More efficient/completely safe nuclear reactor setups?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
If you really want an actual nuclear reactor than those 7 blocks 'micro powerless" ones how about this for a change?
2013-07-02_17.12.59.png

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Big Reactors mod
Yep and my server have that as well as UE addons! if anyone interested you may want to check my sig. Those can be as big as 32x32x48, and ho did I mention that you can also get plutonium from the waste?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Why not? It looks stable enough. If somewhat expensive and low-output for its size. But there's far worse designs out there ;)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Why not? It looks stable enough. If somewhat expensive and low-output for its size. But there's far worse designs out there ;)
It also has hardly any running costs (well, with an industrial grinder anyway. Then thorium is as cheap as chips).

RoloisRight

Jul 29, 2019
I'd call that the "Really Long Countdown Bomb"

Why is that? I ran it through the cube before posting it and it finished fine with no excess heat. The only difference to the outdated planner is it generates half the total EU.

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Fission reactor with 5x5 water and 8 9x9 turbines is what i use. It produces about 2.2k eu per tick.

Oh wait, we WEREN'T talking about atomic science?

Well, i'm not gonna be any help then.[DOUBLEPOST=1374675213][/DOUBLEPOST]
and ho did I mention that you can also get plutonium from the waste?
I thought it was "blutonium" in there?

Reactions: Mjw and rymmie1981

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
heres a quickie design i came up with.
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...hmj7uueelqi3rr1sased59qi3ecpaj1fxu0yk2bm4r668

2.67 eff, 240/t, 48 million.
modular x3, so can be started with just the reactor core at 80/t and 16 mil.

know its not the best in any terms, but if anyone has a better starting one that doenst require excessive materials, put em up.
bascially, i want one thats material cheap for the moment, dont care much about output for now.
if you got ones thats cheaper but provides roughly the same output, put em up.
cheapest vents/exchangers possible. (so when designing, if you can replace say an advanced heat exchanger w/ an overclocked or even two, do it.
focus on eliminating higher tiered materials, then on numerical costs.
will accept a couple condensators. no coolant cells. no GT.
also, i would like it to be somewhat modular so i can start with just the reactor core block, or one/two chambers, so i could potentially use one for portable power.

options ill consider:
Mr Zwis. reply #1.
Reddrum #140.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Output is quite nice for the cost involved, although 18 uranium per cycle is pretty wasteful. You should consider this reactor, although it is slightly more expensive; it manages 230 EU/t with just 12 uranium per cycle and also has no other running cost beyond that. (+45 copper +30 tin +12 iron -2 gold +42 rubber +14 redstone compared to yours)

The one linked by MrZwij is also good, but it has a per-cycle copper cost due to using multi-cells. If you're running GregTech that cost becomes much lower, but with only basic IC2 I'd say avoid multi-cells for the time being while you are worried about cost. Both the one I linked above and the one from MrZwij are taken from this reference thread for good reactors, by the way. Feel free to browse there; the designs listed are generally recognized as the pinnacles of (basic IC2) reactor engineering.

If you want to stick with your design, here's a possible alternative with some cheaper vents. (-64 copper +22 iron -8 gold)

JPonry

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.4.7 there isn't really a need to work in uranium. You can make nice thorium + plutonium cycles without ever running any uranium cells. You get thorium and plutonium in a easy to run ratio. You will get about 3x more EU out of thorium+plutonium than you will out of uranium.

Take this balanced design (consumes plutonium and thorium in the same ratio you get them from centrifuging):
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...tqm8ry4n3rdgai3yty5us10kbpppyf8ji8znssf1xklq8

I refined that 367 EU/t design from 5 chambers down to 4 chambers, so in theory you could run it in side by side or for bulk power generation.
One high speed breeder (2 uranium + 8 isotopes + ~60k heat) should enrich enough cells to run 20 of them full time.
Should require about 40 uranium ingots every 14 hours to run.

You could run them all in a row or all as a tower. Example:
Automated with routers and AE storage network.
http://imgur.com/a/4HrDc

Hey. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong here, but I swear I'm trying this exactly how it is designed.

It seems to be overheating the components... fairly quickly too.

This is for FTB 1.1.2 (for 1.4.7)

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
may we see your reactor setup? use the app to lay it out, copy the link in. also a great way to play around without making massive craters. s
on the same topic, you can make variable-yield, adjustable-time delayed nukes by changing the number of uranium/plutonium cells and plating you put in.
side note, i now have GT on unleashed!! thorium and plutonium forever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.