Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Way way way WAY too many photos to upload here, so I put them in a gallery on Google+. Our new base is coming along pretty well. Next projects include steel production and improvements to the smelting system. I also want to get into IndustrialCraft so I can power a nanosaber. Also, cow spawners for infinite books.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Since Bellaabzug21 reminded me, I figured I'd give an update. I just closed a marathon session finishing stage one of That Big Power Upgrade. I switched off the magmatic engines for good! We're now running a steve's carts tree farm which uses saplings to create biogas. This biogas is shuttled from the farm to our main compound via a railcraft liquid loader system, and is then fed into a parallel bank of 6 stills. These stills feed a 3x4x4 low pressure liquid boiler, which feeds 8 industrial steam engines.

The build was way more complex than I envisioned and it ended up being a total maze of pipes:
Screen%20Shot%202013-02-17%20at%201.10.57%20AM.png

My G+ post with way too many screenshots.

I'm also nearly done with my first legitimate full quantum suit! I'm about 6 iridium off. In fact the biggest thing holding me back from finishing is not my pitiful 5 geothermals driving an MFSU; it's my lack of scrap! But my EU generation is now sad and pitiful and I'm considering using the excess wood from my tree farm to power a solid fuel boiler running a turbine. Or I will just cowboy up and go nuclear...

As I may have mentioned, this is my first real extended SMP game in the mixed mod world. It's very difficult to imagine going back to unmodded minecraft...

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Planning on running more boilers? With that many stills, you should have plenty of fuel to spare.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know, that each still (given enough biomass + energy to run constantly) can fuel ~1.2 36HP boilers (at max heat)?

I didn't, but my plan is to eventually run a second smaller boiler to turn a steam turbine later to provide constant good EU generation. My goal is to entirely disassociate myself from lava as a power supply and be running entirely off one big Steve's Carts tree farm. If only as a statement of how absurdly too-good steve's carts logger is. It's like... brokenly good compared to other options. It even competes with dupebug forestry blockfarms, I'm told. I sure had to install some void pipes to keep from ruining everyone's day.

But I probably would have built it a bit over the top either way. Since our base is chunkloaded and I cannot login every day I tend to build my systems with a lot more robustness than you would in SSP. The only weak link in the chain right now is getting fertilizer into the fermenter... That machine is a headache and a half to automate. Maybe it's time to turn some routers to that problem.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
One SC tree farm can power almost 8 boilers, 3 solid one via planks (and the occasional charcoal produced from the sawdust from the TE sawmill), almost 5 liquid ones via biofuel.
The only problem is, that the mulch production from the apples is slightly too low to keep up, so you need to add either apples or mulch externally into the system, if you want 5 liquid ones.
Do you produce the fertilizer externally from enderpearls via GregTech? Or are you producing it from apatite?

Pharro

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so here's my question, how many fermenters would you need to keep 1 still running at top speed constantly?

I don't know how much to keep 1 still running, but when I setup my base I had 2 sugar farms feeding 2 fermenters feeding 3 stills. While the fermenters were almost constantly feed, the three stills often had to wait to begin their process.

Looking back I feel that I may have been able to get away with just 2 stills. So it might simply be a 1 for 1. But then again it might also depend on the type of raw material you are feeding into your fermenters.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
The only weak link in the chain right now is getting fertilizer into the fermenter... That machine is a headache and a half to automate. Maybe it's time to turn some routers to that problem.

What is the problem you are having Kirin? Pump fertiliser in the underside of the fermenter and saplings in the top. That's how mine is set up and works fine.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know how much to keep 1 still running, but when I setup my base I had 2 sugar farms feeding 2 fermenters feeding 3 stills. While the fermenters were almost constantly feed, the three stills often had to wait to begin their process.

Looking back I feel that I may have been able to get away with just 2 stills. So it might simply be a 1 for 1. But then again it might also depend on the type of raw material you are feeding into your fermenters.

Hmm it may be 1 to 1, gonna be feeding my saplings so that gives a pretty decent output compared to sugar cane. I would like to know what MilConDoin has to say about it as he is the one that said 1 still if always fully fed biomass could keep 1.2 36HP boilers running.

