Idea: Tutorial Modpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Would you like to see something like this?

• Total voters

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Hello, I was just sitting around, trying to figure out how the heck to use all these new mods that popped up while I went on a break from Minecraft for ~5 months, when I had an idea. What if there was a modpack that taught it's players how to use each mod at it's most basic form.

I thought about this for awhile, and began researching how to do it. I think, probably the best bet would be to use the Hardcore Questing Mode mod, with the "Hardcore" part disabled (there is an option in the config). Using this would allow players to generate their own world, and would give them a line to start. Of course, the first available set would just show them how to use HQM, but after completing that, it would unlock all the other sets.

Each different set would have the user learn a different mod, such as an IndustrialCraft2 set, a Thermal Expansion set, a Applied Energistics set, a Thaumcraft set, and a Buildcraft set. The player would go through the standard FTB experience, mining their own ores, finding their own resources, but would have a guide telling them how to use the mods. Most of the quests would be crafting quests, allowing the player to keep his/her machines and experiment with them. Ideally, after completing all the quests, the player would have knowledge of how to use the simpler parts of the commonly used FTB mods.

I, for one, am willing to make it, but only if people want to see it. If people do want to see it, although I could do it alone, it would be excellent to have some help. So if anyone is interested, please post below. Thanks for reading all this, and hopefully considering my idea.

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
Count me in, this seems like something i could work on in all my spare time! Would be cool if this pack would get posted on the launcher!!!

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm.

I. Starting tools (TiCo, etc.)
II. World Gen (remind them to take everything because they dunno what they want to do yet)
III. Ore Processing (IC2, TE, Mekanism, Factorization, blah blah blah)
IV. Low-Tier Mod Components
V. Mid-tier Mod Components
VI. End-tier Mod Components

Steps 4, 5, & 6 will be up for much debate.

Though, there already exists a tonne of YT material for this kind of thing. I usually like to see things being done, since a lot of the requirements are antics of programming logic, and not necessary physical logic. (i.e. Some things you just have to be shown).

So you would really need to distinguish if it is really a useful tool, or something nobody will use. They could in conjunction with YT videos, but it might be a bit redundant and a waste of time, since they could just start their world.

I did say this a long time ago, but... Diving into FTB is a matter of inspiration. Gain inspiration/ideas from YT videos. Whether it be Etho (much influence for me), or other Let's Play-ers, they are a great resource to "get started". Once you have immersed yourself, begun learning the learning process (using wiki, etc. to cross reference), you will become autonomous in your ability to progress, and thus can become innovative on your own.

Somehow, that needs to be the aim of your tutorial.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Hmmm.
I did say this a long time ago, but... Diving into FTB is a matter of inspiration. Gain inspiration/ideas from YT videos. Whether it be Etho (much influence for me), or other Let's Play-ers, they are a great resource to "get started". Once you have immersed yourself, begun learning the learning process (using wiki, etc. to cross reference), you will become autonomous in your ability to progress, and thus can become innovative on your own.

Somehow, that needs to be the aim of your tutorial.

My thought behind this was that it would be a hands-on way for people to learn to use FTB. If they simply can't stand to sit through a 30 minute long spotlight, or are more tactile learners, using this pack would allow them to become acquainted with the mods at their own pace.

I. Starting tools (TiCo, etc.)
II. World Gen (remind them to take everything because they dunno what they want to do yet)
III. Ore Processing (IC2, TE, Mekanism, Factorization, blah blah blah)
IV. Low-Tier Mod Components
V. Mid-tier Mod Components
VI. End-tier Mod Components

I think this would be good, although with a few changes.

I. Starting tools
II. World Gen (remind them to take everything, when they acquire a new ore, tell them how to use it, or send them looking for a ore)
III. Power Sources (Including different quest lines for different mods, or just centered around EU and RF)
IV. Ore Processing (IC2, TE, Mekanism, Factorization, blah blah blah. Applied Energistics' Grinder has some great early-game maceration capability)
IV. Low-Tier Mod Components (Split Tech/Magic?)
V. Mid-tier Mod Components (Split Tech/Magic?)
VI. End-tier Mod Components (Split Tech/Magic?)

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It needs to be focused, like you had mentioned in your starting paragraph(s). i.e. "This is an IC2 tutorial", "This is a TE tutorial".

If somebody wants to delve into TC, they need a totally different tutorial.

Also, things like skipping steps, for those more interested in certain things, etc.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
It needs to be focused, like you had mentioned in your starting paragraph(s). i.e. "This is an IC2 tutorial", "This is a TE tutorial".

If somebody wants to delve into TC, they need a totally different tutorial.

Agreed

Also, things like skipping steps, for those more interested in certain things, etc.
Then wouldn't the Pack just be some books with youtube and wiki links in them?
I don't agree with skipping steps. This pack is for beginners, and even if they have some background knowledge, it's not like in normal FTB they can jump right to building quarries. If they were to skip quests, it'd be like jumping to those quarries. And, if they honestly wanted to learn something or other about some certain thing, they could just look it up on a wiki. I imagine this being more like a structured FTB adventure, where they can do whatever they want, while still learning. Of course the pack won't have very high replay value, but there's more people joining the modding community every day, and this would be a good way to get them started without having to watch hundreds of videos or read thousands of words.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
This would be a an interesting idea. One thing though... just for consistency... you must offer the mod without any info on how to use your tutorial modpack.

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, here is a cool idea, the tutorial pack gets maps made for them, if they are the adventurous kind, they can have a adventure map to explore, if they want to just learn, then a basic map is needed, it's just to catch basic interest of the person when they start? Just an idea?

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
Lol, I was just thinking I might want to try something like this, and here you go posting up the idea.

Count me in.

I'm thinking of having the quests just walk you through the tech progression of each mod as a separate series of quests.

I think we have to wait a bit for the HCQM to give us better documentation for this.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
This is a very good idea, if a custom modpack were to be made for it - which would contain a huge amount of mods and would cause lag!

Though I think it is a good idea, I personally prefer to learn as I play, rather than start two worlds, but that's just me! :) (1= Learning World; 2 = Survival World)

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the effort is worth it. I like the idea very much, but as has been said before, there are many alternatives for people to learn which may be less interactive, but more visual (YouTube). This is the primary reason that i think it would not be downloaded much. Not to mention you would have to make a new version whenever a mod changes if you want your tutorial up to date

The Skeptical Tech

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in favor of an "assisted survival world," where the grindy parts are sped up by giving the player better tools.

The first challenge could be teaching the player about the morph mod and having them go thru a mystcraft portal into the nether so they can fly. They would warp into a small bedrock box in the nether, and then be instructed to go back.

Then they would be instructed to retrieve something above the base we build them using bat mode. Once they do so, they would be given a full set of iron tools with decent enchants as well as enchanted iron iron. Nothing terribly OP, but mid tier.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in favor of an "assisted survival world," where the grindy parts are sped up by giving the player better tools.

The first challenge could be teaching the player about the morph mod and having them go thru a mystcraft portal into the nether so they can fly. They would warp into a small bedrock box in the nether, and then be instructed to go back.

Then they would be instructed to retrieve something above the base we build them using bat mode. Once they do so, they would be given a full set of iron tools with decent enchants as well as enchanted iron iron. Nothing terribly OP, but mid tier.
I wouldn't teach them about OP mods, in fact; I have just removed that mod from my pack as it ruins the aspect of the game and is too OP!
Maybe start with Adv Genetics, that is real teaching and actually relates more to real life...
Morphing....tuh....

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I really think you should do this. I get really frustrated some times when there are no tutorials on something or when a mod just is to hard to teach in a video. Plus I just think doing it myself will probably give me more experience for that mod than a little video would. I'll support you in this.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: RealSketch

XxSaRobz09xX

Jul 29, 2019
I think that would be good but not as modpack, it should be as a map in every modpack, it would use comment blocks that teleport you to tutorials of each mod in the modpack!

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I think that would be good but not as modpack, it should be as a map in every modpack, it would use comment blocks that teleport you to tutorials of each mod in the modpack!
I don't think you understand how it cannot be a map in every modpack, due to ID conflicts, mod incompatibilities and mods that are in some packs, and not in others! A completely new map would have to be created for every modpack, and that would take ages!

SuperSplit

Jul 29, 2019
Not really they can just save a certain mod area and then mcedit those into the respective mod pack maps. There is plenty of ways they could do it so they wouldn't have to completely redo each map.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk