. However, the ways in which it is changing are problematic for some people, resulting in a declining userbase. Whether or not IC2-experimental is a "diamond in the rough" remains to be seen. Remember: anything that has the capacity to become good also has the capacity to become shite.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I understand where you're coming from, but why not have more choice? Someone who's more familiar with IC2 or likes it better can have the option to use it, and someone who doesn't can just ignore it.
Maybe a server wants to not be laggy. Ic2 for all of its glory in 1.2.5 still has so much legacy code that it's inedible. TE has been down to be at best 50 times more efficient than ic2. (Comparison between electronic furnace and the redstone furnace)

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Mekanism doesnt get enough play. That digital miner was genius. Not too drawn to it for the ore x3 (x4?), but the compact factories are pretty boss.
Not to come off like I'm pimping Mekanism, which I guess I kinda am, but Mekanism really does have a lot of what IC2 and TE have, and then some. The coolest, most server-friendly, and efficient form of automated mining? Check. Ore doubling and tripling? Check. Machines with configurable I/O sides? Check. Colourable item transport pipes a la RedPower? Cheeeeeeck. The nicest-looking and (to my knowledge) most effective method of fluid transportation? Again, freaking check. Plus, its got universal cables, machine upgradability, the problems it had in 1.5 with AE have long since been fixed, and those most wondrous factories. I haven't even gotten into Mekanism Induction, yet. Mostly because I've not played with it, but it looks cool as hell.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Induction has gone back to Calv, so won't be part of Mek in next version.

Mek has really gone forward in leap and bounds, you can tell Aidan is really putting a lot of effort into it. Works seamlessly by itself and hand in hand with TE.
Digital Miner is brilliant, I love that you need to have some infrastructure in place to even craft the thing. It's expensive to build, has a number of crafting steps, but doesn't feel tedius. Then, wow, what a reward when you craft one.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
The nicest-looking and (to my knowledge) most effective method of fluid transportation? Again, freaking check.
I have found that the most efficient fluid transportation is Steve's factory manager. However mek is still the nicest looking

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Not to come off like I'm pimping Mekanism, which I guess I kinda am, but Mekanism really does have a lot of what IC2 and TE have, and then some. The coolest, most server-friendly, and efficient form of automated mining? Check. Ore doubling and tripling? Check. Machines with configurable I/O sides? Check. Colourable item transport pipes a la RedPower? Cheeeeeeck. The nicest-looking and (to my knowledge) most effective method of fluid transportation? Again, freaking check. Plus, its got universal cables, machine upgradability, the problems it had in 1.5 with AE have long since been fixed, and those most wondrous factories. I haven't even gotten into Mekanism Induction, yet. Mostly because I've not played with it, but it looks cool as hell.
And jetpacks! With an amazing hover mode!

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
and the robots. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.