Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
But wouldn't that technically be a modpack then?

Modpacks are always going to have problems. The FTB team are simply amazing at what they do, but it's very, very difficult to get multiple mods from multiple authors to play nicely, and there would (theoretically, ok) be far less of that in this situation.

And then there's the update situation to consider too.

Mod packs are comprised of mods coded by different people. With different techniques/ programing styles.

But a bunch of different mods, even a very large number of them, re-coded by the same guy or group of guys should have far less problems.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
It should be interesting to see what happens if Red Power gets updated. Some might switch back but many or even most might stick with blue power.

Still awaiting the clone that allows me to make this basalt generator again. Untill then, ill stick with Project Red(Compat & Intergration only) for having the most complete wires/gates. Bluepower might overtake it, but not quite yet :)

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing wrong, in any sense, of taking an idea and implementing it. Even if the implementation is a perfect clone of someone else's implementation.

There is a huge difference between distributing someone else's code and work without permission, and redoing the work yourself with new code, and distributing your work and effort.

I have not used redpower, or bluepower. I don't know, and don't care, if they are the same.

It's the work and effort of a different person, who put that work and effort into public access. No one has the right to say "I implemented idea X, so no one else can implement idea X".

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
There is nothing wrong, in any sense, of taking an idea and implementing it. Even if the implementation is a perfect clone of someone else's implementation.

There is a huge difference between distributing someone else's code and work without permission, and redoing the work yourself with new code, and distributing your work and effort.

I have not used redpower, or bluepower. I don't know, and don't care, if they are the same.

It's the work and effort of a different person, who put that work and effort into public access. No one has the right to say "I implemented idea X, so no one else can implement idea X".
Unless you're an American corporation just lately =P

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
So if i (theoretically) put all the work and effort needed to design, make, and distribute, it's totally OK to sell small models of buildcraft engines?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

So you'd be perfectly ok with me releasing my own version/clone of RotaryCraft, Mekanism or Thermal Expansion as long as I fully wrote it myself?
If I were to rewrite 'Harry Potter' or '50 Shades' and re-release that would it be ok? Even if it was manually rewritten word perfect?
If someone took your work, manually copied it before redistributing it as their own would you genuinely be happy with them?
Personally I'll wouldn't.
There is such as thing as intellectual property, you have ownership of your own ideas and concepts. If someone else takes that idea and passes it off as their own - without your permission - then its basically theft/piracy.​

Unfortunately there are no absolute/clean cut answers to this; especially given all our ideas are just refragmented work of other's ideas & stuff we see IRL. [for me] its a case of seeing if the newer concept/idea is unique enough to stand on its own (the differences between Mek/UE, IC2 and TE)- even when they are built upon the works of others, or whether they are too similar/outright copying each other.
The other side of the issue is context- why do we have 2 [almost] identical concepts? 2 unique entities developing as individuals, working together, or trying to push in/replace another. And what is the reasoning/motive behind the individual doing it?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
If I were to rewrite 'Harry Potter' or '50 Shades' and re-release that would it be ok? Even if it was manually rewritten word perfect?
Strawman.

That would be more analogous to re-typing the code for those mods word for word.

If someone was given the rough sketch of Harry Potter and decided to re-write it, while avoiding anything that has been legally trademarked or copywrited, that would be legitimate. In fact it happens all the time.

Let me tell you all about my totally unique Perry Hotter series of novels. They're a bit...risqué, I'll warn you in advance.

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
Strawman.

That would be more analogous to re-typing the code for those mods word for word.

If someone was given the rough sketch of Harry Potter and decided to re-write it, while avoiding anything that has been legally trademarked or copywrited, that would be legitimate. In fact it happens all the time.

Let me tell you all about my totally unique Perry Hotter series of novels. They're a bit...risqué, I'll warn you in advance.
http://www.academagia.com

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012

Avoiding anything 'legally trademarked or copyrighted' would entail redesigning and reworking to the point of creating a new piece sufficiently different to entail it as a unique work, even if it shares a lot with the original.
A good mod example of this would be [MC 1.4.5] Thermal Expansion and IC2, both mods were similar to the point when 'Whats TE? - Its IC2 for buildcraft power.' were common statements, yet both are unique enough to be recognised as their own creations.
Gendustry and Extra Bees feels like a closer pairing than TE/IC2, ect...​

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Avoiding anything 'legally trademarked or copyrighted' would entail redesigning and reworking to the point of creating a new piece sufficiently different to entail it as a unique work, even if it shares a lot with the original.
Yep and I'll leave the precedents and such to lawyers :)

But if I ever wanted to essentially copy the "experience" of a mod, without copying its code or assets (media), I'd feel very comfortable doing so. Well, insofar as I feel comfortable being yelled at by specific mod authors and whatnot anyway, which isn't terribly comfortable. I don't like being yelled at :(

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Copying the experience and aesthetic of a mod is not illegal. Directly copying the code or artwork is. End of story. That's why there are tons of MC/Terraria clones out there but only the ones that directly take artwork get removed.

Doesn't really matter if it's right, or if a mod author might get pissed. We're talking on whether or not it should be allowed and it should be. If Eloraam actually made RP3 BluePower would instantly die.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And this was never a discussion about legality- it was about morality.

Legal stuff is boring, and generally involves exploiting loopholes to achieve/justify a certain end regardless of if it being right or wrong.
Possibly, but morality is subjective.

I think its completely ethical for someone to clone, say, RedPower from top to bottom under any circumstances. In fact I feel its a primary driver of how mods evolve. However a lot of people feel strongly against this.

We could all bring a bunch of reasons to the table to back up our respective arguments but I don't think anyone's mind would really change.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Personally I'd say the primary driver is creating unique and interesting content to captivate and inspire your audience.
- if we only ever re/made the same stuff then nothing would grow and evolve.

I kinda agree with that last point though, we're probably not going to change anyone's mind here- but hopefully we got a lot of people thinking/questioning the issue at hand.

Reactions: RedBoss

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
A lot of people think major historical inventions were a spark of unique, pure brilliance, when in truth, they're frequently just one stepping stone in a long line of small, incremental breakthroughs.

When someone clones a mod, its never a full clone. Its because someone said "I like X% of this, but I think I can do Y% better, " where X and Y are often 99 and 1 respectively.

There's no reason we shouldn't allow incremental improvements. Granted the term "improvement" itself is subjective: a lot of these won't pan out as true improvements, but it only takes one success to bring everyone a step forward.

The minecraft modding community itself is built around the idea of someone creating a thing (Minecraft) and someone else saying to themselves, "I think I can borrow that and make it even better."

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I agree with both points; you're making changes and improvements, redesigning, innovating. Producing new content and driving forward.
Which is different from cloning/copying/trying to produce a carbon copy of anothers work.​
Agreed. I think the disjoint comes when people think something is a carbon copy without asking why the person would proceed to make such a thing. If it was a carbon copy, nobody would make it (except perhaps for the learning experience of doing a thing).

Reactions: Celestialphoenix