Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Well, at least we get one more version of modded minecraft, assuming all the modders don't leave, now that 1.8 is the vanilla version and development for previous versions has stopped.

I wouldn't be too certain of that, it has been said many times that mods for 1.8 are going to require a vast amount of work. If the future looks the least bit bleak (and I think it does, my opinion), I don't think you are going to find many modders willing to put that vast amount of work into what may be a total dead end. Time will tell. I'm a pessimist at heart in most things, this "thing" here is no different.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I've never disliked Microsoft, but this news is disheartening. Notch admits it goes against things he's said in the past, but I honestly can't blame him. This community is certainly full of some vile individuals who blame him for absolutely everything.

I'm probably not going to quit playing or modding, at least not in the foreseeable future. Now that even the APIs are uncertain, my own work lately might prove more useful to me than I ever expected. But it's demotivating, to say the least. It's officially not an indie title anymore, and I don't see how a company who only wants it to boost mobile sales right now will ever focus half the same effort on the community, for years, for free, as Mojang has done.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't suggest swearing to often, However you maybe seeing my warning hammer.
Wait...what? I didn't even curse in the post you quoted. I know I may do it a tad often, and if that offends some, I do certainly apologize, but...eh?

I just find it hilarious that people are leaving the whole scene over this. Its like hipsters abandoning a band's fandom because its become too popular.

Reactions: Bigpak

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't be too certain of that, it has been said many times that mods for 1.8 are going to require a vast amount of work. If the future looks the least bit bleak (and I think it does, my opinion), I don't think you are going to find many modders willing to put that vast amount of work into what may be a total dead end. Time will tell. I'm a pessimist at heart in most things, this "thing" here is no different.
Well, i wasn't really talking about 1.8, especially considering that it's still under development with snapshots and similar until 1.9. I was actually talking about the still fairly unstable 1.7.10 with its memory leaks, chunk ticks, and mods still working out bugs.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...what? I didn't even curse in the post you quoted. I know I may do it a tad often, and if that offends some, I do certainly apologize, but...eh?

I just find it hilarious that people are leaving the whole scene over this. Its like hipsters abandoning a band's fandom because its become too popular.

I quoted the wrong post, Should have been post 764546 not 764615.

People react to things in their own way, Just like I'm making fun of the whole thing.

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
I quoted the wrong post, Should have been post 764546 not 764615.

People react to things in their own way, Just like I'm making fun of the whole thing.
But Law, people might get offended :p

(P.s. thanks for closing and re-linking my thread to here)

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
But Law, people might get offended :p

(P.s. thanks for closing and re-linking my thread to here)

It's why most of the jokes are on my personal twitter which has nothing to do with FTB, Just like how I have moderation text / normal text.
If you get offended easily, The Internet isn't for you..
(not aimed at you btw)

Also you are welcome.

Yarma92

Jul 29, 2019
It's why most of the jokes are on my personal twitter which has nothing to do with FTB, Just like how I have moderation text / normal text.
If you get offended easily, The Internet isn't for you..
(not aimed at you btw)

Also you are welcome.

Then I must go find your twitter!

Back on topic, at least we can hope for some optimizations and potentially a port to a more stable language!

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I thought lexmanos was the one who originally started forge. So how can CPW delete it?

Ah thank you Qaz. Clarification no longer needed :p

Eliav24

Jul 29, 2019
There is still the underlying pessimism-driving question of where Microsoft are getting back these 2.5 Billion dollars.

kikisp

Jul 29, 2019
cpw was in charge for fml..big part of forge..without fml there is no forge..
but i think that he means that he deleted it from his computer and he wont be working anymore on fml..
honestly i respect cpw decision.it is about principles..he dont like ms and that all..

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There's so much more to worry about in life than these first world problems...

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
There's so much more to worry about in life than these first world problems...

Just remember some live streamers make a living off this,
To some people this is a real life problem and not just a game but also something that's paying the bills.

!MYOPINION! :p
As I said on Twitter, Best thing to do is wait and see.. Who knows what could be, just like Amazon/Twitch are already. Jeb/Dinnerbones could just keep going with that they planned+more with more support be hide them now..

The future is unknown and the unknown scares a lot of people.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
When I first read this, I was quite frankly horrified. But really...Microsoft is not that bad. Until the last couple of months, I have used Xp and other windows products for all of my computing life. And really, I have seen some of the code of Minecraft....it is a disaster. Where oh where did they put 2k+ lines of code for the anvils? The gui classes. Hardcoded. Not good coding practice. Look on the bright side, maybe Microsoft will add some support for multithreading. Yes, Minecraft is single threaded. So, look on the bright side, maybe they will be good for Minecraft. Also, most games that I have seen lately have built in modding support. I.e. the modloader come with the game. Plop the mod file into the folder named "mods" and you are done. Microsoft would be stupid to not notice that people actually like modding their games, and also that modding increases the lifetime of a game. So who knows, we can all not worry and be happy!