What're your favorite new discoveries in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
I was poking around in NEI, and discovered much to my delight that I can use lime dye and milk in a Factorization crystalizer to make slime balls! Like... a runny sort of sticky cheese, I suppose? No more mucking about with slime farms!

What have you discovered that came as a most pleasant surprise?

CyborgTriceratops

Jul 29, 2019
For me its the massive amount of things you can do that is my favorite. I'm currently working on finding diamonds in my world (I've never had this much trouble before...) and setting up a basic base, but I already have so many plans I want to do for making everything green, building farms, exploring other worlds

SirZeroKnight

Jul 29, 2019
... I already have so many plans I want to do for making everything green...
By this do you mean the color green? Or environmentally green?

On-topic:
I enjoy how some of the mods so closely intertwine, forcing me to learn about every mod in the modpack.
Off-topic:
I feel the need to make a mod that adds amethyst so I can have a purple gem.

CyborgTriceratops

Jul 29, 2019
SirZeroknight said:
By this do you mean the color green? Or environmentally green?

Environmentally green, as an extra challenge to myself. I'll not be using limitless water if at all possible, I'll catch water in cauldrons, use the nether to farm lava, grab some solar panels, ect.

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe if we could make apatite into blocks?

https://www.google.com/search?q=apa...CJsOziwKgkYCYAg&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1538&bih=839[DOUBLEPOST=1354166155][/DOUBLEPOST]As for the green energy, you may find it helpful when Redpower2 is added to the pack.
One of the new features is a blulectric engine, so you can convert blutricity to Buildcraft MJ's.
Set up a series of thermopiles, say, and use that power to charge up some Redstone energy cells. Those, in turn, can power Forestry electric engines should you need some IC2 power. Easy, clean energy storage! (Not especially cheap, though. Those cells are a tad pricey.)

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Environmentally green, as an extra challenge to myself. I'll not be using limitless water if at all possible, I'll catch water in cauldrons, use the nether to farm lava, grab some solar panels, ect.
The Forestry rainwater tank, Railcraft water tank, and cactus in a squeezer are alternative means of water collection. If you like beekeeping, try working your way up to the demonic line. They produce phosphor, which can be squeezed for lava.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
He is talking about a new item in Redpower which is the Blulectric Engine. It takes Blulectric (the power for RP) and turns it into MJ.

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
For me it's the Extra Biomes XL mod, the world-gen of the overworld is so fantastically beautiful, I had heard of it before but never tried it. It's brilliant.

I think a close second though will be once we have redpower in, as my hope (and if it isn't by default I will certainly be configuring my server for this) is that it will use Greg Tech's gem world gen rules for the redpower gems, as I've always felt these were a bit easy to get, but Greg Tech would give you a reason to go to each biome in hunt of gems for redpower (especially if you don't want to use Greg Tech machines).

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
He is talking about a new item in Redpower which is the Blulectric Engine. It takes Blulectric (the power for RP) and turns it into MJ.

" Those, in turn, can power Forestry electric engines should you need some IC2 power. " <- no he's not :3

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry electrical engines take in EU and produce MJ, so no, they can't produce EU.

If you want EU from MJ you can use a Bio Generator to use the biofuel to produce EU.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
For me it's all the new toys to play with, also I like the fact you can make energy crystals with a ruby instead of diamond :D

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
I still have more to explore, but so far for me it's Twilight Forest, it's so different from all the other worlds and full of curiosities and beauty.

Reactions: damnedsky

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
It gets better. You can make lapotron crystals with sapphires instead of energy crystals ;)

Effervo

Jul 29, 2019
It gets better. You can make lapotron crystals with sapphires instead of energy crystals ;)

When I found that out, my almost dead supply of Diamonds sky rocketed because I found an underwater abandoned mineshaft. One 2 hour mining expedition later and I had 2 stacks of Sapphires to turn into Lapotrons. Now I have 3 stacks of diamonds and no use for them because I'm waiting for all my rubies and redstone to be processed in a centrifuge so that I can create the higher tier gregtech items with chrome ingots :p

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
All sorts, as I was still using my edited version of Direwolf's single player season 3 configs up until the release of FTB. I agree with QueWhat about the twilight forest, the bosses are awesome especially the Hydra. The other big highlight for me is Factorization, I took a while to warm to it but I'm dead keen now. I nearly have the whole ore refining process automatic using routers and the odd buildcraft pipe, it's a really refreshing way to do things when you've been building the same old logistics pipes/Redpower/IC2 system over and over for so long.

Reactions: damnedsky

Jason Betts

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite so far ( and likely getting nerfed in my next server install )... Cannon Ball Runs..

Gear up, grab a laser and outrun the corruption/lag in a dense ore Age... what fun. Want more fun, play it Russian Roulette style with no more than enchanted diamond armor/potions (HAHA GL).

The awesomeness of turtles and twilight forest come a close second.

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
I changed my configs so I can check the UU-Matter recipes on NEI.
Five UU gives you 48 Chiseled Stone Bricks! Didn't know that!

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I was poking around in NEI, and discovered much to my delight that I can use lime dye and milk in a Factorization crystalizer to make slime balls! Like... a runny sort of sticky cheese, I suppose? No more mucking about with slime farms!

What have you discovered that came as a most pleasant surprise?

I couldn't find slimes for the LONGEST time, so I started trying to learn beekeeping because I saw a recipe for slimeballs from one of the combs, but I was having bad luck. Then many frustrating hours later, I stumbled across the lime dye thing in NEI and had to start up a factorization setup to get them that way :)