Thermal Expansion Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
And as he said, a mod is not just about functionality. Yes you can replace the power network with kinesis pipes... but as has been proven, reproven, and confirmed again and again is that they just do not work the same and one is far laggier than the other. Things are getting better but there is 0 replacement for conduits and energy cells.

IC3 may be improving but their power system is as banjaxed as it ever was, even moreso now.. at least before if you plugged a machine in it would either blow up or be fine, and if it was fine you knew that it would continue to be fine until you fucked around with the power source. Now you can plug it in, watch it be fine, and then blow up for some stupid assed reason.

I don't play much on 1.6 mainly for the lack of TE and MFR. I originally felt the same about RP2 when moving to 1.5.2, but got over it, as I knew I would be spending a LOT of time waiting for it. But now, we know there is an official fork (which PC is aware and happy with) for MFR, and TE is being worked on, both by modders that don't pull dissapearing acts I feel that I can wait. And yeah, I may screw around with 1.6 until then, but in no way do I expect to have more fun than I did in 1.5.2, which imo, is the best version modded minecraft has ever had.

1. Install Minecraft 1.6.2/1.6.4
2. Add the mods that are listed here as alternatives
3. Test the builds that you are concerned about
4. If it doesn't work, try to find another solution with the mods you have
5. AFTER that, if it still doesn't work, start complaining

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I don't play much on 1.6 mainly for the lack of TE and MFR.

MFR has been updated. I'm using it now on my 1.6.4 server.

1. Install Minecraft 1.6.2/1.6.4
2. Add the mods that are listed here as alternatives
3. Test the builds that you are concerned about
4. If it doesn't work, try to find another solution with the mods you have
5. AFTER that, if it still doesn't work, start complaining

C'mon, man. Everybody knows 1.6.x mods aren't fully updated yet and still buggy. Birch's points are valid.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
C'mon, man. Everybody knows 1.6.x mods aren't fully updated yet and still buggy. Birch's points are valid.

FTB Unleashed loads what, around 100 mods? Can you list please 5 core mods, that don't have at least a stable Dev version for testing available?

I guess, it's just irritating to read something like "there is 0 replacement for conduits and energy cells", when the last pages were listing alternatives. Or something like "OMGWTF, we can't build xyz anymore" and as the next sentence " ... ahem, I haven't played much 1.6.2 yet ...".
And maybe I'm just a bit grumpy because it was a long week, sorry about that. Thank god it's Friday. :):)

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Holy crap everyone, you can let this thread die, it's okay. ;)

I also agree with the sentiment that there are other mods that fill the same basic functionality as TE. I think I could make a fair argument about the elegance of the alternatives, but I'd outright lying if I said there weren't any.

And they're GOOD. Use them.

If anything, I feel like taking a break from TE has helped the community a ton, as it has allowed a bunch of new devs to come in with their ideas. Churn is a good thing.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
Holy crap everyone, you can let this thread die, it's okay. ;)

I also agree with the sentiment that there are other mods that fill the same basic functionality as TE. I think I could make a fair argument about the elegance of the alternatives, but I'd outright lying if I said there weren't any.

And they're GOOD. Use them.

If anything, I feel like taking a break from TE has helped the community a ton, as it has allowed a bunch of new devs to come in with their ideas. Churn is a good thing.

Dear KL,

For a person who says they primarily build mods for themselves, thank you for for the attention and goodwill you bring to the user community. You set the bar very high for the rest of them ... and us. You truly are a prince.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
Dear KL,

For a person who says they primarily build mods for themselves, thank you for for the attention and goodwill you bring to the user community. You set the bar very high for the rest of them ... and us. You truly are a prince.

Or, you know, a king. ^.^

Love the mod and look forward to seeing the new version it as it develops.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
MFR has been updated. I'm using it now on my 1.6.4 server.

I'm going to agree on you on that.But they are Not impossible to use because there are servers that are alive and using them so I know my CPU stupid problem have to be possible to fix without just backing up and repeating the problem over and over again. If I know what's did it then I can prevent it from happening in the first place.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The IC2 mods are listed as "Experimental" for a reason. Expecting an experimental build of any software, let alone a mod, to not have some bad issues is like ordering fried chicken from KFC and expecting it to be the same thing you'd get from a five-star restaurant. The energy net for IC3 is buggier than hell, I'll cop to that, but its a dev build, I expected that. No, doesn't make it any less annoying, but I know its a risk I'm taking when I agreed to play with the mod.

That said, until energy conduits return in their wondrous glory, I'll be happy with Ender IO's conduits and Mekanism's universal cables. Thermal Expansion is a fine mod, and I for one, eagerly await the day when its latest version is unveiled, be it a dev build or a fully-working product. Of course, I also say much the same for EE3 and RedPower. Hell, I'd happily be Eloraam's alpha/beta tester!

