RC/ReC/ElC/CC Policy Changes

Luminary

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how this changed from "I'm updating my license" to a psychoanalysis session,
Godwin's Law is getting old.
It seemed like the time to get on board with another Germanic guy other than Hitler. So Freud it is.

No. I strongly suggest those involved in this debate adhere to the second rule of these forums
I shall edit to acceptability. Apologies.

Luminary

Jul 29, 2019
I already have, don't worry. ;)
I saw! But I am a proud rebel (lies), and wanted to preserve some idea of what we were talking about there.

Did check the rules a few pages back, but I thought it might be just sort of... ignored. Such things happen Guess not!
Glad I kept my profanity to a mild roar of vague Britishisms before this then.

Reactions: Padfoote

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
-long post-
I'm also replying to the series before that.

Your advice? It won't work. He's tried doing things like that before and all it does is blows up in his face. All of these rules and regs and attitudes are a direct result of certain portions of the community treating him like a punching bag made of steaks, and them a bunch of boxers (hehe, double-pun!). If he relaxes you know what's going to happen? His mods are going to go the way of the dodo as the past repeats itself on a dozen issues at the same time, and the ensuing drama storm will blast him off the internet making FlowerChild, Sengir, GregoriusT, RichardG, Eloraam, and mDiyo look like nice people that kinda got a bit of flak and a slap on the wrist.

I cannot figure out how he has a hate magnet that pulls like someone stuck a neutron star in his pants pocket, but he's honestly doing the best he can. Refuting all the baseless accusations with actual facts. If that causes people to dislike him or his mods, those people need to grow up. Letting this all go gives implied support to the detractors and spreads PROVABLY false information to places that will never see the light of truth. Take a look at what Velotican's insistence on spreading the rumor that Reika crashed with Minetweaker did. THAT RUMOR IS STILL AROUND! Look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/37z143/why_no_rotarycraft/?sort=new

The only thing giving up and playing to the mob will do is let the mob bully Reika. That is NEVER how one should deal with bullying, EVER. FOR ANY REASON. All it does is tarnish your reputation, lower your self-esteem, and let the bully win.

Edit: I criticize him all over the place, I try to improve policies and lessen reactions in an effort to smooth relations. I participate in these discussions, like the Update Checker and the rules updates in an effort to find a compromise that leaves everybody as minimally unhappy as I can and puts as little undue stress on things as is possible. I'm far from a yes-man, though I do have a generally positive outlook on Reika.

So trust me, if I thought him taking a less hardline stance would help, I'd be right there with you. But I've lived with bullies all my life, and all rolling over and presenting your belly does is give them a softer target to hit. The only thing to do is prove they don't control you and prove them wrong when possible.

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing giving up and playing to the mob will do is let the mob bully Reika. That is NEVER how one should deal with bullying, EVER. FOR ANY REASON. All it does is tarnish your reputation, lower your self-esteem, and let the bully win.

I would never suggest supplication to the mob. They will always outnumber you, which is why spending time to refute every negative they come up with seems like an exercise in futility. Be proactive, be positive, and ignore them. They aren't worth the time.

My other suggestion would be to do a major documentation drive. That will make the mod much more popular than any amount of answering criticism. I've considered contributing more documentation in regard to Rotarycraft, how to guides, etc.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I would never suggest supplication to the mob. They will always outnumber you, which is why spending time to refute every negative they come up with seems like an exercise in futility. Be proactive, be positive, and ignore them. They aren't worth the time.

My other suggestion would be to do a major documentation drive. That will make the mod much more popular than any amount of answering criticism. I've considered contributing more documentation in regard to Rotarycraft, how to guides, etc.

My advice is to begin fleshing it out on the official FTB wiki. It is severely lacking in documentation there. What is present was incorrect at the time of its creation, more so now. If that reaches an acceptable level of documentation, Reika would be able to use it to point people to when they have questions on the functions of various things.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
My advice is to begin fleshing it out on the official FTB wiki. It is severely lacking in documentation there. What is present was incorrect at the time of its creation, more so now. If that reaches an acceptable level of documentation, Reika would be able to use it to point people to when they have questions on the functions of various things.

I certainly refer frequently to the FTB wiki, even when not on FTB packs due to the quality of the documentation. However if volunteers want to contribute documentation let's see where Reika wants it. There are two... other wikis that exist for Reika's mods, and I don't know which is correct.

Reactions: Padfoote

Luminary

Jul 29, 2019
Um, I'm looking, but I'm not finding.

The only one that even says the word 'Minetweaker' on that page is Reika.

I don't get people's aversion to what essentially amounts to making friends. I mean, take at random, say, Vazkii. Generally liked, I think. No mob has been played to. Vazkii never capitulated to anyone. They were just generally nice. They do not have to go into every thread to refute someone to their face. I'm sure lots of people dislike Botania, and have all sorts of misconceptions about it. I have seen it said that it causes lag. No explosion. I have seen it said that its interface is cumbersome. No explosion. But the gloves aren't thrown down, so nobody cares.

Be nice. Don't sweat the small stuff. And don't turn everything into a battle. And for god sakes stop mentioning all the manifest drama in every thread or reddit post where Reika's stuff is mentioned, thus making sure it's never, ever, ever settled, and never, ever, ever forgotten. And the drama and bad blood is always fresh. If one always makes it a thing, a thing it shall be.

If he relaxes you know what's going to happen? His mods are going to go the way of the dodo as the past repeats itself on a dozen issues at the same time, and the ensuing drama storm will blast him off the internet making FlowerChild, Sengir, GregoriusT, RichardG, Eloraam, and mDiyo look like nice people that kinda got a bit of flak and a slap on the wrist.
How?
Just how?
I mean, I get that this is the fear, I just cannot possibly comprehend how this course of events could ever happen.

And you know, if it is true? Then Reika is basically utterly powerless, and utterly screwed. And I see no reason why that has to be the case.

Reactions: SynfulChaot

Plasmasnake

Jul 29, 2019
I certainly refer frequently to the FTB wiki, even when not on FTB packs due to the quality of the documentation. However if volunteers want to contribute documentation let's see where Reika wants it. There are two... other wikis that exist for Reika's mods, and I don't know which is correct.

If I wanted to lend a hand and provide documentation to Reika's mods, do you think the FTB wiki would be the best place to do so?

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
If I wanted to lend a hand and provide documentation to Reika's mods, do you think the FTB wiki would be the best place to do so?

Let's see what Reika says. I make frequent posts with diagrams that I intended for helpful documenters to reuse in wikis, but that may end up being me. I'd be happy to contribute, and I'm partial to the FTB wiki.

I also think perhaps there should be a Reika-pack, for easy previews so a new user can try out the mods without needing to know how to mod. That may even help keep support requests down. If Reikapack is always up to date, support tickets need to be replicated in Reikapack first.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Let's see what Reika says. I make frequent posts with diagrams that I intended for helpful documenters to reuse in wikis, but that may end up being me. I'd be happy to contribute, and I'm partial to the FTB wiki.

I also think perhaps there should be a Reika-pack, for easy previews so a new user can try out the mods without needing to know how to mod. That may even help keep support requests down. If Reikapack is always up to date, support tickets need to be replicated in Reikapack first.

So something like a tutorial pack? I do like the idea. Toss something like HQM in there to give the walkthrough since the handbook isn't always enough for people. It'd be a lot of work to maintain, but perhaps worth it for whoever takes on the challenge.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Um, I'm looking, but I'm not finding.

The only one that even says the word 'Minetweaker' on that page is Reika.
Permalinks for convenience:

Lag rumor:
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/37z143/why_no_rotarycraft/crqxyso

Minetweaker rumors:
https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/37z143/why_no_rotarycraft/crs2mtc
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas...has_reviewed_his_modifications_policy/crus7mg
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/343qoc/working_on_a_new_mod/cqrlbw8

And to give you a sense of a rumor's persistence, the RR team has thoroughly revoked the stance that started the rumor - the current leader, Ryahn, has twice sincerely apologized, once publicly, and even gotten pack permission - but the rumor is as strong as ever, because once Velocitan(Blanking out the curse is still cursing) got it started, the "he looks reputable" effect took over.

Also, have a look at MonsterBlash's comments on all three recent threads involving my mods. He is calling my anti-monetization code - code that, by the way, I put in with explicit permission from the FTB team and have had several big mod and pack devs come to me asking for permission to use it themselves - DRM. Though it is indeed true that, under his definition, it is DRM - though I hold that his definition is excessively broad - his intentions are clearly more hostile than that given the fact he A) brings it up anywhere he can without provocation and B) uses inflammatory language.

stop mentioning all the manifest drama in every thread or reddit post where Reika's stuff is mentioned, thus making sure it's never, ever, ever settled, and never, ever, ever forgotten. And the drama and bad blood is always fresh.
New instances keep coming up. It is fresh. Not only examples like what I linked above, but one of those three mod devs I referred to earlier are still active smearing me when convenient, as is one of the streamers.

I mean, I get that this is the fear, I just cannot possibly comprehend how this course of events could ever happen.
Because it nearly happened before.

And you know, if it is true? Then Reika is basically utterly powerless, and utterly screwed.
Or I can keep defending myself?

Well, the wikia wiki is the "official" wiki, but there is no reason it cannot have its content cloned into the FTB one. And frankly, you can contribute to either, as the cloning can go in either direction.

I am somewhat averse to moving "official" wikis as that tends to just lead to confusion.

-perfect post #2-
Oh my god, you have a way with words. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
So something like a tutorial pack? I do like the idea. Toss something like HQM in there to give the walkthrough since the handbook isn't always enough for people. It'd be a lot of work to maintain, but perhaps worth it for whoever takes on the challenge.
I agree; in fact, had any of Reika's mods been on the "Mod of the Month" poll thingy, I'd have voted for them. In my post in that thread, I specifically mentioned Chromaticraft mainly because I know the least about it (and when I last checked, there were several key mechanics such as scrolling around in the Lexicon and boosting shards that weren't documented at all); but the same applies to RoC/ReC/EC as well.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I am somewhat averse to moving "official" wikis as that tends to just lead to confusion.

I can't say I blame you. If you do decide that you want to use the official FTB wiki you're able to select people to be "Mod Dev Appointed staff", which at the time of my departure from that team, it gave that person(s) the same powers as the wiki staff, allowing them to police the mods they're in charge of to help keep people from defacing those pages. Most of the framework is also already in place; some crafting templates would need to be created and the navboxes updated, but that isn't all that difficult.

The FTB wiki also got moved into the Curse family of wikis, which leads to an increase in traffic. Another method to get people into your mods based on how TomeWyrm got into them.

My opinions may also be slightly biased as I helped those guys over there for a while and know how much they want help documenting mods. :p

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I asked an objective bystander what they thought of this change and all of the drama concerning it, saying that someone created several addons to a game, and that for a long time, they did not permit any modifications to their addons. Then, recently, they had opened up the rules to allow some, semi restricted modifications, but that whoever wanted to modify the addon had to run it by the author. I then said that people had whined that spending 5-10 minutes to ask permission was an issue, as well as the fact that some people wanted totally open permissions. Their response? "People are twits and always have been. The author is well within his rights to do whatever he wants, as it is his stuff to work with. Those people can shove off." Verbatim quote, minus some swearing. So, just wanted to say what the situation looks like to an outside, objective person. Keep that in mind going forward.

Psygantic

Jul 29, 2019
New instances keep coming up. It is fresh. Not only examples like what I linked above, but one of those three mod devs I referred to earlier are still active smearing me when convenient, as is one of the streamers.

This is hard to watch, Reika. Your impending burnout seems tragically inevitable, but it's all so avoidable. You're in a feedback loop. It's not "your fault," but it also wouldn't exist without your participation.

No one in the world is nearly as invested in your creation as you are. People are going to have thoughtless, ignorant opinions no matter what you do - not because they're childish or mean or stupid (necessarily), but because it just isn't as important to them as it is to you. Not only is it useless to argue with or fight against someone who hasn't put 1/1000000th the thought into the subject as you have, it often makes them reflexively dig in to their position and fight back anyway.

That adage about not feeding the trolls? It's no joke. Normal Joe has a negative thought about something, whips off a post on the Internet, and promptly forgets about it. But when the creator takes the time to craft a thoughtful (or critical, or derisive) response, it gets resurrected. And that signals that it must be important, so many more people get involved. And they jot down their own knee-jerk quips. And it snowballs.

It doesn't have to be that way. Just let other people's casual negativity die of neglect. Make the mod you want to play, and interact with others who do too. You'll be happier, and we'll get to see more of your stuff rather than you getting crushed by the negativity singularity you're helping to create.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
That adage about not feeding the trolls? It's no joke. Normal Joe has a negative thought about something, whips off a post on the Internet, and promptly forgets about it. But when the creator takes the time to craft a thoughtful (or critical, or derisive) response, it gets resurrected. And that signals that it must be important, so many more people get involved. And they jot down their own knee-jerk quips. And it snowballs.

It doesn't have to be that way. Just let other people's casual negativity die of neglect. Make the mod you want to play, and interact with others who do too. You'll be happier, and we'll get to see more of your stuff rather than you getting crushed by the negativity singularity you're helping to create.
I am getting tired of people saying over and over and over that if I just ignored all this it would go away despite repeated evidence to the contrary both in the form of past experience and the fact I and others have pointed to others deliberately keeping it alive.

It did not happen before, and the community is more hostile to me than ever before. What makes you think it will happen now?

Psygantic

Jul 29, 2019
It did not happen before, and the community is more hostile to me than ever before. What makes you think it will happen now?

Well, for starters take the fact that I was content to offer my opinion and be done, but now I'm back defending my position because you challenged me. :) Kind of a perfect example.

I would really like to see more packs featuring your mods, not fewer. More modpacks means more choices and more opportunity for well-made packs to overshadow the poorly-conceived and poorly-configured ones. Any kind of barrier you mandate will diminish that.

totalhamman

Jul 29, 2019
Reika, I just want to say thank you for all the hard work you do.

I was very hesitant to add RotaryCraft to the custom Direwolf20 pack my son and I play (super private, no public or private listing at all) based on the rumors, etc.

However I took the plunge and had more fun figuring out optimal setups for the Extractor, Fractionation Unit, Bedrock Breaker and others than I have had since I first tried modded with MadPack 1. Keep doing what you are doing with making brilliant mods that require planning and thinking.

Time for me to add ChromatiCraft, start a new world, and try not to blow myself up too much (darn Jet Engines...)

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Keep the name calling out of this. Reika is getting a response from the community on his new policy, not going out of his way to cause problems. I've cleaned up the last few incidents. Knock it off.