What're your favorite new discoveries in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
I changed my configs so I can check the UU-Matter recipes on NEI.
Five UU gives you 48 Chiseled Stone Bricks! Didn't know that!

When we get Redpower again, you'll be able to craft your own chiseled stone blocks. I believe it's just four stone bricks on the crafting grid.

We'll also be able to farm mossy bricks/cobble and cracked bricks!

If I remember right, mossy stones are the trickier ones, since you need to find a dungeon and bring back at least one mossy stone to start the process. (Twilight Forest wizard towers are also a good source.) You place the mossy stone and regular stones next to water, and out of the sun, and the moss will spread. You can even farm it, with a cobblegen, some pistons, and some block breakers.

For cracked bricks, you place any old stone brick between lava and water. Then wait - Eloraam set it up so that the 'temperature difference' would crack the bricks over time.

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
When we get Redpower again, you'll be able to craft your own chiseled stone blocks. I believe it's just four stone bricks on the crafting grid.

We'll also be able to farm mossy bricks/cobble and cracked bricks!

If I remember right, mossy stones are the trickier ones, since you need to find a dungeon and bring back at least one mossy stone to start the process. (Twilight Forest wizard towers are also a good source.) You place the mossy stone and regular stones next to water, and out of the sun, and the moss will spread. You can even farm it, with a cobblegen, some pistons, and some block breakers.

For cracked bricks, you place any old stone brick between lava and water. Then wait - Eloraam set it up so that the 'temperature difference' would crack the bricks over time.

Can't you just make mossy stone in the moistener?

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I quite like how useful turtles can be. And also, as a replacement for teleport pipes, could I have a turtle pick up the items, go through a mystcraft portal to a separate location, and them drop them off?

Jharakn

Jul 29, 2019
I've been really impressed with the Thermal Expansion stuff personally. TE has completely replaced IC2 as my default ore processing setup, combine that with the outstanding Railcraft Boiler and you've got a great start to a base.

I've also been teaching myself the basics of computercraft, its swiftly becoming apparent that the scope of things I could achieve if I have a good grasp of LUA far exceeds my wildest imagining.

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
I quite like how useful turtles can be. And also, as a replacement for teleport pipes, could I have a turtle pick up the items, go through a mystcraft portal to a separate location, and them drop them off?
Have you tried that in-game yet? I was unaware that turtles could pass through Mystcraft portals.
I remember planning a setup with a mining turtle on either side of a portal, breaking a turtle, throwing it through a portal, and having the turtle on the other side pick it up and place it. Not so useful on SSP, though.

Brewster1972

Jul 29, 2019
For me it was some of the more simplistic things that have the greatest impact. I love the mini-map, waypoint system, and the inventory tweaks. Not having to open your inventory every time you break a tool is a godsend when you have some serious mining to do. Rei's mini-map just keeps me on track and makes navigation so much easier than before.

The rest of the stuff is all great too but haven't changed things like the two mods I mentioned.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Steve's Carts for sure. They have so much personality and are so useful. The solar panel animation might be my favorite thing in the game.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
For me it was some of the more simplistic things that have the greatest impact. I love the mini-map, waypoint system, and the inventory tweaks. Not having to open your inventory every time you break a tool is a godsend when you have some serious mining to do. Rei's mini-map just keeps me on track and makes navigation so much easier than before.

The rest of the stuff is all great too but haven't changed things like the two mods I mentioned.

I completely agree with the sentiment. It's what convinced me to even try FTB in the first place. Since playing I have delved into some of the machinery stuff, I've built a quarry at least, but haven't gotten too much more advanced that that. But the minimap and inventory stuff, and recipes I use all the time, every time and couldn't see myself playing without them.

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
I like this thread! Finding new stuff and mechanics with every post :)
Did you know you can make dirt by macerating an IC2 plantball? Other awesome things for me are the Router from Factorization and Energy cell from Thermal Expansion.... what else.... hmmmm... the TE Aqueous Accumulator is EPIC and another small thing: the fact that steam turbines from Railcraft do not damage the Rotor if they can't output EU and they do less damage if the output is not 100%... I could write VOLUMES!!! Also Steve's carts tree farms >> charcoal >> Railcraft Boilers >> OVERPOWERED!!!

SuperFlorian12

Jul 29, 2019
Milk can be used as a fuel in biogas engines, it generates 1 MJ/t and it's pretty much an infinity fuel source.
I made a BC to IC2 energie transformer by melting netherrack/cobblestone into lava in a magma crucible and then using a geothermal generator to generate EU. Greg Tech makes Solar Panels a lot harder to get so that was very usefull to start generating EU without coal or collecting lava by hand.
Geothermal generator accepts lava from a magma crusible directly, no need for a pipe.

Domingo_Chavez

Jul 29, 2019
I have been particularly impressed by thermal expansion and how useful it is when combined with other mods. In particular, using the liquid transposer, I can now pick up lots of lava using cells while mining, and then put it in my geothermal generator without wasting any tin.