Direwolf20 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Both...

Garbage collection is a big problem in MC. Setting so much RAM let's a lot of shit pile up in memory then the GC tries to purge it all at once and u get lag. Less RAM causes the GC to run more frequently and therfore has less to dump so less likely to lag you.

Also look for some JVM arguments to help with it(beyond my scope but they are out there)

You'll most likely never need more than 3 gigs client, watch server RAM usage if it starts getting close add more but start with 3 and I doubt you'll need more.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
From http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/direwolf20-1-7-10-released.53915/
As for server and client recommendations; we are currently recommending 2GB Minimum RAM, 4GB Maximum Ram and 256MB Permgen (these can be set in advanced options on the FTB Launcher)

For servers that the default config comes with should be good for up to 8 players. Beyond that, you may need to talk to your server providers.

Finally, we do recommend for those that are having frame rate issues you can also try Player's experimental mod Fastcraft. It is recommended client side as well as server side for SMP. Please be aware that once again we can provide no support for server software like Cauldron at this time.

We are creating a new section of the Forums for Direwolf20 tech support and questions, you can find this at the following Link. If you find any bugs or issues, please post them here.
4GB Max is currently recommended, actually.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
anyone haveing the issue of no nether quartz spawning flew around the nether for abit and found none at all plenty of ardite/cobalt but no nether quartz

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Can anyone explain why I generated plains with TNT trees and Dispensers on the ground? Recommended 1.0.1 version, Seed is The THUNDERDOME!. On a line through the village from spawn and you should see them. Not complaining, just strange.

It_IS_Lupus

Jul 29, 2019
Ah yeh forgot about that
Also i am using Java 8 Update 25 (64-bit) with 0 problems. Not even NEI breaks for me (which is a problem i have seen multiple people talking about)
And to add to the whole java thing i have used 8.25 since the modpack got released so i dont know why people have problems with it ^^ DW20 1.0.1 runs perfectly fine on j8rev25

I can second this. The only problem i have is after many hours of playing I'll Crash to desktop with a "option max permgen ignored. no longer supported" error. but i believe that's a launcher problem and not the pack.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
I've found plenty of nether quartz
found the issue i dont use BOP for worldgen so i disabled it and for some reason it causes no nether quartz to spawn after enableing it and deleteing the DIM-1 folder to regen the nether i found a ton

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
I just started Thaumcraft last night in the new Dw20 pack, and build the Mana-infused Inkwell (from Botania), but it seems Thaumcraft doesn't recognize it. It keeps telling me it's out of ink, even though I just crafted it. This is both in the Research Table & in my inventory (for research notes). Anyone else seeing this?

Yeraze

Jul 29, 2019
Well i've been trying that.. I throw it in, it comes right back out no change.. it's never been used, so I would assume it's full right?

CC_RRR

Jul 29, 2019
Did you set the mana pool to spare mana to items? Not sure if it matter in this case but maybe

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Right, so my dispenser fields and TNTrees seem to be something to do with Biomes o' Plenty. One occurred in a Moor Biome and another in a Maple Woods biome. Curious.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Yet another good reason to turn off Meteor word gen. Sorry Algo, but that mechanic is just bad.

I love that sort of worldgen, but yeah, the problem is... the first meteor or two you come across, you think "Wow, that's cool!". But by the time you've played a modpack for a few weeks, and explored a large territory and realize that these meteors are all over the place... it's just over-done. But it MUST be over-done, because of SMP server play. The mod developer knows he can't limit his worldgen and make it finite/rare, otherwise people might not be able to progress the mod properly... so we end up with infinite world-gen. The obvious solution, as you propose, is to remove the world-gen entirely and do it another way, which is disappointing to me because I think this game needs more "wow, that's cool!" world-gen, and not less. It just needs to be done right, and not turn it into "spamming" - this is probably the paradox of being a mod designer, the problem of keeping both SSP and SMP players happy.

One of my favorite parts of Minecraft is that there are only 3 Strongholds, and you have to find one of them before you can get to The End dimension. They are rare, and limited. But again, this doesn't work well for SMP, many servers seem to just create a common End Portal for all users. What else can they do? They cannot let one player destroy all the End portals and leave players with no way to get there. But that obviously ruins all the "fun" of finding and getting to a Stronghold End Portal...

Last edited: