Idea: Tutorial Modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you like to see something like this?

• Total voters

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Not really they can just save a certain mod area and then mcedit those into the respective mod pack maps. There is plenty of ways they could do it so they wouldn't have to completely redo each map.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Now, that's what I originally thought, but still; too much effort and not really much use! Why create a map for each modpack when you can just create a map for a modpack with every mod from every other modpack in it. Seriously; this idea is void.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
As I said before, I think this would be much more enjoyable and interactive as a standalone modpack, in which players create their own worlds, and build the machines of using HQM to do it, as it can give a guide that you can manipulate, almost as if they were in a map

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
To be honest, I'd rather just have a book added to NEI for each mod that gives a very basic rundown of the entry-level concepts.

TiCo has three, openblocks has one, several other mods have manuals that pop up when you start playing. If you could just make yourself a manual for whatever mod you want to explore, life would be good.

I don't see how a specific modpack teaching you how to use core mods that are in basically every modpack would help.

Reactions: RealSketch

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like the books that come with the mods very much though I feel as if they are hard to get a feel of the mod with. I in my opinion I think I would rather do it myself than to read about it...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
I'm getting a mixed review on whether to do this or not in the forum, but from the survey, it looks like only one person disagrees. I think I'll hold off from starting it until I get a wider view of opinions.

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I would say yes but currently I don't have a computer to use from moving into a house and having no Internet so I've been using my phone and on my phone I can't use the survey, so think of it as one more person who agrees

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Well the hope is eventually we can have HQM configs available for download that are flagged for which packs they work with. SO people can pick the quest path they want depending on modpack and playstyle. But that will probably be in 1.7.

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't teach them about OP mods, in fact; I have just removed that mod from my pack as it ruins the aspect of the game and is too OP!
Maybe start with Adv Genetics, that is real teaching and actually relates more to real life...
Morphing....tuh....
I do this just to make it an "assisted" survival world. We don't want them to bog down, so we give them some bonuses.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I do this just to make it an "assisted" survival world. We don't want them to bog down, so we give them some bonuses.
That's...ok. But when they get excited because they think they're a "Supernatural-morphing-invincible machine" and create a survival world in a modpack without morph...they sure will get confused.[DOUBLEPOST=1397897963][/DOUBLEPOST]
To be honest, I'd rather just have a book added to NEI for each mod that gives a very basic rundown of the entry-level concepts.

TiCo has three, openblocks has one, several other mods have manuals that pop up when you start playing. If you could just make yourself a manual for whatever mod you want to explore, life would be good.

I don't see how a specific modpack teaching you how to use core mods that are in basically every modpack would help.
I would also agree on this, but I still don't know about the map thing. Many people have attempted this, many have failed. This requires time, dedication, a team, ideas, control, and most importantly; support from the forums. :)

I still really like the book thing though, but what's easier:
1. Getting every mod author to make complex books for their mod upon spawning.
2. Creating a tutorial map for a modpack with literally every mod in.

Also, in a survival world; getting 100 books given to you upon spawning is mad! What about inventory space!

XxSaRobz09xX

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think you understand how it cannot be a map in every modpack, due to ID conflicts, mod incompatibilities and mods that are in some packs, and not in others! A completely new map would have to be created for every modpack, and that would take ages!

I meant a different map for each modpack

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I meant a different map for each modpack
Please refer to my post way above.
That is insane! And would take ages! Do you even understand how much effort it needs!
Seriously, can you not see the simplicity in One Map for One Modpack with literally every mod that every other modpack has in it?

XxSaRobz09xX

Jul 29, 2019
Please refer to my post way above.
That is insane! And would take ages! Do you even understand how much effort it needs!
Seriously, can you not see the simplicity in One Map for One Modpack with literally every mod that every other modpack has in it?

Then focus on the main mods?

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019

TiCo has three four, openblocks has one, several other mods have manuals that pop up when you start playing. If you could just make yourself a manual for whatever mod you want to explore, life would be good.

FT4U.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Well if people want to learn the mod with some help, almost all of them have a tutorial line or getting started.I love the idea, but don't think it will be THAT useful. On the other side, I would not have tried skyblock without agrarian skies...

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, add a twist: don't just blindly walk them through, but force them to survive.

Basically, Agrarian skies for beginners. It will walk you through the process and give you some freebies to speed things up, but you still have to survive.

This way, you can make the tutorial very comprehensive but keep people interested.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, add a twist: don't just blindly walk them through, but force them to survive.

Basically, Agrarian skies for beginners. It will walk you through the process and give you some freebies to speed things up, but you still have to survive.

This way, you can make the tutorial very comprehensive but keep people interested.
Hmmm, that is very good.
I mean, if you make it boring and easy for them in the tutorial world; in a survival world they won't be prepared for challenges such as nukes, raids, creeper sneak-ups!