Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
So guys, i apologize if i didnt pay enough attention to OP and somehow missed the point of this thread... but meh...

Is eloraam working on her own game now? She shared about 17 tweets in 1 day about her new engine and its more then obvious she is thinking (if not already) to move there.

The most interesting/worrying... i will quote them here:
And for those wondering... The question isn't whether RP continues. It's whether RP stays on MC.

Moving to my own engine would put me in charge of my own destiny... instead of worrying that MS is going to change the rules.

Rest is pretty much as: Bla, bla, i have X - it work better in my engine Y.

I doubt she will continue RP but i no longer care as i have bluepower. So lets wish her luck in her own game/engine!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
So whats the difference between ripping someone's ideas/functionality into a [near] identical mod (such as bluepower) and just redistributing their mod/code without their permission?

I thought we [FTB] were against pulling that sort of stunt.

-Of course assuming BP has Eloraam's permission, then take the above as a philosophical question- as I've seen several similar things on this forum relating to other mods which do not allow redistribution.

Reactions: 1SDAN and RedBoss

Dorque

Jul 29, 2019
So whats the difference between ripping someone's ideas/functionality into a [near] identical mod (such as bluepower) and just redistributing their mod/code without their permission?

-Of course assuming BP has Eloraam's permission, then take the above as a philosophical question- as I've seen several similar things on this forum relating to other mods which do not allow redistribution.
I sympathize with your desire to clear this up, but I don't think this is the way or place to do it.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I sympathize with your desire to clear this up, but I don't think this is the way or place to do it.

Sent from my Toaster using Tapatalk
Which is a nice way of saying that instead of allowing intelligent discourse on the subject, a mod will sweep in and censor the topic in Nazi fashion as usual.

I too have wondered about how justified things are when a whole mod is completely duplicated but it gets ignored and bypassed a lot. Its very arbitrary in my opinion. Bluepower copies every concept from Red Power with no recourse, yet Simply Jetpacks gets threatened with legal action over flight. Its all very silly but we'll be shut down from talking about it soon.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019

What's this we crap? I don't ever remember being a we.

You should know the difference between copying an idea and code is that a good idea should be shared by anyone. And that once someone comes up with a good idea it's rather hard to come up with anything similar with out accidentally copying part of someone else work. And why should someone stop them selves if the originator of the idea isn't using it.
Code on the other hand is someone else's hard work. Time and effort they put in to developing it. No one has a right to clam that.

Blue power is a way of mimicking real life electronic circuitry using repeaters as a basis of there design. There is hardly any other way it could be designed other than how it has. What would you have them do change a few pixels around and call it unique?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
What's this we crap? I don't ever remember being a we.

You should know the difference between copying an idea and code is that a good idea should be shared by anyone. And that once someone comes up with a good idea it's rather hard to come up with anything similar with out accidentally copying part of someone else work. And why should someone stop them selves if the originator of the idea isn't using it.
Code on the other hand is someone else's hard work. Time and effort they put in to developing it. No one has a right to clam that.

Blue power is a way of mimicking real life electronic circuitry using repeaters as a basis of there design. There is hardly any other way it could be designed other than how it has. What would you have them do change a few pixels around and call it unique?
Well Bluepower is definitely a copy of Redpower

Reactions: RedBoss

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
@RedBoss It may well be a sensitive/controversial topic, but as long as it doesn't degenerate into flaming there is no real reason to censor it.

Personally -unless someone shows said permission- I won't use packs with "copycat mods" [In need a better phrase] just because it actually feels more wrong than those who redistribute without permission.
I consider the former 'worse' because the person doing it is trying to hide his/her efforts, passing it off as a legitimate work while taking credit from the original author. This effect can snowball if the resultant copy becomes more mainstream than the original [say if the copy allows redistribution and the original doesn't]. Compared to the latter- where is easier for people to pick up on whats happening, and the person doing it isn't 'competing' against the original.​
The latter could be considered a thief, but at least s/he's an honest thief- where's the former could be classed as fraud.

-that was uncalled for thank you- I don't ever remember being a we.

I understand the difference. If we were to take a different example; rotational power.
2 mods spring to mind- RotaryCraft and Mekanism Resonant Induction.
Both mods use a system of torque and rotational speed to transmit power and drive machines.
They use the same idea- but interpret it rather differently, both resulting in unique content.​
That is sharing an idea/concept.
IC2 and Thermal Expansion both have very similar concepts with ore processing and machines, but go about it in distinct ways.​

Bluepower seems to share a name, texture style and machines/worldgen ect with Redpower, it seems to designed to emulate Redpower rather than designed to be a unique piece.
looking at the screencaps on the BP thread masterzh linked you see volcanoes, tubes, marble ect all looking almost identical to RP.
If Bluepower is a way of mimicking real life electronic circuitry- why does it have those?​

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Well Bluepower is definitely a copy of Redpower

A copy of a part of red power. Red power that hadn't bin updated in over a year. By a dev that hadn't bin herd from in over a year.
The idea of making electronic circuitry in minecraft using redstone is a simple one. One that any number of people have probably had over the years. The form of the mod is using universal electronic circuitry symbols made using the repeater and torches as a base.
So should no one make a mod like that simply because someone already did. Can you imagine a mod like that and not think of designs almost identical to what she created?

The idea might be the same. But the code is different. They put in the effort to recreate it. They earned the right to have it.
And it's not like they are trying to say that they came up with the idea by themselves.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
But there's not. Redpower, as it seems, is rather dead, even though Eloraam isn't.

At the time Bluepower was developed we didn't even know if she was alive. He had literally had no contact with anyone connected to the Minecraft community in over a year.

Reactions: Dorque

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Why are we still talking about RedPower and Eloraam?
Because people jumped on the subject instead of the true point of what @Celestialphoenix was getting at. "So whats the difference between ripping someone's ideas/functionality into a [near] identical mod (such as bluepower) and just redistributing their mod/code without their permission?"

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Because people jumped on the subject instead of the true point of what @Celestialphoenix was getting at. "So whats the difference between ripping someone's ideas/functionality into a [near] identical mod (such as bluepower) and just redistributing their mod/code without their permission?"
Ah. Well that just gets into legal crap, so uh, I'll be sticking to lurking for a bit :p

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Because it's a simple question that just regards the liscence. Depending on the liscence, one is illegal and the other isn't, or both are legal. This doesn't require a discussion, it's just a fact.

Reactions: SatanicSanta