Opinions on Microsoft buying Mojang

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019
Well.
You know what makes me very optimistic?
How open Mojangs new owners have been about their intentions.
Wait.
Perhaps I'm not so optimistic afterall.

You want them to have a fully fleshed out plan (for public consumption) on day one? That's not very realistic.

Lawbroken

Jul 29, 2019
Well.
You know what makes me very optimistic?
How open Mojangs new owners have been about their intentions.
Wait.
Perhaps I'm not so optimistic afterall.
The start of this made me think I missed something important, However soon released you were using sarcasm at 'wait'.[DOUBLEPOST=1410791230][/DOUBLEPOST]
You want them to have a fully fleshed out plan (for public consumption) on day one? That's not very realistic.
This is right, They should have a plan before day one... Don't spent 2.5billion on something that you don't have a future plan for... lol.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
The start of this made me think I missed something important, However soon released you were using sarcasm at 'wait'.[DOUBLEPOST=1410791230][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is right, They should have a plan before day one... Don't spent 2.5billion on something that you don't have a future plan for... lol.
or notch strong-armed them into giving away 2.5 billion so he could get away from his fame

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

I would, if I had it to spend... :D

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019

They paid $2.5b for Mojang. If they don't have a plan they're bloody stupid. Their lack of communication is just Microsoft being the usual last century behemoth that continues to utterly fail at doing anything clever. Minecraft in the hands of an organization so out of touch? Yay.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Hmm, makes me wonder if I should switch to Multi-MC instead of vanilla launcher...

Banedon

Jul 29, 2019
They paid $2.5b for Mojang. If they don't have a plan they're bloody stupid. Their lack of communication is just Microsoft being the usual last century behemoth that continues to utterly fail at doing anything clever. Minecraft in the hands of an organization so out of touch? Yay.

They probably have a plan...in general, sure. But one that's specific enough to share publicly? No.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just want to post to Markus Persson: Thank you for all you have given us, and please enjoy the rest of your life, you've earned it!

I'm not gonna say anything more about the deal, because I've already spoken my mind on it earlier in the thread and nothing has changed about that. All I want to do is thank Markus for the wonderful game he built and blessed the world with, to enjoy and bring smiles to people's faces. And he did just that.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I really hope everyone relaxes and just go with the flow and see what happens. I just worry about what some people will do and how it will affect them however I think everything will turn out alright in the end. Microsoft just got a new CEO this year and I doubt he would want to be known for screwing up a deal for 2.5 billion dollars.

Now, onto my point of Markus Persson. I hope you have a wonderful fruitlife and enjoyable life and do not let anyone cause you any trouble over social media. I wish you good luck in your future endeavors. Have a fruitful and lovely life! You have brought so much joy to so many people. A lot of children adolescents adults and elders. You have revolutionized the indie gaming industry. You have brought so many smiles to so many people and helped people overcome hardships and let people relax and hang out with their friends. I have seen quite a few people with autism and other issues that were really helped by this game and it calmed them down and helped them.

I genuinely thank you from the bottom of my heart.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
They wouldn't even make an offer to purchase if they didn't have a plan.

I'm really not looking forward to dealing with Microsoft's tech support for minecraft.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
As much as I have a raging hate for Microsoft's tactics and business policies, I will wait and see what's going to happen before I make any decisions. I'm that kind of guy.
The worst that could happen? MS makes modding impossible unless you pay to use the software they sell you, and those mods must be posted on the Microsoft store, so they can be micro-transactioned to death.
If this happens, I'll go back to WoW, or Diablo, or maybe one of the shit tonne of games I've downloaded from Steam, but never got around to because I was playing Minecraft :)

Reactions: Bigpak

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
If this happens, I'll go back to WoW, or Diablo, or maybe one of the shit tonne of games I've downloaded from Steam, but never got around to because I was playing Minecraft :)
Sounds like me. What trickery is this?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well, I'm out.

This has been an amazing community, one that I was proud of being included as a member.

This has zero to do with any predictions about skies falling. This has zero to do with any assumptions about what MS will or won't do concerning the game or modding or anything else.

I simply refuse to contribute in any way to Microsoft. It's that simple.

I'm sure there might be one or two who will show up with some hyperbole or logical fallacy concerning that statement in an attempt to attack that position. I'm also sure I don't really care, because I won't be around to see it.

End Of Stream (Server has Disconnected)

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Well, I'm out.

This has been an amazing community, one that I was proud of being included as a member.

This has zero to do with any predictions about skies falling. This has zero to do with any assumptions about what MS will or won't do concerning the game or modding or anything else.

I'm sure there might be one or two who will show up with some hyperbole or logical fallacy concerning that statement in an attempt to attack that position. I'm also sure I don't really care, because I won't be around to see it.

farewell shneekey, we will miss you!

Reactions: pc_assassin

ThinkSlow

Jul 29, 2019
I don't trust Microsoft at all in dealing with Minecraft (XBox Exclusives and all).

And they haven't done anything notable of late with the PC Gaming scene, especially after the failer that is Game for Windows Live.

Given up on Freelancer (when was the last Microsoft Simulator?), screwed up Age of Empires Online, and many others.

They will go Xbox exclusive, many games have become Xbox exclusive (Sun Set Overdrive?), other indie games have turned to Xbox (Space Engineers have 1 year deal with MS).

It just shows Indie companies and those communities are not safe, when the owner is shown cold hard cash.

Not sure what I will do here on out, maybe I'll start to learn making mods via TUG instead? Or just go back to playing with Unity3D?

These types of deals fragment the community, rather than making it bigger, and that is why I have concerns of the modding community.

Minecraft to Join Microsoft(Thanks to JadedCat on twitter)

You noticed the microsoft/xbox guy says the PC last? Hardly mentions PC as well.

No mention for PC Modding community either.

Last edited:

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm out.

It's sad to see you go but I respect your decision and wish you luck and happiness in life. Goodbye friend!

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Well, at least we get one more version of modded minecraft, assuming all the modders don't leave, now that 1.8 is the vanilla version and development for previous versions has stopped.