Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing I'd like to hear an explanation for is this post:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=120547#post120547
Especially the part where it sais "For the record, we have never spoken publically, privately, or indirectly. Please stop putting words in my mouth." and how it fits with how mDyio said "There was some indirect talk about the interaction though a messenger" in thread here. Is someone impersonating you?
Good lord, fanboy much? Every post i see from you is some lawyering on Greg's behalf. Is he your brother maybe? :D

NosePicker5555

Jul 29, 2019
I personally loved what Gregtech added, but I hated how he changed the bronze recipe and some other recipes. It was not his mod he should have asked to have the change modifying the base mod. That being said when he changed the wood and mDiyo changing it back mDiyo stepped over the line. Sure mDiyo should not have crossed it, but he was doing what Greg has already done making the wood recipe origionally and other recipes. Then Greg responds with the childish crash and the Pumpkin of Shame. Greg gets angry when things affect his mod but doesn't care about others. This war is just back and forth and pointless and neither ide should just affect the mods without permission.

PS: Jaded I feel bad for you having to go through this continuoss stream of comments. Respect :)

I think it's the other way around, Greg took it over the line by crashing people's games. mDiyo only added a recipe to the game[DOUBLEPOST=1374183277][/DOUBLEPOST]
I might be stupid, by I thought mDiyo was a lady.

Halp.

lol, no he is a male. Now back on topic ^-^

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Greg added code to crash a game that I payed real money for. Prior to this, he had a stupid message popping up. The message was annoying, but writing malicious code is illegal. If someone really wanted to, Greg could be charged in the US under federal laws relating to distributing malicious software. Beyond being a douche bag thing to do, he has broken the law. I used to be on the GT side because I really liked the mod, but purposely crashing my game because he got his panties in a bunch is going to far. Pretty sure he just alienated a huge group of his supporters.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's the other way around, Greg took it over the line by crashing people's games. mDiyo only added a recipe to the game

No. he only hacked a mod to get a recipe through GT into the game. There's a big difference. Crashing the game is still wrong though. So is hacking other peoples mods without their consent. And Mdiyo is also arrogant enough to tell to greg not to mess with anything that Mdiyo is doing.

What is going to end up happening is them overriding each others recipes until the startup takes hours or both of them MAN THE F*** up and talk it through.

Inacio

Jul 29, 2019
Thermal Expansion rendered much of Buildcrafts power systems obsolete, Buildcraft responded by improving their mod, shame others couldn't learn from that.

As much as I think Buildcraft is obsolete nowadays (pipes dropping shit on the floor? It's 2013!), Thermal Expansion makes it worthwhile. It's one of my favourite mods - full of features, polished and reasonably bugfree.

NosePicker5555

Jul 29, 2019
Greg added code to crash a game that I payed real money for. Prior to this, he had a stupid message popping up. The message was annoying, but writing malicious code is illegal. If someone really wanted to, Greg could be charged in the US under federal laws relating to distributing malicious software. Beyond being a douche bag thing to do, he has broken the law. I used to be on the GT side because I really liked the mod, but purposely crashing my game because he got his panties in a bunch is going to far. Pretty sure he just alienated a huge group of his supporters.

I don't think it was malicious software, you can take the "M.Code" out of the game if you really wanted to.
I wouldn't consider it malicious, just very douchey

NosePicker5555

Jul 29, 2019
No. he only hacked a mod to get a recipe through GT into the game. There's a big difference. Crashing the game is still wrong though. So is hacking other peoples mods without their consent. And Mdiyo is also arrogant enough to tell to greg not to mess with anything that Mdiyo is doing.

What is going to end up happening is them overriding each others recipes until the startup takes hours or both of them MAN THE F*** up and talk it through.

I disagree completely..

relight

Jul 29, 2019
I've just registered just to reply to this thread.

I personally think GT has overstepped the border by touching vanilla stuff. Who is to say 1 lumber= 4 planks is badly "balanced"? Minecraft is the Minecraft we like and there was no problem with it, why fix something if it's not broken?

I'm waiting for Greg to "FIX" Computercraft and Thaurmcraft recipes to his standard, the community reaction will be interesting.

"I personally think that Turtles are too good and it should be in the end game tier. New recipe: Advanced Solar Panel+2 Platinum circuit(NEW ITEM)+ 4Steel plate+Monitor(new recipe). BTW, now Turtles only have 1 hp and and any attack from mobs will destroy it"

Reactions: sks0315

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think it was malicious software, you can take the "M.Code" out of the game if you really wanted to.
I wouldn't consider it malicious, just very douchey
Purposely and knowingly distributing software that will cause a crash is the definition of malicious code. It was not an accident or an unintended conflict. You were not informed it was there. This is no different than anything else you download that has something hidden in it that is there for malicious purposes.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
I've just registered just to reply to this thread.

I personally think GT has overstepped the border by touching vanilla stuff. Who is to say 1 lumber= 4 planks is badly "balanced"? Minecraft is the Minecraft we like and there was no problem with it, why fix something if it's not broken?

I'm waiting for Greg to "FIX" Computercraft and Thaurmcraft recipes to his standard, the community reaction will be interesting.

"I personally think that Turtles are too good and it should be in the end game tier. New recipe: Advanced Solar Panel+2 Platinum circuit(NEW ITEM)+ 4Steel plate+Monitor(new recipe). BTW, now Turtles only have 1 hp and and any attack from mobs will destroy it"
Greg thinks turtles are OP, and computercraft can be used to crash servers, so he doesn't play with them.

Reactions: NosePicker5555

hhhjort

Jul 29, 2019
One reason I have been following this thread is I am interested to see what the final decision of slowpoke/ftb will be. It is a hard choice. On one hand you have the possibility of Greg throwing temper tantrums and negatively impacting modpack maintenance in the future. On the other hand there is a user base that is still interested in playing with GT. There is no real solution that doesn't negatively impact someone, so the "right" course of action is not obvious. I don't envy Slowpoke having to choose and take the heat for his choice.

As to the Greg vs. mDiyo debate, mDiyo is not blameless, he has been provoking Greg a bit. But Greg's actions have been much worse, mDiyo comes out far above Greg in this altercation.

There is also a thought that perhaps mDiyo's provoking was necessary. I think of a family gathering where there is the one uncle with very racist views. Is it best for everyone to be polite and do their best to steer the topic of discussion as far away from race as possible, or is it better to call the uncle out on his views and get the issue out in the open? I am not sure what the best answer is with respect to this GregTech issue. I would tend towards not confronting since it seems that most people agree Greg will not change his ways. On the other hand, there is the Tekkit example. Most users were likely completely unaware of the issues with mod author permissions until something like Sengir sabotaging bees in the pack brought it out into the open for the casual user. So this whole thing does bring some light on the difficulty in maintaining a modpack with GT, and to a lesser extent the mods mDiyo writes. Perhaps some users will take that into consideration when voicing their opinion on which mods the FTB crew should be putting their limited time in.

Multiple difficult ethical questions in this thread. That could be why it generates so much heat.

As for what I might do in Slowpoke's shoes:

1) Keep all the 1.4.7 packs with GT available, and maintained. At this point its unlikely that any new versions for 1.4.7 will come out, but if it does come to pass keep GT in and updated them as they would have been updated if this controversy never came up.

2) 1.5.2 wgt and ngt ... keep on with these as well, don't kick the wgt users to the curb overnight. Perhaps hold back a wgt update if needed to get a GT version that plays nice with the pack. And of course everyone is welcome to move to ngt if they wish to stop playing and supporting GT. Users can vote with their feet.

3) Future FTB pack. This is the tough one. 1.5.2 wgt might be the last official FTB pack. Would depend on what sort of demand for GT exists, and how much Slowpoke trusts Greg to behave in the future.

4) Future 3rd Party packs. The contents should be the responsibility of the third party maintainers. If they wish to put up with potential GregTech headaches, I don't think it is FTB's place to ban them.

I don't believe what mDiyo has done warrents the removal of his mods. Thus only GT is up for consideration on my chopping block

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
An red messege displayed entering world saying there is conflicting recipe is enough. Crash? Gone too far.
BTW, making hammer without hammer is same as makking pick without hammer.

Xiges

Jul 29, 2019
Wellp, with everyone saying MDiyo is hacking Greg's mod, you have to keep in mind that the only thing that Greg's mod does is hack other mods.

I personally won't be using gregtech until this is all sorted out, but someone honestly had to tell Greg to back off nerfing other people's mods. It's an addon to IC2, not any other mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.