greg has lost his mind.......

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
yes but this isnt what people usually say, they say tedium is NOT fun. Ive argued this same point in 10 different gregtech discussions, Ive never been able to get people to agree that tedium IS fun in measured doses, because it makes the end goal more satisfying. They just feel greg added too much.

I wouldn't say 'most' people dont like gregtech. I think you cited Unleashed as being more popular as proof of gregtech not being popular, but ive read a lot of people playing 'Unleashed plus Gregtech'. Unhinged is a entirely new level of challenge, from what ive seen, compared to Ultimate. As ive said before, i think a lot of it has to do with how much time people have to play. Ill probably play unhinged, but i have kids so i might cheat a bit and just go Unleashed plus Gregtech.

Unleashed without gregtech? Too easy for me IMO. But 'easy' is defined differently by each person of course.
Tedium is not fun. Period. But if the reward is great enough, people will endure it. I loved TC3, but in SSP, I'd never do the research twice. I'd just cheat because it's too time consuming and tedious. You're even admitting to your own threshold by not playing unhinged.

That honestly confuses me about your arguments. You're not using a current pack yet you defend tedium constantly. You won't start over and grind again, yet you present your arguments about grinding as if you do it regularly. And now you're saying you'd prefer GT added to unleashed because you need time to do other things. It's like you're accepting the time & tedium argument, yet refuting it simultaneously.

As far as "most people" not liking GT, it's hard to quantify. But a true GT fan will only play unhinged with no configuration changes. The main GT threads here are about adding it to unleashed and/or configuration changes. Plenty of people just want his IC2 addons without the grind. Honestly, that crowd also includes you by your own admission.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
So wait, after all the recipe nerfing, machine nerfing, game nerfing ideas GT comes up with, he creates one that isn't a massive nerf and he "loses his mind"????

LOL the poor guy can't win!!!

Reactions: Pokefenn and zorn

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
Ive never been able to get people to agree that tedium IS fun in measured doses. -snip-
  1. te·di·um

/ˈtēdēəm/

Noun
    The state of being tedious: "the tedium of winter nights".

Synonyms
    boredom - ennui - weariness - monotony - tediousness

te·di·ous

/ˈtēdēəs/

Adjective
    Too long, slow, or dull: tiresome or monotonous: "a tedious journey".

Synonyms
    tiresome - wearisome - dull - prosy - irksome - weary

The very definition of the word defies its ability to be fun. If it was fun, it wouldn't be tedious. If its tedious, its not fun. The two are mutually exclusive.

Now, on topic, as far as I'm aware, the only reason the osmium recipes are in GT is because Greg added support for UE-related mods, of which, Mekanism adds Osmium. So its actually not Gregs fault that there so much Osmium...

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft should not be, and is not about reward/punishment.

Edit: And I think it would be interesting to see the number of unique downloads for Unhinged vs. Unleashed.

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
Id don't understand how putting down 20 boilers is fun, but gregtech is not. 'resources and building and infrastructure? This is the point of an industrial grinder taking more energy to run. It forces you to build more infrastructure, and slows down game progression. Faster game progression means things move towards creative mode style of player more quickly, and getting there too fast is not fun, otherwise people would just play creative. HOW fast is up for debate though.
Faster game progression means that I'll get more interesting stuff before I say "screw this shit". And actually I haven't ever made 20 boilers - I don't need that much boilers. I'd better try something else, AS fusion reactor or something else. But with GT you will need 10 or even more boilers, yep. You will need those stupid solar "arrays" of one block.
This is kind of silly, it just looks cool to have a big machine, how is a 'true' multiblock better than how greg did it?
The real multiblock is something that makes sense. My facourite example is AS fusion reactor. The reactor itself is just a plasma generator. You need to make a contaiment that contains plasma and heats water, and turbines that produce power. That makes sense. The blocks actually do something and the reactor is not just a single block that needs to be adjacent to a certain structure. Or particle accelerator that requires an acceleration ring.
it's not supposed to really be more interesting, its supposed to slow down game progression. So if a person is playing SSP or has little time to devote to the game, then gregtech is annoying. If i couldnt use chunk loaders, id probably go nuts with clogging up my blast furnace with aluminum from all the clay i get. id need like 5 of them at least. As it is, i built a second one and run it all day on aluminum, basically.

The slow machine and high power is just another way of looking at the game. Some people want to get to End Game in a week, others want it to take months. It's not wrong, just different.
Be careful with those words, since that's what I'm saying. GT is not supposed to be interesting. It's supposed to prevent me from getting interesting stuff.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Now, on topic, as far as I'm aware, the only reason the osmium recipes are in GT is because Greg added support for UE-related mods, of which, Mekanism adds Osmium. So its actually not Gregs fault that there so much Osmium...

No, but he was well aware of how much osmium there was in mekanism before adding his recipe, therefore it is his "fault" if you can call it that

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
No, but he was well aware of how much osmium there was in mekanism before adding his recipe, therefore it is his "fault" if you can call it that

He doesn't actually do that, that's the Mekanism dev.
GregoriousT said:
These are all changes I do to other Mods per default. And I mean ALL of them:

Buildcraft Quarry Recipe changed to contain Diamond Drill (Configurable).
Forestrys Bronze Crafting Recipe.
Universal Electricity Plates to use the GT Ways of getting Plates, what is even a Buff.

That is ALL. I change NOTHING else of other Mods per default. If another Mod decides to use GT Components, then it's the Mod causing that and not GT. If you stumble upon "Gregorium Ingot" then it's RichardG adding that Stuff, and not me. Do you still think I am the one nerfing everything?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Pretty sure Osmium is not from GregTech.
Go blame whoever added it for making the ore, that is super mega rare in real life (IT IS THE LEAST COMMON METAL ON THE PLANET) so common. In Real life, the majority of the osmium found is actually in a Compound that is heavily Iridium based. This recipe makes complete sense, it is just whoever adds osmium ore that doesn't.
Yes, because Minecraft absolutely MUST adhere to reality, and any deviation from that is strictly prohibited. In a game where there are creepers which self-explode, a thinly disguised version of the Slenderman, and you fight a Dragon. But Notch forbid you should make a mod which uses an improper mineral name. :rolleyes:

Mekanism has been using Osmium for quite some time now. If Greg decides this is suddenly a problem, he can simply use his specific mod's ore rather than using the OreDict_Osmium. Problem solved.

You know, if it ever was a problem to begin with, that is. After all, it's not like there are any mod packs currently out that I am aware of that have both Mekanism and GregTech installed, so anyone coming across this would have had to have manually installed one or the other in the first place. For fear of pulling the FTB's Godwin, at that point he could have simply installed 'dirt2diamond'. Would that have made GregTech any more or less balanced?

GregTech simply doesn't play well with other mods, hence why it got banished to its own mod pack. So the fact that there is now another exploit due to interaction with another mod is somehow surprising?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

Naturally, there's a config for that.

Gregtech.cfg
B:UniversalElectricity.Energy=true

Set to false to disable compatibility. Or edit whatever options in Mekanism are available concerning world generation that's putting so much ore there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.