Mirality

Jul 29, 2019
I just made a video tour of my current base.
It's probably not too exciting to the veteran mod-philes out there, but I'm fairly new to this (both YT and mods). :) I'm "loosely" following behind Direwolf, mostly doing the same sorts of things but with different designs (mostly) and a different layout. Feedback is welcomed. (And I know it doesn't look like it in the video, but I spend way too much time making a generic GUI system to drive that CC control panel. But it was fun!)

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so here's my question, how many fermenters would you need to keep 1 still running at top speed constantly?
One fermenter on max energy (17 MJ/t) fed with saplings, mulch and water can feed ~4.5 stills. Use fertilizer instead of mulch to feed ~5.2 stills. Use apple juice/liquid honey to boost by a further factor of x1.5.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I had no idea that a fermenter was able to keep up so well. Thanks for the info gonna be helpful when making my boiler room and biofuel setup. :)

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Ok heres another question for all you out there reading this. What method do you choose to keep fermenters always supplied with both the catalyst (Mulch, fertilizer, ect) and the sapling/sugar cane? I tried Logistics pipes (The unofficial port) and it seemed ok, but there was a lot of item bounce and it was kinda annoying having some of the fermenters overfull and others not getting enough saplings to keep running. I used Managers and those work really well, but its kinda expensive and its harder to set up because you have to have 2 managers per fermenter, 1 on top and 1 on the bottom. So combine that with having to pipe liquid in, liquid out, power, and the 2 managers and you have 5 of the 6 sides which makes it very hard to keep compact. What other methods are there? What about routers? What is your favorite way to do it.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Multiple fermenters? How big are you thinking?
What you could do is having item tesseracts on each fermenter, so you will pump into the sending one and the receiving ones will grab their stuff, if they have enough space for it. This should work, if your production is big enough to keep them stocked. If they run dry, you could switch back to one :)

My single fermenter has a hopper with an item tesseract for saplings on top. Another item tesseract fills a squeezer with apples, with the mulch going into its dedicated chest and the apple juice feeding a buffer tank, which leads to the fermenter. Below the fermenter is an AqAcc to keep it stocked with water. When the buffer tank is full with juice, a gate sends a redstone signal to the AqAcc to switch it off, so that the juice can pour in. Then the AqAcc will start up again. From another side the mulch is pumped in (autarchic gate which switches itself on, wenn fuel level is <25%). On the third side energy conduits connect and on the last side the biomass is pumped out via liquiducts to the array of stills.

Dark0_0firE

Jul 29, 2019
I personally use tesseracts and either relays or hoppers. Simple but very effective and not nearly as expensive as managers.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Ok well Here's my planned setup. I have a large steve's carts tree farm going, it fits inside of a 30x30x20 room and is pretty much the best layout. I plan to try and run 9 36HP boilers off of it. As many off of biofuel as possible ( Which I am hoping is 5-6) and then gonna do a wood to charcoal for the rest of them. Gonna take the apples and squeeze them for mulch and run 1-2 fermenters with the apple juice as well.

I'm thinking if your numbers are right that (because of room size and everything else considered) 5 fermenters and 9 stills should give me plenty of play so I don't have to worry about running out.

I like your ideas about the tesseracts, Im thinking 2 tesseracts per fermenter? 1 for the top for saplings and one for the side for mulch. I will have a diamond chest for each saplings and much then a filter and timer that pulls out to a tesseract and then goes to a fermenter. Any extra saplings or mulch I will send to get voided.

Wood will come from the farm and then go to a set of a few MJ powered furnaces that turn it into charcoal, that charcoal will then go and get split up between a few different diamond chests that will be next to each of the solid fueled boilers.

So heres a few questions.

1. Sound like a solid plan? Or is there something that I am not accounting for?
2. Will I have enough saplings/wood from my farm to keep all 9 boilers running?
3. Will there be enough mulch for all the fermenters just from this farm?
4.How many fermenters do you think I could run off of appple juice in this case?
5. What is the best way to void items that are coming from a RP tube network?

Thanks for the replies by the way, giving me loads of ideas.

LastElf

Jul 29, 2019
This is mine from a week ago, only real change is working on bees in the courtyard and setting up a 36HP boiler in my basement running off BC fuel.

And as a special treat, a guy on my server, known for his insane builds has been doing this for a couple of weeks, while his internet speed was capped to 56kb/s (Australian limited downloads after a certain amount).

That is 256x256 and all legit. He's been leeching off me for resources and machinery and I set up an autocrafter for his stone blocks. Igneous extruder straight into a table and piped into a barrel.