Nominations for Forum Moderators

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I am going to say something risky. I heavily suggest someone outside of the forums. Someone with no knowledge of the mods or even Minecraft. An unbiased person whom logs on and follows the rules to the letter. Reason for this is anyone on the forum can gain bias. A totally independent person would hold nothing close as they would have no interest. Just doing the job. Thank you.

Someone with absolutely no interest in the forum would also have no interest in spending their time moderating the forum for free.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
There is a policy on every server I run. Every time you ask for ops, you don't get ops for a month. People who ask for authority instead of demonstrating they're worthy of it almost never do a good job.
I happen to agree with that the only people that seek a position of power are the people you dont want in that seat, this also shows its self by the most popular nominees declining, the people we see as best options for the most part are too busy or its a polite nty, so we as nominators & the staff are back to square one, but the issue will be resolved by staff one way or the other, I wait with baited breath to see the new forum mods, the work involved is kind of hefty & time consuming, but a respected position with FTB is a carrot that should temp some one out of the woodwork, ps maybe a couple of new mods, each with a section to monitor would cut the work load, like one for general & one for mods section seeing as these are the most popular sections, just spit-balling really I am sure this has or is under consideration, & as mentioned by some the idea of clearing the ignore is scary, that reminds me I forgot to clear mine after the events of last week :).

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Omicrom and Saice would get my votes.

However, I wouldn't want it to jepordise the quality or frequency of their posts (if they share ShneekeyTheLost view):

Every time a moderator speaks up, people are worried that their opinions will carry weight, even if they aren't speaking with a moderator's voice. How would I ever be able to build my walls of text under that kind of pressure?

Without some of Omicrom's posts I would still be digging with wooden tools.

Just my 2 cents.

Infallible

Reactions: casilleroatr

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
There is a policy on every server I run. Every time you ask for ops, you don't get ops for a month. People who ask for authority instead of demonstrating they're worthy of it almost never do a good job.

On most servers I play, people get banned for asking for that.

Omicrom and Saice would get my votes.

However, I wouldn't want it to jepordise the quality or frequency of their posts (if they share ShneekeyTheLost view):

Without some of Omicrom's posts I would still be digging with wooden tools.

Just my 2 cents.

Infallible

If people thought they would suddenly stop posting about things other than moderation, I don't think people would vote for them. Nobody wants to loose their favorite shoop.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
If people thought they would suddenly stop posting about things other than moderation, I don't think people would vote for them. Nobody wants to loose their favorite shoop.

Some forums forbid their moderators from having opinions. Because having an opinion or showing any sign of a soul is "not professional." Same as the customer service industry.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Mmmkay, perhaps I should clarify the pithy statement I made mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Saice doesn't generally get embroiled in hot-button topics. I have, on occasion, erected enormous walls o text and made a case for one point or another. Granted, I generally (though admittedly, not always) did so in a proper manner, however the problem is that I had an opinion and a view which I felt rather strongly, however polite I was about voicing it.

Just using an example of the latest hot-button topic, my opinion on Gtech was made very plain and clear. However, you notice that JadedCat, while she had her opinion which she voiced purely as *her* opinion, not that of the team, people still took her opinion as a quasi-official position with a lack of response from Slowpoke (at that time). The simple fact is: When you have the 'moderator' tag, people pay attention to what you say. And because you are a part of the 'official' team, it is seen as having more 'authority' than any random wall-o-text builder, because it's from someone official, even if they are explicitly just stating their opinion.

If I were, in a theoretical situation, a Moderator, it would be exceedingly poor form of me to make my posts in the manner I posted them. Not because they were poor debating technique, but rather the reverse. Because I defended my case so strongly, every post I made would have further reinforced the 'idea' that somehow the official FTB team shared my position. Jaded made one very short post with her opinion, and that was enough to spark speculation. Imagine what would have happened if she had expressed herself with the frequency and in-depth as I did?

