Lets See Some Bases! Give Us a Tour!

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Looks nice.
But I simply cannot fathom how you can spend so much time on details and visuals and then have Torches EVERYWHERE ruining it completely :p

Use some Magnum Torches to prevent mob spawns or hide Torches in the floors/walls/whatever with microblock Covers.

Magnum torches are the best thing since sliced bread. And in my opinion, dark patches here and there looks better than 100 PERCENT MAXIMUM BRIGHTNESS

masterzh

Forum Addict
Jan 6, 2013
Slovakia
I can only assume 99% of guys has less then 1% of aesthetic sensibilities (no offense) or disturbing lack of "modern-ish taste" if you dare to even use that evil device called t*rch. After 5 years ppl still happily jump around and slap t*rches everywhere possible. I understand that in vanilla(?) minecraft you dont have too many choices but thats no longer a valid excuse as you have glowstone or even redstone lamp. But again, ppl are so lazy or tasteless for aesthetics that doomed t*rch will live forever...
da7e807e855ef73724dcc86dc7264650.400x240x15.gif

Speaking about randomness. Chisel textures feel so ugly to me. Maybe i get too used to mine but looking on screenshots with those industrial stripes and metal plates make me just scroll away faster.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my direwolf20 1.6.4 base on old server >

http://prntscr.com/31dalt
the operation center:
http://prntscr.com/31dceh

the back entrance :
http://prntscr.com/31dbi3

front entrance
http://prntscr.com/31dbwp

Impressive, just a tip press F1 to remove your HUD and unclutter the screen, F2 to take a screenshot which will be saved in your minecraft directory in a folder called "screenshots".

To get pics here upload to imgur, then hover over the 3 little dots in the top right corner of your photos, go down the where it says "BB Code", copy that whole URL and paste it here and your images will show up perfectly.

Goontar20

Jul 29, 2019
After spending hours looking through the amazing builds, I've become inspired to make my first ever FTB post. I will be the first to admit a lack of building creativity but I've been trying to change that with my newest world. Before you check it out, I'd ask you all to criticize the living crap out of it! I'm here trying to get better and the only way to do that is find out what I'm doing wrong. I'm more a technical builder but I found this beautiful plateau that just screamed giant castle, and so here is the result so far.
2015-11-26_11.51.01.png
2015-11-26_11.54.56.png
The main exterior so far. It may look flat but that was how I found it, I touched almost no natural gen blocks on the surface. There are some big caverns underground however. They house most of my tech stuff.

2015-11-26_11.51.24.png
My botania setup. Might not be the most imaginative but can keep up to even the most mana hungry flower. And yes I automated the nerfed thermalily because I felt nostalgic. They are setup on timers so that only one flower runs at a time, keeping mana outflow constant.

2015-11-26_11.51.49.png
2015-11-26_11.52.16.png
2015-11-26_11.52.40.png
My Thaumcraft area. It is the best looking build I have ever done and am quite proud of it. In case anybody misses it, I would like to point out (for my ego) the giant energized node. The lowest aspect is 20 and the highest is 26. Centivis/tick that is. Please help improve it though! I'm not sure what to do around the upper platform around the advanced alchemical furnace. Plus cultist armor is just so damn sexy!

2015-11-26_11.52.59.png
Blood magic tower... I can't build tower roofs. It is decidedly ugly and I think its my next project to tackle. Suggestions?

2015-11-26_11.53.56.png
2015-11-26_11.54.20.png
2015-11-26_11.54.40.png
Most of my visible tech stuff. I didn't show any behind the scenes rooms. AE2 is amazing, EVERYTHING MUST BE AUTO CRAFTED. Next one is my spawner room. Blaze, Enderman and Blizz are all set to keep 3000 of their respective item available at all times. Also manual switches and mfr spawners for those animals you only need a few of.

I left out my farms, pretty standard stuff. Mfr and ender IO. I'd really like to know what everyone thinks and please tell me how you believe it could be better! There is a reason everything is built from cobble. The amount of decorative blocks completely overwhelms me lol. So I decided to get the layout down first, then focus on the beautification after. Anyway, thanks for looking and remember, tear it apart!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Thats a pretty nice base you've got going on there- you've got a lot of interesting angles and geometry going on which is good for building distinctive and eye-catching designs.

Try mixing up a few more stone types- such as edging some stonebrick down the side/corner of a cobblestone wall, or mix in a few patches of mossy cobble to add a splash of colour. [see attached]

Blood magic tower... I can't build tower roofs. It is decidedly ugly and I think its my next project to tackle. Suggestions?

Leave it open- keep with the castle theme and put a rampart and battlements around the top.
If you need to keep the rain out try a clear glass, such as TiCon's glass or Botania's ManaGlass.
Thaumcraft area looks pretty cool with those suits of armour :)

Attachments

• 2015-11-21_11.50.58.png
    2015-11-21_11.50.58.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Reactions: rhn

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thats a pretty nice base you've got going on there- you've got a lot of interesting angles and geometry going on which is good for building distinctive and eye-catching designs.

Try mixing up a few more stone types- such as edging some stonebrick down the side/corner of a cobblestone wall, or mix in a few patches of mossy cobble to add a splash of colour. [see attached]

Leave it open- keep with the castle theme and put a rampart and battlements around the top.
If you need to keep the rain out try a clear glass, such as TiCon's glass or Botania's ManaGlass.
Thaumcraft area looks pretty cool with those suits of armour :)
Also, Chisel + Cobblestone = cheap but nice building materials. (at least with Soartex, not checked what it looks like with default textures).
iAfcp8p.png
Not done the detailing like you suggest yet. Considering doing them on the outside with microblock covers(if that is possible) for an offset effect.

Reactions: arthahar

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
Also, Chisel + Cobblestone = cheap but nice building materials. (at least with Soartex, not checked what it looks like with default textures).
Not done the detailing like you suggest yet. Considering doing them on the outside with microblock covers(if that is possible) for an offset effect.
Just had what I think is a good idea because of this.
use smooth stone for the walls of a castle but put smooth stone microblock covers over some so it looks like uneven blocks.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Just had what I think is a good idea because of this.
use smooth stone for the walls of a castle but put smooth stone microblock covers over some so it looks like uneven blocks.
Might work. Though smooth Stone might be too even a texture for the offset to be visible. The size of the covers would also make for some rather large bricks :p

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
Might work. Though smooth Stone might be too even a texture for the offset to be visible. The size of the covers would also make for some rather large bricks :p
Castles are known for being built from huge chunks of stone not little bricks anyway.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Castles are known for being built from huge chunks of stone not little bricks anyway.
Not 1 by 1 by 3 meter "bricks" :p
Usually it is actually quite small stones that are cut to interlock with each other.
But not "Stone Brick" small. Hence I why use the Chisel variant of cobble(with Soartex) as shown in the picture I posted. Nice and big bricks.

Reactions: SWC

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
Not 1 by 1 by 3 meter "bricks" :p
Usually it is actually quite small stones that are cut to interlock with each other.
But not "Stone Brick" small. Hence I why use the Chisel variant of cobble(with Soartex) as shown in the picture I posted. Nice and big bricks.
Stone size usually varied based on how hard it was to transport from where ever it was before it is used in a castle wall.
A larger size increases resistance to blows from siege equipment.
Castle walls were commonly built with a layer of packed earth and/or small stones between two layers of large stones.
So at least near the bottom having larger stones wouldn't be out of the ordinary

Last edited:

grizzlyatoms

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of bricks are that?
They are awesome and just what I am looking for. I hope they dont just look awesome due to the resource pack...
Yea, obviously a little late back to the part but the bricks i can't seem to ever break away from are actually colored bricks from Extra Utilities and my TP is indeed soartex. I hate SPhanx or whatever they are. No offense to sphanx...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
So I've been playing and thoroughly enjoying Iskandar's awesome Modular Mayhem. I finally reached the point where it needs showing off. This is all using the John Smith's Technician Remix. I have disabled Chromaticraft, and Modular Armor, and added Railcraft to the pack. If that's why anything seems different.

This is what it looks like from overhead, note all the power lines criss-crossing the place.

The view is from up here near the wind farm. The white things along the side are the completely awesome aluminum scaffolding from Immersive Engineering. You can climb one every other block, and it's utterly awesome.

Dead Center, with the clay roof, you can see the Pneaumaticraft house.

Inside, we have a pressure chamber, and a very complex looking plastic set up. It's extremely complicated, but once set to go, it runs flawlessly. Just have to remember to add coal before you start the system up.

On the opposite side of the well, we have the AE system. I'm just up to eight channels, so no controller yet.

To the extreme left is the tree farm, powered by Steve's Carts.

Bottom left you can just see the fluid storage. All this will eventually go to make power, but for now I'm just holding it here because the portable tanks were full. Got a few Aluminum Scaffold doing proper work as scaffolding and the ultra high-tech bridge over the track bringing wood to the power station.

Speaking of, while there's some income from the windmills and some from the watermills behind this one, most of my power comes from my tree farm, where it's converted into charcoal and produces steam in a Railcraft boiler. That goes into this Advanced Generator, and makes steam. It's not quite enough, but that's a flaw in my design, more than anything else. I will eventually manage to make a more permanent change to oil based fuels, and likely Immersive Engineering Biodiesel, or Nuclearcraft reactors. For now though, steam is the order of the day.

Finally we have the ore trippling room. It's slightly too short to reach the tops of the Magneticraft grinders, but I have a solution.

The answer of course is another mod. This one is Refined Relocation, which adds wireless block extenders. For the sake of efficiency, these are set up beside the AE connection. It's a little cramped, but it's possible to squeeze between an AE cable, and the adjacent Magneticraft cable.

And my favorite thing about the ore trippling room. This Engineer's Toolbox Modular socket, has a pressure plate on top.

Step on that and...

Sadly, it's hard to step on the bottom of them so, press the button.

There's more to see, but it's not ready for consumption. (Read, I forgot to take screenshots of it.)

H

hriggs

Here's my wip base. I still need to do the outer layers on the walls to hide the wiring and wall sections, connect it to the ground in places, and plan to use carpenters blocks to round off most of the currently square sections on the '45 degree' areas etc. Suggestions welcome.

Power room, 9x9x9 reactor hooked to 4 9x9x16 turbines, 5BR/F capacitor bank, and a tier 7 (2TR/F) draconic energy storage thingy.
XOwAChE.png

pGyMlra.png

SjolPY2.png

ME Controller and central intersection
sWmrN2S.png

OyeVwGZ.png

ME Crafting room
TlT7FNq.png

SRWpycC.png

qlYx71G.png

Mob killing room. Cursed earth spawning room on the right feeding essences to supply the auto-spawners on the left.
5mMLl4Y.png

Few shots from above. The tower is a quad MFR Laser drill.
pEf6YCc.png

Ie5pO2O.png

j1nQfAw.png

hNH7WSF.png