rhn's continued adventures: a build journal, guide collection etc.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome stuff as usual, keep it up. When I need quarried stone, I like to swap it out for torches using equal trade. It uncovers it all as you go further. It only spawns in forest type biomes. A good way to get clay too. Im sure youd rather have an auto miner get it for you though.

Reactions: rouge_bare

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Clay can be a bit of a hassle.. but thaumcraft and botania both help me sort that problem out. Excavation or equal trade focus (the former with a magnet ring or similar), or simply use a clayconia to make clay out of sand. Most packs I use tend to have Chisel's Marble, and i tend to use that when I need a white rock. Didn't think of using torches with equal trade though, that's a nice tip :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Clay can be a bit of a hassle.. but thaumcraft and botania both help me sort that problem out. Excavation or equal trade focus (the former with a magnet ring or similar), or simply use a clayconia to make clay out of sand. Most packs I use tend to have Chisel's Marble, and i tend to use that when I need a white rock. Didn't think of using torches with equal trade though, that's a nice tip :)

Also a very handy way to quickly remove entire buildings if you want to experiment with designs.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Awesome stuff as usual, keep it up. When I need quarried stone, I like to swap it out for torches using equal trade. It uncovers it all as you go further. It only spawns in forest type biomes. A good way to get clay too. Im sure youd rather have an auto miner get it for you though.
Yeah, I tried making a native biome controller world with flat terrain and it still didn't spawn any Quarried stone in the forests or Abyssal stone in the Ocean biomes(or I cant find them). Suspecting it is either keyed to overworld or to the terrain. And I don't want to quarry in overworld and I prefer it to be a flat world with no oceans/lakes for quarries :p

Getting it manually it not really that big of an issue. I knew about the torch trick, but going in with my Efficiency enchanted Advanced Diamond Drill from Gravisuite in "Big Holes" mode and an entire vein is gone in a minute. And it is actually good to get out and explore a bit and see the landscape outside my little base "bubble".

TPPI has Pam's Clay Spawn, which spawn clay veins in normal stone. So clay is not an issue at ALL :p You get tons of it through normal mining/quarrying.
I would have preferred that they veins would have been up in between the dirt and stone instead of deposits inside the stone to be more realistic. But it is blessing to builders.

Reactions: epidemia78

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Great work as usual! I love those reactor casings, those kind of builds are so inspiring. I would like to see you make a laser drill mining station or something. :p Soartex looks so clean, is there a way to add mod textures to it easily or is it a lot of work?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Great work as usual! I love those reactor casings, those kind of builds are so inspiring. I would like to see you make a laser drill mining station or something.
Are you spying on me? :p

Soartex looks so clean, is there a way to add mod textures to it easily or is it a lot of work?
Ehm I would think you just go here:
http://soartex.net/downloads/mods/
download the files for the mod you need and copy them into the main zip file for your specific modpack(or make it from scratch if you are making the modpack yourself). Editing the zips is rather intuitive, I usually do a bit myself(mostly changing and adding a few IC2 armour textures).
I really should look into it myself actually. Think I need to add a few textures for the mods I added.

Reactions: Linda Hartlen

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Are you spying on me? :p

Ehm I would think you just go here:
http://soartex.net/downloads/mods/
download the files for the mod you need and copy them into the main zip file for your specific modpack(or make it from scratch if you are making the modpack yourself). Editing the zips is rather intuitive, I usually do a bit myself(mostly changing and adding a few IC2 armour textures).
I really should look into it myself actually. Think I need to add a few textures for the mods I added.
No.... Why? ;) Ah thank you! That doesn't look so bad actually.

Skvapter

Jul 29, 2019
Please oh noble and wise Rhn, do not push yourself if you do not feel inspired, I've been through that faze many times and I'm sure it'll come around again pretty soon. Once you lose inspiration, you lose the will to continue. Take that from a vanilla builder, man it sucks when you're limited to X amount of blocks. Guess that's why Chisel's my soon-to-be wife. :p

Reactions: masterzh

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Please oh noble and wise Rhn, do not push yourself if you do not feel inspired, I've been through that faze many times and I'm sure it'll come around again pretty soon. Once you lose inspiration, you lose the will to continue. Take that from a vanilla builder, man it sucks when you're limited to X amount of blocks. Guess that's why Chisel's my soon-to-be wife. :p
My biggest issue lately have been that I have had long periods of time where I simply do not have the interest in setting up machines and tech. But I need those machines and tech to make building materials and handle quarry influx. And to actually form the centre of what I felt interested in building.

Reactions: Skvapter

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
My biggest issue lately have been that I have had long periods of time where I simply do not have the interest in setting up machines and tech. But I need those machines and tech to make building materials and handle quarry influx. And to actually form the centre of what I felt interested in building.
ikr The fifteeth time you setup up a mfr farm, or a auto 2x ore system it just gets to be annoying... :p Really though take a break if you must, your stuff is always so creative it must be hard to come up with more.

Reactions: pc_assassin

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
This should actually have been in with the last update, but it was getting a bit long and I decided to keep it out. I managed to set up some rudimentary animal farms(mostly for pink slime):
IqMDeU2.png

FJRqraA.png

Simply not gotten around to doing anything fancy with it all yet. I just needed the Pink slime for Laser drills :p
But it is simple and functional and gives me Leather, Wool, Eggs(added a collector after picture was taken) and mob essence now that I have swapped from Slaughterhouse to Grinder(I don't need nor want Liquid meat).