Moderators have their projects. Lawbroken has a texture pack he is working on, for example. But that doesn't really get interpreted as an official statement because he isn't stating an opinion so much as working on a project. Jaded has a mod pack out. Saice's projects would likely be rather similar, if he were a Moderator. It is just my tendency to make a position on hot-button topics which would make me a less than ideal moderator.

I'm just a bit too much of a stubborn and opinionated cuss, and I love a good debate too much, for me to make a good moderator.

I fully concur that Saice would be an ideal Moderator if he is available, and fourty secondth his nomination.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I would recommend Booker the Geek as a tech support, or at least somebody to give a tech support badge to. He's helped me multiple times and his posts have quality.

No clue how active he is currently in tech support though.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
If it would make a difference Shneeky, on the last forum I helped a friend run for a bit, i enforced all mods to have two accounts, and not to reveal who they were on their alternative account. It worked very well for a few years until he shut the forums down :(

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
Mmmkay, perhaps I should clarify the pithy statement I made mostly tongue-in-cheek.

Apologies if my post made it sound like I was negative in anyway. I didn't intend it that way and I hope my quoting didn't cause you to justify your words. I completly agreed with your comments and felt it was a legitimate concern. Maybe should have structured my post better to convey that.

Infallible

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Apologies if my post made it sound like I was negative in anyway. I didn't intend it that way and I hope my quoting didn't cause you to justify your words. I completly agreed with your comments and felt it was a legitimate concern. Maybe should have structured my post better to convey that.

Infallible
Oh no, not in the least. I was simply clarifying my position because a couple of posts went in a slightly different direction than I had intended.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
@Chococrate, By de-nominate do you mean take back a nomination you have already put forward or mention some one you think would not fill the roll ?, the former I think (mho) would be fine the lather may cause a bit of a debate.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
First thanks for your votes of confidence in me.

But I would have to opt out of running for moderator. My career is in technical support and customer service (something like 16+ years now) as such while I could do the role it is not something I would want to take up as part of my hobby. My free time is fairly limited and while I can post from work I would not be able to volunteer as mod during those hours. Also as many might have noticed I do not have the best written communication skills. Also I believe I still have a black mark from a rule volition on my account here.

So thanks for suggesting me but it is not really something I think I would do.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
So now just Omicron.

If he denies as well we may have to look down the member list for people with at least 5 posts. (Some people make accounts just to ask tech support questions)

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
One interesting side-effect of these nominations is that, even though nothing has been finalized, I find myself paying attention to the posts of the people nominated even more. Maybe it's just a weird part of the way the human brain thinks (i.e. "oh I recognize this name, it must be important" or something), but even though I didn't really know about Omicron, Saice, and KirinDave, I started to notice them more and really see why they would make great moderators. It seems also that the general quality of posting (at least so far as I've seen) has improved remarkably since I first came back to actively browsing the forum (I say browsing because, let's face it, I'm basically a lurker with an account. :p )--I don't know if it's just the major debates settling down, or if the request for nominations for moderator positions has encouraged a widespread consciousness among the userbase of higher-quality posting in general.

Either way, just my own personal perspective. ;)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
& we are back to square one as most of the top nominee's are opting off for personal reasons, hehe its so true the ppl we want, dont want it, I guess they realize the work load involved the ppl we dont want are left :), nothing in life is simple.

Oh great forum gods lead us though this time of darkness, show us the light.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Being a moderator requires one to spend a lot of time on the forums doing things that aren't of the fun forumy type.
I can 110% identify with just how intimidating and undesirable that task is to most of those who frequent the forums in order to be actively social about a game they care about.
Far too often have i seen that when mods are recruited from the forum goers, that at least some of them will quickly tire and simply stop posting altogether. I hope we won't see any of that here, but that trend is hard to beat.

I was suposed to nominate someone, but when reading trough the thread i found they had already said no. so eh. guess I'm out of suggesstions. so good luck to the mod team in finding someone suitable.
-Cheers-

Status
Not open for further replies.