What cool little thing have you discovered today?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I just discovered that certain blocks placed around the Thaumcraft 4 Research Table will cause it to regenerate research points on its own. I always thought it was dependant on the biome(didn't it used to be like that way back?)

Apparently Crystal Clusters, Bookshelfs and Brain in a Jars are the go to, but perhaps also Infused stones, grass, fire, water source blocks, lava, placed redstone dust and repeaters work.

All of these placed within a 8 block radius(Y-level too) will over time(it has a chance to add every time it scans for items apparently) start adding bonus regenerations to research aspects. Some obvious(like crystals), other random it seems(book shelfs and brains).

Pretty neat and lazy way of supplementing your research points with not only primal, but also compound aspects!

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Never looked into it before but just dove in and grabbed the numbers, it seems there are two types of bonus aspects, one that will max at one bonus aspect and a few rare bonuses that seem like they can stack multiple bonus points at once. Every aspect has a random chance too, a 1 in n chance so the higher number I put with something the worse, a 20 will give you 2x less points than a 10 and so forth. Uses materials and not specific items for non-ore/crystal capped, see here for more details.

• Normal bonuses, limited to a max of one point stored at a time
    • Any Infused Stone: 20, counts towards respective primal
    • Any Crystal Cluster: 10, counts towards respective primal
    • Fire: 20, Ignis
    • Lava: 20, Ignis
    • Dirt: 20, Terra
    • Water: 15, Aqua
    • Piston: 20, Ordo
    • Redstone: 20, Ordo, Includes a lot of random junk including heads and torches apparently, the wiki calls it Non-Solid
  • Uncapped bonuses, allow increasing past one point stored at a time
    • Bookshelf: 300, I think any aspect at random
    • Brain in a jar: 200, same options as bookshelves
    • Being unable to see the sky at night with light level <4: 20, Perditio
    • Being higher than Y 128: 20, Aer
    • Being higher than Y 168: 20, Aer
    • Being higher than Y 192: 20, Aer
Yes you can get multiple points at once, in theory with enough bookshelves or brains you could get to the point where you don't need to scan for research points except for primal ones for easy researches.

Reactions: Quayludious

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Uncapped bonuses, allow increasing past one point stored at a time
  • Bookshelf: 300, I think any aspect at random
  • Brain in a jar: 200, same options as bookshelves
Just to make sure people get the strength of these, then if I understand this and the other sources I have found correctly, these objects will have a 1 in n'th chance every 30 sec(every scan for new items) of adding ANOTHER aspect regen. This means that they will over time accumulate loads of regens. (It is for this reason also important to plan out where your table is to be placed in advance I suppose, as I think you will be starting over if you move it)

Added 5 bookshelfs and 4 Brain in a Jars earlier today(had some crystal clusters before for my infusion stabilisation that were in range, adding some primals) and already up to 26 aspects that are regenerating.

Last edited:

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
Still finding stuff that is affected by torcherino. Found a big one.

ProjectE energy collectors, anti-matter relays, and condensers.

I now have a power flower that is creating an octuple compressed cobblestone (at over 43 million EMC each) every few seconds with two super compressed torcheinos managing it.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Just to make sure people get the strength of these, then if I understand this and the other sources I have found correctly, these objects will have a 1 in n'th chance every 30 sec(every scan for new items) of adding ANOTHER aspect regen. This means that they will over time accumulate loads of regens. (It is for this reason also important to plan out where your table is to be placed in advance I suppose, as I think you will be starting over if you move it)

Added 5 bookshelfs and 4 Brain in a Jars earlier today(had some crystal clusters before for my infusion stabilisation that were in range, adding some primals) and already up to 26 aspects that are regenerating.
Note that the bonus points are stored per research table, so having multiple research tables in the area means you can have that many sets of bonus points stored.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Still finding stuff that is affected by torcherino. Found a big one.

ProjectE energy collectors, anti-matter relays, and condensers.

I now have a power flower that is creating an octuple compressed cobblestone (at over 43 million EMC each) every few seconds with two super compressed torcheinos managing it.
Think that's crazy? Try it with maxed out (256x) ChromatiCraft tile accelerators. You can absolutely wreck through the EMC generation, then.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Rediscovered the late Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil. Tacked on Circle of Eight because the base game just doesn't have enough in it. I've forgotten just how effing brutal the random encounters can be. Sending a duo of sea hags backed up by 3-4 koapacinths and the same number of water snakes against a level 7 party is just absurd. I will overcome, but that doesn't stop me from getting majorly pissed off, since it seems to enjoy doing this with every other random encounter. My party's good, but they aren't that good.

Mordenkainen

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that the tinkers construct smeltery can share structure blocks with other smelteries allowing for more compact multi smeltery setups. In fact, they can share seared tanks too, so you can have a single seared tank fueling two smelteries.

Perhaps this is well known... But it was new to me!

Last edited:
Reactions: JustHeyo

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I discovered that the tinker construct smeltery can share structure blocks with other smelteries allowing for more compact multi smeltery setups. In fact, they can share seared tanks too, so you can have a single seared tank fueling two smelteries.

Be careful doing that, it's been known to get buggy sometimes, seen drains thinking they're a part of the wrong smeltery for example.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I discovered that the tinkers construct smeltery can share structure blocks with other smelteries allowing for more compact multi smeltery setups. In fact, they can share seared tanks too, so you can have a single seared tank fueling two smelteries.

Did I see the other day that you can make smelteries in shapes other than 3x3 now? I swear I saw it on a let's play the other day but I couldn't get a good look at it.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Did I see the other day that you can make smelteries in shapes other than 3x3 now? I swear I saw it on a let's play the other day but I couldn't get a good look at it.
Yes, they still have to be rectangular but they can be from 1x1 to 7x7 internally.