Lately I have been "biting the bullet" a bit and gotten around to setting up some more machines.
E7GKUly.png

This batch of machines forms a little metal workshop.
brYIFIU.png

It is made up of RC Rolling machines, IC2 Metal Formers, Compressors and Extractors. GT Plate benders, Lathe, Wiremill, Plate Cutter, Alloy smelter and Assembling Machine. All the machines transformer and overclocker upgraded and all the RC Rolling machines controlled with BC gates to enable/disable power to avoid standby power drain:
5ltASeZ.png

(Standard Gate on a Structure pipe enabling a Leadstone cell set at 60 RF output)

I am working on expanding the workshop. Atm. I am crafting Advanced Machine Casings to enable myself to upgrade my GT Industrial Blast furnaces. It is a slow and expensive process... All to make those Kanthal coils so the Casings becomes obsolete :p

It has occurred to me that I will in the near future need (possible large amounts of) creosote oil. Therefore I have chosen to prepare accordingly:
o48zqho.png

HEOfY5V.png

Really don't care what I am burning in the Coke ovens, as long as it produces large amounts of Creosote. So just burning Coal Blocks into Coke Blocks atm.(Just as good as normal coal into normal coke, but easier to distribute and store).

Lastly a bit of a subproject update on the abyssal ocean area base:
UY4w6LR.png

Playing around a bit with structures and also placed the first(of what I believe many) Laser drills. Still a lot of styling to do/figure out.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
You have magic mods in your pack?

A few golem with butcher core running about in your slaughter house will be a place where you can relax and see things die.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Some of you might have guessed(I also hinted at it several times I think) by now that I have been planning/working on a minecart transportation network around my base. I decided it was time to start doing something seriously about it.

The network is almost entirely made up of tunnels throughout the base with stations in strategic positions:
MRLtjdx.png

It is going to be a single track network with one long track with stations in each end, and then offshoots to eight stations along the length of the line.
QDyQP8Y.png

Been doing a lot of experimentation in my test world to prepare:
MhJ3oGt.png

For example to develop fully automatic cart spawning/despawning stations, direction dependent boosters and toggling elevator tracks which is necessary due to only using one track.

I have also been wrecking my head hard trying to come up with a system to choose destinations from to and from each station. All eight side tracks require two redstone signals each depending on destination, and I have a total of ten different destinations that I need to handle. Without Bundles cable support it very much seems like a nightmare to use ComputerCraft. So think I will actually use good old redstone circuits(Project red) and wireless redstone.

Made a mockup here of a system that can handle 4 destinations:
4VZZpkQ.png

Should be modular so I think I can just add 6 more destinations and as many button stations as I want. Not exactly compact though...

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
If it weren't for the elevator tracks, i'd have suggested using a train and Railcraft's Routing. I suppose you could do a little decouple/recouple when getting to the elevators, but there the one-track is going to come against you. I don't see an elegant/compact solution :(

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If it weren't for the elevator tracks, i'd have suggested using a train and Railcraft's Routing. I suppose you could do a little decouple/recouple when getting to the elevators, but there the one-track is going to come against you. I don't see an elegant/compact solution :(
Heh, I actually deliberately didn't want trains for this. I want it to be a simple system where I can just walk up, click a destination button, get in the single cart, get transported to destination and done. I want it to be compact and simple without need to worry about fuel and stuff. And yeah there are lots of vertical shafts where I need elevator tracks.

But god yeah it would be easier with Trains and the ticket system :p

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hey rhn, what's the seed and coords for your base?
Terribly sorry, thought I had already shared this info.

First I refer back to this post for the info on the added mods:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-20#post-790941
Then I need to point out that I altered the ATG setting from the FTB default to:
I:BiomeBlobScale=5
This results is double as large biomes within the biome groups ATG uses. So if the biome group is a Forested area, you get double as large individual forest biomes(say Birch Woods biome or whatever), but less variation. I did this to get less changing grass/sky colour throughout my bases.

The seed for the world is: 2054086111146207821

The location of my base is found at approx. -200, -470 (this is the location of where I started out in the cave at the foot of the mountain).

Map of what I have explored(very large Image):
gf1EQF6.jpg

PS: if anyone uses this seed and happens to find a large Glacier/frozen wasteland/snow landscape without trees etc. please do let me know :p Only managed to find a tiny sliver of a Glacier biome so far which doesn't suit what I had in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkriner1

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Small update on what I am doing:
Well, building stations and switch tracks.. A lot of them :p
S0tZGOa.png

sLE94sG.png

All the switch motors have Wireless Receivers under them(the switch tracks are paired up to use the same one, but wye track is a separate channel).

Thought I would share a few pics of the hidden "magic" of how I made the stations if anyone is interested in making some:
rirW3Ht.png

On the boarding side is it a Cart Dispenser with a Control track ontop, then a "Player" Detector with a Boarding track, last a Control track(could be any track, it is merely for some speed) on a "Any" Detector pointing down.
On the arrival side is a control track to slow down(not needed, just for a little bit of flair), a Disembarking Track, a Cart dispenser with a normal track ontop, and the block at the end is an "Any" Detector. I use an Enderchest to serve as a Cart buffer so no matter where I take carts to and from how many times, all stations always have carts available.

Underside:
hGxaSmV.png

The boarding side is on the left. When you get in a cart and ride away, the wiring will send a signal from the" Any" detector to the Cart dispenser to spawn a new cart ready for next time.
On the right side the "any" detector will detect the arriving cart and trigger the cart dispenser to despawn the cart, which is then fed into the Ender Chest.

I have also build an underground room for the control system for the network:
05fk45K.png

When I have made the switch tracks all I need to do is place the correct Wireless transmitters along each of the white wires corresponding to the destination. I have designed the network so that when station 5 is chosen for example, I just set all switch/wye tracks in the entire network to point towards that station(total of 8 signals needed no matter which station). This way I can use the same signal to get to station 5 from all the other stations.

So hopefully once I have all the stations and switch tracks made, all I have to do is click a destination button and jump into the waiting cart :p

Last edited: