Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
No. he only hacked a mod to get a recipe through GT into the game. There's a big difference. Crashing the game is still wrong though. So is hacking other peoples mods without their consent. And Mdiyo is also arrogant enough to tell to greg not to mess with anything that Mdiyo is doing.

What is going to end up happening is them overriding each others recipes until the startup takes hours or both of them MAN THE F*** up and talk it through.

He didn't mess with GT; he simply made a recipe that goes last.

Never did he at all touch GT; he can confirm this himself.

He did exactly what Gregtech has always done; put a recipe that loaded last.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I would prefer my modpacks would not have malware. I've stated my opinion on this, I'll state it again. I'm on mDiyo's side on this. Tinkers Construct is a way more creative mod, and tons of fun to use. Yes, GT was fun to use, in 1.4, now it is Nerf Heaven. I say heaven because I will not be using it anymore. I do not want to support a modder if I feel he is... let's just save the mods some time, I don't like the guy. Greg is an immature, child, who just wants to make TFC. If I wanted TFC, I would play TFC. GT was a good mod that added complexity to factories, now, it is not. It is a pile of garbage waiting to nerf more stuff. Most of his nerfs now don't even affect him, he just wants to add more, useless garbage (file, saw). Someone on the IC2 forums said, "stone tools are far overpowered". I do not understand this, they are one of the earliest tiers of tools, and can only mine iron and coal. The wood, stone, and iron nerfs are completely ridiculous. I will not be using GregTech for a while since this incident. mDiyo, keep up the good work.

Edit: I forgot to say, GregTech is constantly changing other mods in huge amounts, along with Vanilla. Which is why it is completely hypocritical for Greg to throw a fit over mDiyo changing one of the key aspects of Vanilla mineCraft.

dwbzuggy

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I feel both developers are in error. I'll give Greg credit for adding configs, but he really seems to be focused on his mod as the be all, end all. He is very arrogant in many of his posts and has alienated other IC2 modders. mDiyo also deserves credit for fixing a perceived injustice to other mod developers. In the end this is very childish behavior and, for their own benefit, I hope companies they develop for now and in the future don't hear about these kinds of deliberate hacks/attacks on mod users as they are the ones that ultimately suffer. As a senior lead developer in a rather large company, I would hire neither based on their actions.

Subsequently, I no longer utilize either of their mods, same as other mod developers that intentionally add harmful code to their mods, regardless of how creative I think their mods are.

I will give credit to developers like KingLemmingCOFH (ThermalExpansion), Pahimar (EE2/3) and Azanor (Thaumcraft) for making mods that play well, interact well and try to augment the mod user's gaming experience in a positive way. Software developers like them do a service to the modding community, not drive users away.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019
I think RichardG should do what mdyo did.
Gregtech can't be made to crash with IC because it is add-on.

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
He didn't mess with GT; he simply made a recipe that goes last.

Never did he at all touch GT; he can confirm this himself.

He did exactly what Gregtech has always done; put a recipe that loaded last.

Oh please. He knows really well how GT operates. Mdiyo made a recipe after init phase and he had to do special code to do that. That's what i call malicious software. I do know this since i've read the code, have you?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I'm waiting for Greg to "FIX" Computercraft and Thaurmcraft recipes to his standard, the community reaction will be interesting.

Many mods add config settings that use Greg's items so that they're more compatible with his mod. For example, Modular Power Suits, MFR, Advanced Solars. Greg had nothing to do with these.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Oh please. He knows really well how GT operates. Mdiyo made a recipe after init phase and he had to do special code to do that. That's what i call malicious software. I do know this since i've read the code, have you?

I know.

And I also know that Greg has done precisely the same thing. What makes him so special? "Oh, well i nurf eeerrythin' so this gon be 'aight to!"

Either Greg is a massive hypocrite, or you're flaunting a gigantic double standard.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I think RichardG should do what mdyo did.
Gregtech can't be made to crash with IC because it is add-on.
That would be stooping down to greg's level. While richardG has been described as annoying in some cases, but he's a smart guy.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Many mods add config settings that use Greg's items so that they're more compatible with his mod. For example, Modular Power Suits, MFR, Advanced Solars. Greg had nothing to do with these.

That wasn't what relight was saying. There is a difference between being compatible, and Greg changing recipes because "dey r 2 op guise". Computers requiring iridum, 1 of an aspect per item, etc.

flappy

Jul 29, 2019
How is adding recipes in postinit malicious in any way, pray tell?

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
That wasn't what relight was saying. There is a difference between being compatible, and Greg changing recipes because "dey r 2 op guise". Computers requiring iridum, 1 of an aspect per item, etc.

What are you replying to? He just said that most of the recipe overwrites are done by their respective mod owners and not gregtech. jeez.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019

You keep saying that you've read the code. I really doubt that you even know how code works. I wouldn't really call what Meiyo did "malicious code" when it really does nothing more than change a recipe. If Greg can do it, why can't he? Give me one good reason.

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
Greg insists that since he has config options to turn off his changes, that makes everything fine. However, this last batch, with the durability of tools nerfing, the wood nerf, the making of iron tools into a pointlessly difficult process... these are things he should have put into his configs, not into the game by default.

"Hey, guys, want a real challenge? Turn on the woodnerf/toolnerf options in the config!" would have been perfectly fine, and nobody would have had a problem. But no - Greg insists his way is the best way and puts the burden of opting out on the player. Configs can also be used to opt in, man.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
What are you replying to? He just said that most of the recipe overwrites are done by their respective mod owners and not gregtech. jeez.

I'm waiting for Greg to "FIX" Computercraft and Thaurmcraft recipes to his standard, the community reaction will be interesting.
I was responding to

CrissHill

Jul 29, 2019
I was responding to
Yes, What Siro said was: Most of those recipes are overwritten by Modular power suits FOR modular power suits, MFR for MFR, Advanced Solars for Advanced Solars.. Greg isnt overwriting them. So your fear for greg "FIXING" computercraft and thaumcraft are almost completely baseless.

It's malicious when it's done in that intent.

So is the recipe override.

Anikdote

Jul 29, 2019
Oh please. He knows really well how GT operates. Mdiyo made a recipe after init phase and he had to do special code to do that. That's what i call malicious software.
If reverting a modified recipe to it's original version is what you call malicious code, then you have an extremely lose definition. How is this change, other than the point of initiation any different from any of the changes that Greg routinely makes in his code. You sound quite far from objective on the matter, sadly that's incredibly typical of those who defend Greg's actions. Yes mDyio modified a recipe, yes he did it atypically, but he didn't crash anyone's game, that you are overlooking that very simple fact is difficult to understand.

I do know this since i've read the code, have you?

Yup, throwing exceoptions unnecessarily is a direct assault on end users in order to further an attack against another mod author. The pumpkin thing was fine, creating an exception to crash the game if you attempt to modify a recipe is egregious.

No one who writes any code would ever defend this.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, What Siro said was: Most of those recipes are overwritten by Modular power suits FOR modular power suits, MFR for MFR, Advanced Solars for Advanced Solars.. Greg isnt overwriting them. So your fear for greg "FIXING" computercraft and thaumcraft are almost completely baseless.

So is the recipe override.

I am not talking about Solars, MFR, or Powersuits, though Greg doesn't touch Solars in anyway. I am talking about if/when he decides to "fix" ThaumCraft and ComputerCraft recipes because they are too OP, just like he did with BC, bronze, and a few others, I just don't feel like browsing a config, I did it all night for other mods last night, I don't want to do more of it, just for no purpose. Sorry.[DOUBLEPOST=1374186578][/DOUBLEPOST]
No one who writes any code would ever defend this.

Maybe someone who writes viruses. :p

Reactions: NosePicker5555
Status
Not open for further replies.