Gregtech good or bad?

greg teh good or bad

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
Seems to me that the people who can deal with the complexity of 100% Greg tech, can probably deal with going into the config and enabling it all.
The people who hate Greg tech are the ones who would probably have the most difficulty turning it off.

Off by default.
I like Gregtech and the difficulty it provides, but it's hard to argue against this logic.
+1

bhblacky

Jul 29, 2019
the problem with the config is just, that everyone needs to have the same one as the server does, so it's not possible to play on diff. servers with diff. settings.
If the server settings would overwrite the local ones without crashing, it would be fine and no much talk would be needed for gregtech ;) simple as that actually.

the same with mystcraft linking book labels, i think most like the labels, but its disbabled by default, just this one option forces us to share the config.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... the launcher could get the option for an easy config-swap. Also a lot of server enable different ores than FTB enables by default. So there are a lot of reason to make sharing the configs more easy.

bhblacky

Jul 29, 2019
just an idea..

a config switch:: enable server config / enable local config
we actually would just need the option wich one should be the master

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
just an idea..

a config switch:: enable server config / enable local config
we actually would just need the option wich one should be the master

Well you won't even need this option.

If you are on a server you have to use the server-configs anway and if you play alone you also have to use local configs.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The matter fab is balanced for 24/7 running servers. In a SSP world, you'll want to adjust the energy cost by deleting one digit.

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019
Mineral blocks meaning?

And dunno Matterfab is fine if you automate it, besides you don't have to sit infront of it and watch it making UUM, do something else meanwhile :§

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
I've been running Minecraft about 20 hours a day for the last few days, getting UUM with a Mass Fabricator. I don't like running my computer that long, and I'm not even having to deal with the Matter Fabricator costs. Maybe I want to give my computer a rest, maybe I want to play a different game. Automation doesn't magically make the Matterfab "fine" for SSP.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
There must be something else you can do? Once you make a mass/matter fab you don't stand there waiting for it to produce UU, you get on with other things in the game. Start working on that project you want to start, or finish another project you started. Rearrange things to make your life easier etc. Maybe, if it is taking a long time, work out a way to get more energy into your system. Make some Soars, setup a geothermal, start a nuclear reactor.

The more you just sit there and wait for it to produce UU, the longer it will seem to take.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
I've been running Minecraft about 20 hours a day for the last few days, getting UUM with a Mass Fabricator. I don't like running my computer that long, and I'm not even having to deal with the Matter Fabricator costs. Maybe I want to give my computer a rest, maybe I want to play a different game. Automation doesn't magically make the Matterfab "fine" for SSP.

Why exactly do you have to run it that long? How about working to place more energy down. It is only 10 times slower or only 1.6 times slower if you would not have used scrap.

166.666 was old massfab + scrap, 1.000.000 was old massfab without scrap and 1.666.666 is new massfab with scrap. Getting an UUM every 30min is very easy (you only need about 80 EU/t). It is still very easy to produce a piece of UUM every 5 Minutes, which only needs 277 EU/t.

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
And an Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel takes over 500 UUM, assuming you're supplying the diamonds.
And my statement was inaccurate; letting Minecraft run (afk, if that wasn't clear) was for my 64x64 quarry.

My point is, on a server you can log off and the server will continue to do work for you (assuming chunkloaders). I can't do that with SSP; I need to have Minecraft running while I make lunch, watch a movie, and sleep, so that I can have the same advantage as server play; quarries, UUM generation, auto-bees, etc. So while the Matter Fabricator is fine and dandy when you can leave for two days and come back to a chest full of UUM, automation doesn't make it "fine" for SSP.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I have 3 advanced solars and a geothermal charging my MFE and with that I can very quickly charge nano armour and I am nowhere near getting a matter fab, but the energy should be fine, especially since I have been storing scrap for use.

Also, my point still stands with waiting. Do something else whilst waiting for the quarry. If you are waiting for a certain mineral to come out of it, go and do some manual mining and see if you get lucky that way. If you have a project planned, prepare the area. There shouldn't be any reason for you to just leave it idle.

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid I don't see the relevance to your point. I don't want to wait a few weeks before making my final Solar (which is accurate considering the dimension-hopping I'd do) and I don't want to play Minecraft 10 hours a day. My point was mostly to go with Omicron's; Matterfab was made for the 24/7 nature of servers. My SSP doesn't do 24/7.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using the Mass or Matter Fabricator? because so far, you have said both, so it can be hard to judge how much energy you are trying to accumulate.

Either way, I hope you are providing scrap because, as mentioned, it greatly reduces the energy requirement, so if you aren't already, you can do that. You should be getting a vast amount of cobble from your quarry anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, what are you using to get your energy? A couple of Solars won't be enough, however, get a Nuclear reactor going and you can get a ton of energy very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.