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
The IC2 mods are listed as "Experimental" for a reason. Expecting an experimental build of any software, let alone a mod, to not have some bad issues is like ordering fried chicken from KFC and expecting it to be the same thing you'd get from a five-star restaurant. The energy net for IC3 is buggier than hell, I'll cop to that, but its a dev build, I expected that. No, doesn't make it any less annoying, but I know its a risk I'm taking when I agreed to play with the mod.

More like the 5-star restaurant starts offering an "experimental" recipe, which tastes like crap. Fine, ok, people can just order the old recipe. But then they stop offering the old recipe.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Except this 5 star IC2 resteraunt has had this shitty chicken on the market since it openned, and no one did anything about it until now, where they experimented with putting a shitty sauce on shitty chicken.

Reactions: angelnc and RedBoss

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
It does seem like some parts of IC2 summarily went down the crapper since Greg was allowed to touch it. Though, I dunno if the energy net thing is his doing or not.

Reactions: RedBoss

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
It does seem like some parts of IC2 summarily went down the crapper since Greg was allowed to touch it. Though, I dunno if the energy net thing is his doing or not.
Once again i have to defend greg, although i am not a huge fan of his latest additions to GT. He is not adding any new stuff to IC2. His sole purpose is and was to fix things like proper use of OreDict, API inconsistencies etc.

Why people always associated changes solely with Greg just because the look similar to what he does in GT is beyond me. Read the "changelog" on the IC2 Experimental Jenkins and judge yourself WHO changed and added things (hint: Player and Thunderdark). Now of course they probably discuss changes all together and some ideas from GT might make it into IC2. But that is not necessarily a bad thing to be honest.
I am really glad they invited greg to participate in the developement of IC2 as he certainly is one of the better coders in the current modding community.

All i can say is wait till we have the final release before judgeing the changes done. So can we stop bashing IC2 now? I have no problem with constructive criticism but most of what i have read here lately is borderline insulting.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Once again i have to defend greg, although i am not a huge fan of his latest additions to GT. He is not adding any new stuff to IC2. His sole purpose is and was to fix things like proper use of OreDict, API inconsistencies etc.

Why people always associated changes solely with Greg just because the look similar to what he does in GT is beyond me. Read the "changelog" on the IC2 Experimental Jenkins and judge yourself WHO changed and added things (hint: Player and Thunderdark). Now of course they probably discuss changes all together and some ideas from GT might make it into IC2. But that is not necessarily a bad thing to be honest.
I am really glad they invited greg to participate in the developement of IC2 as he certainly is one of the better coders in the current modding community.

All i can say is wait till we have the final release before judgeing the changes done. So can we stop bashing IC2 now? I have no problem with constructive criticism but most of what i have read here lately is borderline insulting.
Not so much bashing as it was an observation. I like GregTech, minus the (going by default configs) stupid, unnecessarily grindy bits. I have my own reservations about Greg the person; I for one, am not a fan of his attitude. However, I'm willing to admit that he's a decent enough modder who, if nothing else, knows how to properly handle multiblocks. He also knows how to make a mod very customizable and configurable.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
This wasn't addressed to you only though. I should have made that a bit more clear i guess. Yes the current E-Net is not favorable but iirc Player said it is not finished yet.
But the current tone in many threads about IC2 is mildly put agressive, insulting and for me a shame for the community.
The latest additions to all major modpacks out there have often made things far to easy compared to before (MFR farm anyone?). Now if a mod team/author decides not to go that route there are many many doomsayers around to voice this and not very much people who actually understand, appreciate and/or like it if a mod is not adjusting to the trend. Having mods that offer an "easy" way isn't a bad thing but demanding that every other mod adjusts is. And i fear that given enough pressure some mod auhors will either abandon their mod or adjust to the vocal crowd.
This of course is just an observation on my part and a highly subjective opinion.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
uploadfromtaptalk1381606084901.jpg

Reactions: PierceSG

OlexaKid64

Jul 29, 2019
If you do decide to discontinue Thermal Expansion, at least give out the source code. Many of your ideas and machines are unique and so helpful like the energy cell and liquiducts. I can't imagine playing FTB without them. Thank you for all your work KL.

DaeDroug

Jul 29, 2019
If you do decide to discontinue Thermal Expansion, at least give out the source code. Many of your ideas and machines are unique and so helpful like the energy cell and liquiducts. I can't imagine playing FTB without them. Thank you for all your work KL.
Have you read any of the post at all? he's not discontinuing it, he's finishing up the TE rewrite and then passing it on to someone or a group of someones.

Status
Not open for further replies.